Z8 with Z 105mm macro…how’s the AF with this combo?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Squatch

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi folks! I’m contemplating this combination for my personal photography challenge this year…insects in flight. I already have the Laowa 90mm f/2.8 2:1 macro lens, and it is absolutely stellar, but it’s a fully manual lens, and I’m thinking I will definitely need autofocus to capture flying insects. With firmware 2.0 on the Z8, it seems very attainable. Any insights, hints, tips/tricks? Thanks!

AF with the Z 105mm macro is very good. It is a great lens with a reproduction ratio of 1X when focused at 0.96 feet. But you are limited to 105mm range as this lens does not accept a teleconverter.
Another option for flying insects would be to use the Z 100-400mm lens for greater reach. It has a close focusing distance of 2.4 - 3 feet and will give a maximum reproduction ratio of 0.38X. And if you add a 1.4X TC the maximum reproduction ratio is 0.53X.

AF with the Z 105mm macro is very good. It is a great lens with a reproduction ratio of 1X when focused at 0.96 feet. But you are limited to 105mm range as this lens does not accept a teleconverter.
Another option for flying insects would be to use the Z 100-400mm lens for greater reach. It has a close focusing distance of 2.4 - 3 feet and will give a maximum reproduction ratio of 0.38X. And if you add a 1.4X TC the maximum reproduction ratio is 0.53X.
I have used the 100-400 to capture beautiful photos of bees, dragonflies, and other insects. I prefer it to the 105 macro because of the zoom flexibility. I’ll upload photos when I have access to my laptop later.

I have the Z 105 and have thought about selling it now that I've the Z 100-400. This might just reflect my shortcomings at macro.

Back