Z8 Trigger Remote Options

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RecalcitrantRon

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have the Nikon 10 pin MC-30A trigger remote. It works fine on the Z8 except, I like to shoot vertical on a tripod and the angle of the 10 pin connector blocks mounting of the camera with the Kirk L bracket. The only way to get it to work is to offset the mount to the left about 50 percent. Connection to the ball head is still tight, but I was wondering if there is a better way? I wonder if my old Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote will work?

Last edited:
I have the leofoto L bracket and have no issue shooting vertical on a tripod with my cheap Vello trigger (The Leofoto and Smallrig L brackets are identical). The trigger is a bare bones basic trigger similar to the Nikon 30A, requires no batteries, it's only about $9 on B&H. Probably not the best quality product, I might buy a second one as a back up incase the other one breaks. It's a tight fit, but works fine.

20240424_132644_resized.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem. Z8, RRS modular L bracket, old vello trigger with 10 pin connector cable. I can't mount the camera on my tripod in portrait orientation with the vertical L component flush to the camera. I've had to move it out almost as far as it will go and as you can see it still kinks my cord (which in turn really kinks my cord because that L bracket was expensive). I really don't want to invest in anything other than a cord since I shoot portrait orientation with a trigger very rarely. My question is how far can you safely extend the vertical L component before you risk instability? When I mount the camera and jostle it it feels stable. I assume the bracket is engineered to be stable with a fully extended L component but you know what they say about assuming things so I thought I should ask.

L bracket downsized.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back