Z8/Z9 IBIS with VR turned off

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wade Abadie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am finally planning to make the switch to mirrorless! I plan to buy a Z8, and for now will primarily use it adapted with my Nikon 500 F/4 G for wildlife.

I have read some great things about how well the Z9 IBIS works by “enhancing” the VR of certain lenses. My question is….will the Z8 IBIS still work if I keep VR turned off on my 500 G lens? The reason I ask is two fold:

1) One of the main reasons I’m attracted to mirrorless is the ability to shoot in total silence (particularly for skittish animals like deer). My 500 G has a significant humming sound when it’s turned on, so eliminating that would be a huge benefit to me.

2) Keeping VR off would presumably save battery life.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
VR is either all on (IBIS + Lens) or all off, you can't control them separately. In addition IBIS works well for shorter lenses, but when you get into the longer glass isn't not nearly as effective as in-lens VR. So, even if you could run each independently, IBIS alone with a 500mm lens would only help a little.

Short answer is “no” - IBIS can not be selected w/o the 500 G lens having VR on. See the Z9 manual section on still (photo) VR. Also, for f-mount lenses with VR and VR enabled - VR runs while the camera is turned on.

If you're using an F mount lens with a VR ring, then the IBIS/VR is only activated when the ring is switched on.
It also never, ever shuts off until the camera does.
It's not the same as a DSLR where it will pulse on/off as you press the shutter, and when you release it will turn off after 4-5 seconds.

People don't like to talk about the mirrorless bodies burning up VR motors in expensive lenses, but if you're out shooting for a long period and the VR motor is running for 60 minutes straight, instead of 6 minutes on/off...

IBIS works on any lens without VR built into it. It also runs constantly in the camera. I leave mine off unless the light is bad, or I need it to steady a shot.

To answer your original question: No, you can't run IBIS on your 500mm f/4G independently of the VR inside the lens. The lens ring controls whether VR/IBIS are turned on, or off, together.

People don't like to talk about the mirrorless bodies burning up VR motors in expensive lenses, but if you're out shooting for a long period and the VR motor is running for 60 minutes straight, instead of 6 minutes on/off...

I actually did in a video earlier this year :)

VR uses VCM (Voice Coil Motors) - the same motors used to drive speakers. None of us give a second thought to wearing out our speakers by keeping them on on the car all the time, and the same applies here. VR can run a long, long time without an issue.

Thanks for the quick and thorough replies! I assumed that might be the case. I am still getting the Z8. The VR “humming” sound may occasionally alert an animal….but it’s nothing compared to the noise created by a 5-10 shot burst of a DSLR. I think eliminating that mirror slap is going to solve 95% of my noise issues.

Thanks for the quick and thorough replies! I assumed that might be the case. I am still getting the Z8. The VR “humming” sound may occasionally alert an animal….but it’s nothing compared to the noise created by a 5-10 shot burst of a DSLR. I think eliminating that mirror slap is going to solve 95% of my noise issues.
It's weird now - when I hear a DSLR firing away, it really sounds much louder than I remember :)

If the humming noise of the VR is already too loud, then there is one thing you have to keep in mind when you want to purchase a Z8/9:
Shooting is silent. However, the camera is not completely silent. You can hear some noise when the camera is switched on or off, or going to standby or waking up.
One of the sounds is from the IBIS locking mechanism, the other one I have no idea where it comes from. There is also the sensor shield, but the latter is the quietest of them, and it can be deactivated.
Those sounds can only be avoided when the camera is permanently on, which, of course is not the best way to save battery.
The noise from the VR locking (which is the loudest of the three) can be avoided by switching VR off, indeed.

However, those sounds are much quieter than a slapping mirror.

If the humming noise of the VR is already too loud, then there is one thing you have to keep in mind when you want to purchase a Z8/9:
(snipped)
However, those sounds are much quieter than a slapping mirror.
In lens VR noise is very lens dependent.

I consider it quite loud on lenses like the 300 f2.8 first version VR, much less so on the 180-400, relatively benign on lenses like the 400 f4.5, 100-400 and 800 PF, and near silent on the 105 macro S or the last F mount 24-120.
With the S lenses I have used that have in lens VR the sound is much, much quieter than the sound of the Z9 shutter on the low settings.

You can switch IBIS/shutter noise off on a Z8/9 - and maybe even stop breathing!

The days of the high pitched whine of the OM winder for several OM bodies has long since gone.

Hi all! So, if I understand correctly:
1 - with F mount lenses VR and IBIS as either both on or off.
2 - If I set in on in camera but switch it off on the f mount lens everything is deactivated

I am wondering about the battery consumption since VR seems to be always on. How much does it affect the overall autonomy? (I am considering buying a z8 but have lenses that I love like the 300 pf and 105 micro, both VR).
Cheers from Germany

In my experience this is a non-issue with mirrorless bodies.

No animal I have ever stalked worried about the sound of my cameras when shooting with an electronic shutter -- we humans make more noise just breathing than the VR/IBIS in a modern camera.

Prey animals' hearing is tuned to listen out for threat noises from animals stalking and hunting them - not mechanical noises . OK loud engines starting up may spook; but stealthy movements by someone in a poorly constructed gilly suit are far more likely to cause issues... AND just how close are you trying to get to Deer -- high frequency noise tends to attenuate far more rapidly than sharp sounds (like a twig breaking) or lower frequency

Has the noise from your "500G" ever caused you to lose a shot? -- If so then when was the last time you had the lens services, cleaned and lubricated? All lenses need a bit of TLC and AF-S G lenses are infamous for needing periodic services -- new noise from them is often a sign that the are dry and there are potential issues that need fixing. I know this because I had to have AF motors replaced in my AF-S 300/2.8G.

Last edited:
Hi all! So, if I understand correctly:
1 - with F mount lenses VR and IBIS as either both on or off.
2 - If I set in on in camera but switch it off on the f mount lens everything is deactivated

I am wondering about the battery consumption since VR seems to be always on. How much does it affect the overall autonomy? (I am considering buying a z8 but have lenses that I love like the 300 pf and 105 micro, both VR).
Cheers from Germany
Yes, as a side note, if the lens has a VR switch, you won't have the option to turn it on or off in camera anyway.

Yes, I did I video on VR battery consumption and it cases about a 5% decrease on average. No biggie.

In my experience this is a non-issue with mirrorless bodies.

No animal I have ever stalked worried about the sound of my cameras when shooting with an electronic shutter -- we humans make more noise just breathing than the VR/IBIS in a modern camera.

Prey animals' hearing is tuned to listen out for threat noises from animals stalking and hunting them - not mechanical noises . OK loud engines starting up may spook; but stealthy movements by someone in a poorly constructed gilly suit are far more likely to cause issues... AND just how close are you trying to get to Deer -- high frequency noise tends to attenuate far more rapidly than sharp sounds (like a twig breaking) or lower frequency

Has the noise from your "500G" ever caused you to lose a shot? -- If so then when was the last time you had the lens services, cleaned and lubricated? All lenses need a bit of TLC and AF-S G lenses are infamous for needing periodic services -- new noise from them is often a sign that the are dry and there are potential issues that need fixing. I know this because I had to have AF motors replaced in my AF-S 300/2.8G.
Hi all, I made the jump to a Z8 and the IBIS in my copy is significantly louder than a breathing human. I can hear it from 2m away in a moderately quiet room (in the city). It is pretty obvious if I use the EVF. Sounds like a fan with a little bit of coil whine added to it. Your comment made me question whether that behaviour is still considered normal.....

Hi all, I made the jump to a Z8 and the IBIS in my copy is significantly louder than a breathing human. I can hear it from 2m away in a moderately quiet room (in the city). It is pretty obvious if I use the EVF. Sounds like a fan with a little bit of coil whine added to it. Your comment made me question whether that behaviour is still considered normal.....
It's with all Z8's. The IBIS sound is especially annoying while pressing the menu and playback buttons.

Are you using it with a non-VR lens? If not, lens-VR can be more or less noisy, depending on the type of lens.

Are you using it with a non-VR lens? If not, lens-VR can be more or less noisy, depending on the type of lens.
Thank you all for the replies. I am using it with the 50mm 1.8 (non VR) while I wait for the 180-600. I came up with a better description of the noise: it sounds a little like a running hard drive.

I am using it with the 50mm 1.8 (non VR) while I wait for the 180-600. I came up with a better description of the noise: it sounds a little like a running hard drive.
With the 50mm f1.8 you most likely to be hearing the noise is the IBIS system that you can turn off via the "I" button.
I cannot currently hear the sound as I I am awaiting delivery of a new hearing aids.

Back