Z9 and Otus Experience?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Has anyone here used their Z9 with any of the Zeiss Otus 1.4 lenses? Thoughts? Thanks!

I don't have a 1.4 Otus, but I do have the Zeiss 135 mm f/2 apo lens which has Otus like performance and it works very well with the Z9. All you have to do is attach it to the camera with the FTZii adapter and enter the data for a non-cpu lens in the setup menu. Metering and aperture setting work normally and focus peaking allows easy and precise focusing. IBIS is a welcome feature. The lens shows up in LR and PS as 135 mm f/2 but Zeiss is not included in the metadata. Shooting aperture and shutter speed are recorded normally.

Bill

I don't have a 1.4 Otus, but I do have the Zeiss 135 mm f/2 apo lens which has Otus like performance and it works very well with the Z9. All you have to do is attach it to the camera with the FTZii adapter and enter the data for a non-cpu lens in the setup menu. Metering and aperture setting work normally and focus peaking allows easy and precise focusing. IBIS is a welcome feature. The lens shows up in LR and PS as 135 mm f/2 but Zeiss is not included in the metadata. Shooting aperture and shutter speed are recorded normally.

Bill

Thanks Bill. How are the images relative to your native glass?

Bill
Curious - what do you need to specify for an non-cpu lens? I have a sigma 150 macro and that works well on Z 7 ii.

Thanks Bill. How are the images relative to your native glass?

The image quality (measured as MTF 50) is comparable between the Zeiss and the 105 f/2.8 S. I did a brief comparison using MTF at f/5.6, which previous studies have shown is the best compromise between diffraction and lens aberrations for D850 resolution sized sensors.

I used manual focus and took 3 images with both lenses and used the best of the 3.
ImatestResultsBest.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Here is a representative Imatest result:

_DSC0352_YTR 4_01_sfr copy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The Zeiss is very sharp and the results with the f/2.8 105 mm S line indicate that this is also a very sharp lens.
Bill

Last edited:
Back