Z8 - Woes assigning Battery Grip controls

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SCoombs

My longtime Z8 setup has been to use back button focus with the AF-On button activating whatever focus mode I have selected at the time, the Fn1 button activating 3d tracking, and the DISP button activating the full-area AF. Originally I did this so that I could have AF-On for general use, the 3D tracking option available for a handoff, and the DISP button for "emergencies" when I see a critter out of the corner of my eye or a bird unexpectedly flying past or a kid suddenly doing something cute or in general some kind of fleeting opportunity that I don't think I have time to try to really line up with typical focus modes and so I could just hit DISP and hope the camera grabbed whatever it was in the split second before it was gone.

Since Z8 firmware 2.0, I've found myself doing things differently. I haven't changed my control setup, but I am generally finding myself using the DISP/full area AF as my primary option while I usually keep single point AF on as the selected focus mode and use the AF-On button in a case where the subject detection is for whatever reason not doing what I need it to and I just need to tell the camera to focus on a specific place. I might switch the focus mode to one of the wide-area modes if there are multiple subjects and I need to try to get the camera to hone in on a specific one. I rarely use 3D tracking now, but occasionally find a use for it.

For some time I've been wanting to get a grip for the Z8 because I have found it increasingly awkward to try to hold the camera steady to take portrait (vertical) oriented shots, especially as I have been using more shorter lenses. With a long telephoto it was easier to balance for some reason but now with a 500pf and also using a lot more "people" oriented lenses I've been harder. I finally got one this past week because I have been asked to photograph a graduation later this spring where I will need to take a lot of portrait/vertical shots. I find myself getting used to it fairly well except that I can't figure out a button layout I'm happy with.

The biggest issue is that there's really only one button to use when in the portrait orientation - the grip's AF-On. I won't be able to get anything equivalent to the Fn1 button in that orientation on a Z8, but that's fine. I just want to be able to have a button to use for the selected focus mode and one for full-area (or whatever other mode I might decide to put on it). Frankly the playback button would be a perfect analog for that DISP button, but alas it can't be assigned to trigger AF and even if it could I can't find a good alternative to activate playback. The only thing I've found that might work is using the joystick press as the second AF button, and this sort of works but with a kind of a deal-breaker: I've been using the main joystick for a year now as my FX/DX switch and in spite of a year's worth of practice with this I cannot reliably press it without moving the focus point around at least a third of the time. This has the double disadvantage of first causing me to sometimes need to (briefly) fumble hitting it a few times to get it to activate rather than to just move the focus point - obviously an issue if it's going to cause missed shots when used as a focus button - and of moving the focus point around, meaning I have to reposition it the next time I need to use it (a minor inconvenience if I want it centered but an inconvenience nonetheless, and more significant if I needed it in a specific place).

I've briefly tried going back to using the shutter button to activate AF and letting the AF-On serve as a sort of override to activate the full area, something I've read some people have done since 2.0. Unfortunately, I still think that being able to focus and recompose is a technique that is important to have in one's arsenal and setting things up this way seems, unless I'm missing something, to totally eliminate this possibility.

In any case, I know it's a long shot but I am hoping someone else might have some idea I've not thought of that might help here.

Can't you reach the fn buttons on the front when holding the Z8 in portrait mode? That's what I've always done - with or without battery grip.

Can't you reach the fn buttons on the front when holding the Z8 in portrait mode? That's what I've always done - with or without battery grip.
Without the grip yes, since it's not any different really from holding it in landscape mode except that your wrist is cocked at a funny angle. With the grip, if we're talking about reaching the Fn buttons while holding the grip, I can't and it's not even close. My hands are not the biggest out there, but I certainly don't think they're especially small. I'm a fairly accomplished pianist for instance. I suppose I could clarify: I can, while holding the grip, use my middle finger to reach over and press the Fn buttons, but I definitely can't come close to reaching them in a way that allows me to still press the shutter with my index finger. I just messed around a bit and it's physically impossible for me to press either Fn button while also pressing the shutter on the grip. If I force my finger to stay on the shutter, the furthest I can stretch a finger is to reach just past the point where the grip meets the body but not far enough to touch the lower button.

I recently sold my Z9 and one of the reasons was that I couldn't effectively reach the fn2 and fn3 buttons. The grip was just too deep for me. But with the Z8 ungripped I can easily reach the fn buttons on the front, AF-On and shutter all at once. Are you rotating the camera counter clockwise for portrait mode?

I recently sold my Z9 and one of the reasons was that I couldn't effectively reach the fn2 and fn3 buttons. The grip was just too deep for me. But with the Z8 ungripped I can easily reach the fn buttons on the front, AF-On and shutter all at once. Are you rotating the camera counter clockwise for portrait mode?
I can reach it all ungripped, but I find it awkward to try to hold the camera in portrait mode steady and over the past few months I've found myself just avoiding shooting in portrait mode as a result, which has led me to take a lot of shots that would have been better if I'd have turned the camera. With the grip, I can hold it much more steadily in portrait mode, but then the only buttons I can reach are the grip's buttons and the play and zoom out buttons.

Here's what it looks like when I just rotate without the grip (the grip is on in this photo, but I can of course hold it this way without the grip, too).
20240420_150045.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I can do this, but when trying to hold the camera up to take a shot I find that sometimes I have a harder time keeping it level, it takes more effort to keep things in the frame the way I want to, etc.

Here is what it looks like with the grip. I can hold it much more easily, just as if I were in landscape mode, and I can line things up nicely without a lot of effort or as much wobbling.
20240420_150030.jpg

But, here's what the front looks like in that case, as you can see I can reach over to press the Fn buttons but only by removing my finger from the shutter. Here I am stretching as far as I really can without my index finger moving off the shutter. In the photo it looks like there's a little more room to move than there is because once I move that middle finger any further, the my index finger would have to start twisting at its base in a way that it can't twist. Thus, I could use those buttons to trigger something, but not to activate AF and then also press the shutter.
20240420_150120.jpg

Back