Z8 Recall update (for the strap lug)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Given the traumatic pattern and issues with the Z9 over a long period that most people have forgotten about
What? I only remember one issue, and I don't even remember what it is at this point since it was resolved quickly.
I have said for some time now Nikon needs to raise the level of QC inspection rates, and specification standards across the board, the risk is damaging the brand, well for me i have lost my confidence in the brand already, its far from what it used to be, and before the wagon starts with oh but its new technology, that's not a justification, just an excuse.
Then feel free to not bother with nikon. All in all (z8 aside), I think they've done pretty well across the board in recent years.
If i go out on a once in a life time trip or shoot its the D850, D6, or Rented A1 with 100-400, 200-600.
That's unfortunate, I'd happily take my z9.
I am a Z9 owner, well for now, i still use my D850 a lot, D3X for tripod work and model shoots, rented D6 for really deadly challenging stuff, i am defiantly not investing into much of the Z system.
I'm not sure why you're using a much worse camera (d3x) for anything, when the z9 does a better job by far. Your choice, but it doesn't make sense to me. I feel like you're probably overly harsh on the z9, when it's not a camera problem, but I could be wrong.

only my opinions ;)

If all Z8's are affected it smells like a design issue....
If all the Z8's are affected why do they ask you to provide the serial number in order to determine if a specific camera needs to be returned? I'm guessing that they discovered the source of the problem and fixed it and after that point the cameras produced are not affected.

If all the Z8's are affected why do they ask you to provide the serial number in order to determine if a specific camera needs to be returned? I'm guessing that they discovered the source of the problem and fixed it and after that point the cameras produced are not affected.

First Off, I was responding to RichF's post when I said "If all Z8's are affected it smells like a design issue...."
Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 10.29.10 PM.png

Yes, Obviously at some point IF it was a design issue, (or a assembly issue) at some point they corrected it and moved on (rather than keep sending them out needing a recall). Therefore any SN's after that do not need to be recalled. So, they need a SN for that.
BUT - IF every Z8 up to that point is (now was) affected then it smells like a design (or process) issue. YMMV. I'm moving on.

I'm waiting for a label, according to Nikon I'm in the queue to get a label, and even though I have a label printed in June, if they're this backed up I don't want to send it and have it sitting there for months waiting to be fixed. So far, the lugs are fine and I've had no problem attaching any lenses.

Mine to be collected tomorrow, for Nikon UK - given priority since I had mentioned the lug problem when I returned it for the lens mount SA. Very courteous response from the Service Advisor I dealt with last time.

Mine to be collected tomorrow, for Nikon UK - given priority since I had mentioned the lug problem when I returned it for the lens mount SA. Very courteous response from the Service Advisor I dealt with last time.
I haven't spoken to anyone. Filled out the paperwork online (the second time, the first being for the lens issue, now it's the lug thing.) I didn't send it back then since there was so much hoopla about UPS (the courier) going on strike. I didn't want it to be left in one of their trucks or warehouses if they walked off the job. So, now the lug issue, which also affects my camera. If I'd have sent it in earlier and gotten it back, I'd just have to send it in again. My camera would have seen more of NY than I have! Anyhow, I packed it up, if the label doesn't come soon, I'll unbox it and use it. I'm glad Nikon is taking care of these issues, but it seems they've overwhelmed themselves.

I ordered a Z8 from Orms Cape Town over the weekend. Interestingly they say they had all Z8's held in stock repaired for both recalls by Nikon South Africa.
Still waiting to get something in writing from Nikon, as I am based in Namibia with closest service center in South Africa and cross border for repairs is a paperwork nightmare.
Thanks Elsa (Winston Churchill on forum) for the assist with a contact to confirm whether they could do repairs before shipping.

Not sure if everyone will want a brand new camera opened up for repairs before delivery, but I prefer this way. They also gave a nice 500USD trade assist discount with training any film SLR or DSLR, so I sent them an ancient D50...

Last edited:
Not sure if everyone will want a brand new camera opened up for repairs before delivery, but I prefer this way. They also gave a nice 500USD trade assist discount with training any film SLR or DSLR, so I sent them an ancient D50...
Ancient D50? I still have the original D40 I got in 2008, my first Nikon purchase. I keep it around for my grandkids to use. 😄

Do you insure the Z8 when doing the UPS return? Just got the pre-paid shipping label, going in for both recalls. Insurance at Postal Annex was $140 for $5000 value on a recent non-warranty Z9 repair.

Do you insure the Z8 when doing the UPS return? Just got the pre-paid shipping label, going in for both recalls. Insurance at Postal Annex was $140 for $5000 value on a recent non-warranty Z9 repair.
I am going on the assumption that Nikon has insurance on these shipments. If I had to pay $140 because their faulty manufacturing caused a recall of their product, I'd be talking to an attorney. Just like when my car had the airbag recall, the dealer provided me with a rental car for no charge to me.

I don't, but then my camera gear is also covered under a separate insurance policy.

I haven't heard of anyone claiming to have run into an issue with shipping their camera to Nikon yet (someone did post that they discovered damage when they received their camera back). If you did encounter an issue, you would probably have to take it up with Nikon and/or UPS.

Last edited:
On another note, I just dropped my camera off at UPS. I feel like I was sending a child off. I hope I did everything I needed to do, packing it up as carefully as I could, including the packing list in the box. Copying my settings on the memory card, putting it back to factory by removing my strap, eyepiece (and putting the original back on), taking out the battery, and putting the cap on the front of the camera. Keeping my fingers crossed it makes it to NY safely and back to me again.

I don't, but then my camera gear is also covered under a separate insurance policy.

I haven't heard of anyone claiming to have run into an issue with shipping their camera to Nikon yet (someone did post that they discovered damage when they received their camera back). If you did encounter an issue, you would probably have to take it up with Nikon and/or UPS.
Check your policy. Most policies do not cover the gear if you hand it over to Fed Ex, UPS, USPS or other shipper. They generally insure the gear while it is under your care and protection.

Back