Z9 Auto Capture stopped working

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It was set to stills.
Is it set for stills now that is Capture working? You can easily test to see if that was part of your problem. The question to be answered "Will the record button function as the start/stop for Capture when it is already set to perform a Custom function?"

Had a fairly long conversation with Nikon support this morning regarding auto capture not working correctly. After going through various settings, the tech suggested a reset. So, I saved all my settings to my card and performed the reset. Then I reloaded the saved settings. Auto Capture now seems to be working correctly.

Last edited:
Here is a quote from Paul M. at Nikon Support. "

Once you have completed the firmware update, you can delete the firmware update files using the Delete firmware update files option in the Firmware version section of the Setup Menu, or you can format the card as well.

Deleting the firmware update on your card or formatting the card will not downgrade the firmware on your camera."
I appreciate you posting this. After over 2000 shots over 3 days of auto capture pics of bluebirds feeding young and fledging at a bluebird house i have close to my patio, Auto capture stopped working when I move the camera to a house were tree swallows were nesting. All settings were exactly the same. As I still had the V4 bin file on a card, I tried to update again but the camera would not allow me so I re-downloaded 4.0 from the Nikon site and but that bin file on the same card and was able to reload V4.0 just A test yesterday between rain showers showed everything was fine again. What I found interesting was the re-downloaded file had the same date and looked identical but the re-update to V4.0 worked fine. Somehow the camera was able to discern the difference.

Back