Z9 Auto Capture stopped working

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I installed Version 4.00 the day it was available and have been using Auto Capture every day. It has worked fine until this afternoon. After recording over 300 images this morning I formatted the card and put the camera back in position. After two hours of birds being in the focused area I decide to check the images to make sure all was well. There were no images on either card. So I did a test by waving my hand in the focused area and checked the cards again; no images. I then did another test taking a photo normally and the images were on the card in slot 1. I have been using the exact same settings since day one. Nothing has been changed. Anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know if the upgrade can be uninstalled and then reinstalled?

Hard to say what's going on but before I'd try rolling back and reinstalling the current firmware I'd try saving all my custom settings to a memory card, performing a full camera reset from the menus and reloading my saved settings to see if that sorts things out.

Even though nothing should have changed I'd also check all the Auto Capture settings to see if any of the trigger criteria was made more aggressive. I switched from Detect only to Detect plus Motion this afternoon and at first thought auto capture had stopped working but then realized it worked fine but with more stringent trigger criteria that didn't fire every time a subject was detected. Not saying your issue is the same, but I'd double check all the trigger criteria and if nothing turns up there try a camera reset before a firmware rollback.

Hard to say what's going on but before I'd try rolling back and reinstalling the current firmware I'd try saving all my custom settings to a memory card, performing a full camera reset from the menus and reloading my saved settings to see if that sorts things out.

Even though nothing should have changed I'd also check all the Auto Capture settings to see if any of the trigger criteria was made more aggressive. I switched from Detect only to Detect plus Motion this afternoon and at first thought auto capture had stopped working but then realized it worked fine but with more stringent trigger criteria that didn't fire every time a subject was detected. Not saying your issue is the same, but I'd double check all the trigger criteria and if nothing turns up there try a camera reset before a firmware rollback.
I doubled checked all the settings for Auto Capture and actually reset them. I have all the camera settings on separate memory card so will try a camera reset. Did not think about that, thanks.

JP, will be interested in what you find. I’m having the exact same issue.
Pat, I saved the menu settings to an extra memory card, ejected it and reset all settings. Then reloaded the menu settings. Ran several tests changing the parameters of Auto Capture and it is still not working. I sent a message to Nikon yesterday but have not heard back. Will update.

What is the procedure for updating the firmware after the camera’s firmware has already been updated to 4.0?
I downloaded it again and upgraded as if I was going from 3 to 4. When I checked the version before the upgrade it was 4.0. When I started the upgrade it took about 5 or 6 minutes. So it appears it just installs a new upgrade over the previous version.

I was leery also, but thought it was a better choice. Without reinstalling, Auto Capture did not work. I copied the menu settings to a spare card and when reinstalled all was as they had been previously set.

Installing the FW on top of the same FW, wow. I never thought the camera would allow it.
What do you make of it? Why not downgrade and upgrade again?
This is the first time I’m hearing such a phenomenon.
On a PC it will usually uninstall before reinstalling the same software.

Is there a chance my issue with V4 AF 3D going crazy could be solved by installing the v4 FW twice? Or maybe install it 5 times to be sure?!

This is WEIRD.

After I sent my findings with V4, I contacted NPS, their advice was to rollback to V3.10, And they will send my findings to Nikon Japan.

Installing the FW on top of the same FW, wow. I never thought the camera would allow it.

Is there a chance my issue with V4 AF 3D going crazy could be solved by installing the v4 FW twice? Or maybe install it 5 times to be sure?!

This is WEIRD.

After I sent my findings with V4, I contacted NPS, their advice was to rollback to V3.10, And they will send my findings to Nikon Japan.
I thought about rolling back to a previous version but the person at Nikon support said that was not necessary. I think what happens is that when reinstalling 4 it overwrites the previous version not matter which one it is.

Here is a quote from Paul M. at Nikon Support. "

Once you have completed the firmware update, you can delete the firmware update files using the Delete firmware update files option in the Firmware version section of the Setup Menu, or you can format the card as well.

Deleting the firmware update on your card or formatting the card will not downgrade the firmware on your camera."

As an aside, did anyone else notice their shutter sound changed when they updated to 4.0? I know they added sounds, but I was surprised to see it changed on my Z9. NBD - was just curious if others heard that.

Maybe I'm old fashioned by why do you need auto capture? More than half the fun is watching thru the finder eye port.
I have a man-made waterfall and small pond out side my office window. I set up the camera to make photos while I work on other projects. In the past I have used electric beams to trigger the camera for remote work; this method means few items to position. I too like spending time in a blind to make photos but there is often a lot of down time waiting for a subject.

This is WEIRD.

Joel, I cannot get auto capture to activate the shutter. I don’t feel comfortable re-installing 4.0 on top of 4.0. What is the procedure for downgrading the firmware back to 3.10, Thanks!

Joel, I cannot get auto capture to activate the shutter. I don’t feel comfortable re-installing 4.0 on top of 4.0. What is the procedure for downgrading the firmware back to 3.10, Thanks!
Simple, Put V3.10 on the card and install it. If you don’t have it, I can link it we transfer.
Note: the camera will need a factory reset after its done installing 3.10

Back