Z8 Recommended Reading Material.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

la551ve3

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The subject above says it all. I appreciate there probably not much out there specifically written for the Z8 but while I wait for the camera to arrive any suggested reading to help me get prepared?

Read Steve Perry’s setup guide for the Z9 for wildlife shooting and the AF for Nikon Mirrorless Cameras. The menus in the Z8 plus the same Af system as the Z9 will get you a good start for setting up and using a Z8. I looked closely at a z8 yesterday and the menu system looked exactly the same as the z9. With only 2 fn buttons on the right of the lens mount vs the three on the Z9, that will be one think that is different than the Z9. Also the buttons on the grip of the Z9 will not be there.

It will be interesting to see how quickly Steve Perry will take to add the Z8 to his AF settings book.

Yes, my Z9 book will soon be the Z8/9 book :) I'm already well into it and although there are some adjustments, 95% or more of that book applies to the Z8. Like, perfectly applies. As much as I'd like to cash in on another book, I don't like the idea of people with both cameras buying two books that are nearly the same. Also, the Z8 update to the book is going to be free, so if you get it now, you'll be able to update at no cost. :)

The subject above says it all. I appreciate there probably not much out there specifically written for the Z8 but while I wait for the camera to arrive any suggested reading to help me get prepared?
You might consider downloading the Z8 manual from the Nikon website once it is available. I did before my Z9 arrived and I found I had a solid understanding of the camera once it was in hand. Since the Z8 is essentially the same camera with the same menus, downloading the Z9 manual could also work for you. And it’s free! Similarly, Steve’s Z9 book would offer the same opportunity to learn the camera and it’s available now.

Last edited:
Yes, my Z9 book will soon be the Z8/9 book :) I'm already well into it and although there are some adjustments, 95% or more of that book applies to the Z8. Like, perfectly applies. As much as I'd like to cash in on another book, I don't like the idea of people with both cameras buying two books that are nearly the same. Also, the Z8 update to the book is going to be free, so if you get it now, you'll be able to update at no cost. :)
I am happy to hear this. I definitely bought the book immediately after ordering the Z8 without thinking it might be a separate book :p

apparently Thom Hogan is preparing a Z8 book - not a combined Z8/Z9 version. 90% or more will be identical. And Nikon’s press release indicated there are planned firmware updates for the Z8 pending - so it will have to be modified soon
Thom might need to though. My book is a setup guide aimed mostly at wildlife shooters (although I may adjust it down the road for "nature photography" and incorporate landscape settings too). Thom's books go over every. single. aspect. of. each. camera. So, he might need two books.

For me, the setup is so similar it seemed like a money grab to make Z9 and Z8 shooters buy the (basically) same book twice. Sure, there are a few notes and exceptions, but nothing too intense.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like Steve's Z9/Z8 book will be perfect for what I need. I am afraid that my knowledge of my old Nikon D610 is somewhat casual. I learned just enough to do landscape photography, then adapted that to wildlife photography with almost no adjustments. Renting the Z9 a year ago forced me too look more deeply into what's possible. Until I used the Z9, I never considered the value of manual mode for shutter speed and Aperture settings, plus auto ISO with an upper limit. Back button focus was something I occasionally used, but now I see value in sticking with it. Those two changes had a big impact on using my D610.

My plan is to learn everything I can about my preordered Z8. A deep dive into its capabilities should improve my photography and exercise this 74 year-old brain.

I just went through the transition to Nikon mirrorless. Steve’s Z9 setup book is invaluable! You do need to spend some time in it and may need to re-read some parts for it to totally sink in but it will get you where you want. I also recommend purchaseing Steve’s “Secrets to the Nikon Autofocus System - Mirrorless Edition“ as the are some goodies in there that aren’t in the Z9 setup guide.

Thom might need to though. My book is a setup guide aimed mostly at wildlife shooters (although I may adjust it down the road for "nature photography" and incorporate landscape settings too). Thom's books go over every. single. aspect. of. each. camera. So, he might need two books.

For me, the setup is so similar it seemed like a money grab to make Z9 and Z8 shooters buy the (basically) same book twice. Sure, there are a few notes and exceptions, but nothing too intense.
I'd be interested if you did have an update (or even a separate one) for landscape shooting. I like to dabble, and learning from an expert always gives steps up in the process.

I appreciate your integrity on the Z9/Z8 book upgrade @Steve . I purchased both the Z9 and the AF MIrrorless edition yesterday. I have your previous books and they were immensely helpful when I set up my D850. I would be interested in the landscape info in a future edition as well. Although I mainly shoot wildlife and flowers, I dabble (and am interested) in landscape and Astrophotography. Any additional info I can gain is always appreciated.

Thom Hogan confirmed last night that he will do a separate book on the Z8. He hopes to have it ready when Z8 cameras start shipping.
I recommend that you get Steve's book on the Z8/Z9 and Thom's book. That is what I did for my Z9. I use both of them for different things.

I bought steve's and thom's books for my lowly Z5. Both are excellent--Steve's are far funnier, as his is excellent autofocus book.
Yep…Thom’s book is an excellent reference on every possible setting and the various options…but it’s really dry and is useful as a reference. Steve’s only talk about the settings that matter for wildlife…which is most of what I care about…and he’s funnier as you say…and I actually enjoyed reading and rereading his books. TBH…I think Thom is just looking to sell another book by doing a Z8 specific one because the vast majority of it will be the same as the Z9 one.

Back