Z9 AF technique question for EIF (Eagles In Flight)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is only my 2nd day shooting this type of action with the Z9, I previously had a D500. I am shooting auto-area AF, subject detection on. 500 pf, F5.6, 1/5000 sec, ISO 500. The picture (Screen shots from NX Studio) tells the story - I seem to be ok for about 75% of my burst, but the focus point will drift to the water, I believe, and the eagle goes out of focus. Same when I acquire focus while the eagle is against the blue sky, then it dives and the background is trees - I lose focus. Am I relying too much on auto-area? I considered the wide area modes, but thought perhaps I would lose the eagle as it turns rapidly to zero in on the fish. Also thought perhaps starting with auto-area, then switching to 3D would make sense, but had somewhat similar results with that. Perhaps the answer is just more practice, but would love some thoughts from those with more experience shooting the Z9 in similar situations if that is possible. Thanks!
AF.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I photographed eagles in Homer, Alaska last Feb-March. From a boat. Using the Z9 and mostly the Z 100-400mm. Mostly used Wide-Area AF Large with Animal Detection on. The great majority of my images were tack sharp, regardless of the background - against sky, against water, against mountains. Even shots of backlit eagles against a very dark mountain. The Wide Area large box doesn't even have to be over the bird's eye, just over some part of the bird. Here are some examples (I've exported them at relatively low resolution for this post - at full resolution they are very sharp).

Z9B_2467-Edit.jpg

Z9B_6606-Edit.jpg
Z9B_0822.jpg

This is only my 2nd day shooting this type of action with the Z9, I previously had a D500. I am shooting auto-area AF, subject detection on. 500 pf, F5.6, 1/5000 sec, ISO 500. The picture (Screen shots from NX Studio) tells the story - I seem to be ok for about 75% of my burst, but the focus point will drift to the water, I believe, and the eagle goes out of focus. Same when I acquire focus while the eagle is against the blue sky, then it dives and the background is trees - I lose focus. Am I relying too much on auto-area? I considered the wide area modes, but thought perhaps I would lose the eagle as it turns rapidly to zero in on the fish. Also thought perhaps starting with auto-area, then switching to 3D would make sense, but had somewhat similar results with that. Perhaps the answer is just more practice, but would love some thoughts from those with more experience shooting the Z9 in similar situations if that is possible. Thanks!
As Iain showed -- the Z9 works BEST when Subject Detection Animals is selected AND left on, while using Area and 3D AF options.
T
he Z9 is NOT a DSLR and while some of the terms are the same how the camera works is different.
Please look in the Thread of the v3.0 firmware update -- specifically the latest entries - mine, Lance B and fcotterill amongst others. Like all of us converts from DSLRs to Z bodies and then the Z9 - there are some similarities but the AF is vastly different.
As noted in my posts and in my blog -- you would are very strongly advised to gain access to Steve Perry's Guide to the Z9 and Thom Hogan's extremely deep reference guide for the z9 as well. Learn how the various AF modes work on the Z9 and what we shooters "should do" to ensure we can succeed. Hudson Henry's channel on youtube has also proven to be a great and calm source of info on how to set up your Z9 and use it in practice.

As Iain showed -- the Z9 works BEST when Subject Detection Animals is selected AND left on, while using Area and 3D AF options.
T
he Z9 is NOT a DSLR and while some of the terms are the same how the camera works is different.
Please look in the Thread of the v3.0 firmware update -- specifically the latest entries - mine, Lance B and fcotterill amongst others. Like all of us converts from DSLRs to Z bodies and then the Z9 - there are some similarities but the AF is vastly different.
As noted in my posts and in my blog -- you would are very strongly advised to gain access to Steve Perry's Guide to the Z9 and Thom Hogan's extremely deep reference guide for the z9 as well. Learn how the various AF modes work on the Z9 and what we shooters "should do" to ensure we can succeed. Hudson Henry's channel on youtube has also proven to be a great and calm source of info on how to set up your Z9 and use it in practice.
Thanks for that input. I've re-read the thread you link to and the latest inputs of yours and others. I have Steve's excellent guide, have watched the Westminster video with Ricci, and also now read your blog post. Also Hudson Henry's latest thoughts on 3.0. Based on all that and other feedback on this thread, I plan to make some adjustments and get back out there and work on technique. I've attached another 'diagnostic' of my series of photos (2 closeups are the only oof frames) - Auto-area AF seemed to drift a lot as I got into the trees, and so I think I will start with one of the other suggested modes, wide area probably. From my current understanding, if I read the sequence properly, though animal subject detection was enabled it never occurred, or maybe only sporadically (?) perhaps due to the distance, or lack of time to lock on...? Again, thanks for your comments!
AF2.jpg

You need to acquire a solid focus first......then tracking can function. Steve emphasizes many times that one should get the subject as large in the frame as possible to "help" acquire focus. Even shifting to DX mode to acquire focus can help.

The 100-400 is pretty short for these type of images. Maybe consider a 1.4 tele or a longer focal length lens to make it easier on the camera - and yourself to acquire focus.

Don't even concern yourself with where the red overlay shows up. It is meaningless. Half the time you'll have the overlay off subject yet focus is dead on. Other times you will have OOF shot with the overlay right on the head. All that matters is the actual in focus rate.

I had read that with later Z9 FW that Auto-AF is much improved. When I owned the Z9 back on 1.1 or 1.2FW Auto was useless and was always jumping to distracting backgrounds. I used Auto 75% of the time on D500/850 for BIF. On Z9 I only used Wide Area modes. I'd like to try Z9 again on latest FW to see how much better it is.

I've found that starting with a wide area mode, as others have said, and then, after acquiring focus, switching to 3D works well. I have not used the auto, auto focus as I don't trust it, although I understand Sony's version works very well. I put 3D on a button, the AF button on the back, since my finger is trained with BBAF anyway, and I now use the shutter to shoot, animal detection on. Reading the manual that Nikon puts out on photographing sports might be a good idea, they offer several options for shooting action.

If you don't have Steve Perry's Z9 Set Up Guide, I strongly encourage you to get it. He covers each focus mode in detail - and how to set up your camera.

He will be coming out with an update for the version 3 firmware update. The eBook update will be free.

Back