Z9 autofocus button assignment- opinions?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have my Z9 currently set to use Wide Area Large (without needing any other button pressed to select it). I use the shutter release button to initiate AF. I have the AF-On button programed to select 3D only, so the AF On button does not also start AF.

Just tried this set up inside the house (it is 0 degrees F outside). I focused on an object using Wide Area Large and the shutter release button pressed halfway. Leaving the shutter button pressed halfway, I also pressed the AF On button. The camera switched to 3D without my needing to take my finger off the shutter release button. The focus area indicator in the EVF showed 3D and also there was a 3D box that followed my subject if I moved the camera around a bit. So think it was in 3D. Will have to try it outside later today.

Do you have your AF On button configured to switch the AF to 3D or to both switch the AF to 3D and initiate AF?
my AFon button to AFarea+AFON set to 3D tracking; tracking mode- animal; shutter release to wide area AF large; focus point persistence- auto; focus lock to 3 subject erratic; fn1 to Afarea +AF on (single point) for precise focus and fn3 same as fn1 to help in portrait orientation.

for a quickly moving subject, go from half press of a shutter to AFon while holding the shutter button halfway - the focus point transfers nicely.
if there not too much movement in the subject you can let go of the shutter release and engage the AF on for 3d tracking.
it just depends on whether the camera will lose focus if you let go of the wide area focus button while a subject moves quickly while handing over the focus point.

try this on a static subject and move the object in the frame by moving the camera.

OMG, Steve, no pressure but please quick with your AF update for the Z9. :D Had my Z9 out yesterday and it may take electric shock collar training to extinguish my BBF habit. The whole day felt like I'd mistakenly grabbed my toaster for the shoot LOL
I have to agree with this! The Z 9 is the first camera I have ever owned (since the Nikon F tn in the 60's) which required reading and re-reading the full manual - all 900+ pages of it. BTW, Steve H you bring much needed comedy to what I tend to take too seriously. Thank you.

My smartypants comments aside, I've been holding the camera to my ear (indoors) since your comment and unless AF is engaged (when I hear the lens motors) I'm not hearing anything. Hope your cam is not 'broken'!!
Doubt is broken, went back to test stuff, looks like it has something to do with the VR, I’m using a F lens, if I turned the VR off on the lens the spinning stops. When I install a No VR lens the spinning noise is less… I’m now wondering if all of this is Normal operation 🤷‍♂️

Doubt is broken, went back to test stuff, looks like it has something to do with the VR, I’m using a F lens, if I turned the VR off on the lens the spinning stops. When I install a No

Pretty normal (tho not loud!) in my experience; focussing and VR motors in the lens.

Last edited:
Doubt is broken, went back to test stuff, looks like it has something to do with the VR, I’m using a F lens, if I turned the VR off on the lens the spinning stops. When I install a No VR lens the spinning noise is less… I’m now wondering if all of this is Normal operation 🤷‍♂️
its the VR. happens to my 500pf too. when it makes that noise, place the cam and lens on a table and the noise stops as the vr is not engaged. i think its normal operation. my lens vr is in sport mode.

my AFon button to AFarea+AFON set to 3D tracking; tracking mode- animal; shutter release to wide area AF large; focus point persistence- auto; focus lock to 3 subject erratic; fn1 to Afarea +AF on (single point) for precise focus and fn3 same as fn1 to help in portrait orientation.

for a quickly moving subject, go from half press of a shutter to AFon while holding the shutter button halfway - the focus point transfers nicely.
if there not too much movement in the subject you can let go of the shutter release and engage the AF on for 3d tracking.
it just depends on whether the camera will lose focus if you let go of the wide area focus button while a subject moves quickly while handing over the focus point.

try this on a static subject and move the object in the frame by moving the camera.
Just tried my Z9 outside for this. It warmed up to 5 degrees F. Found a few cooperative squirrels, cardinals and downy woodpeckers in the neighborhood.

I wanted to confirm that I did not have to let up on the shutter button to go from Wide Area Large to 3D by pressing the AF On button (which I programmed to AF Area = 3D). And with my settings, noted above (I also have focus point persistence set to auto), you don’t have to let up on the shutter button. The Z9 went from Wide Area Large to 3D with no issues, as I continued to hold the shutter button pressed halfway.

I have the buttons I customized to change AF area modes all set up to only change AF area modes. I have not used assigned AF Area + AF On to them. Any thoughts about which is best? I see Steve seems to be using just AF Area and not AF Area + AF On for his buttons.

Just tried my Z9 outside for this. It warmed up to 5 degrees F. Found a few cooperative squirrels, cardinals and downy woodpeckers in the neighborhood.

I wanted to confirm that I did not have to let up on the shutter button to go from Wide Area Large to 3D by pressing the AF On button (which I programmed to AF Area = 3D). And with my settings, noted above (I also have focus point persistence set to auto), you don’t have to let up on the shutter button. The Z9 went from Wide Area Large to 3D with no issues, as I continued to hold the shutter button pressed halfway.

I have the buttons I customized to change AF area modes all set up to only change AF area modes. I have not used assigned AF Area + AF On to them. Any thoughts about which is best? I see Steve seems to be using just AF Area and not AF Area + AF On for his buttons.
agree! you dont have to let go of the shutter af to engage 3d tracking with AFOn and thats ideal for all subjects especially for fast moving subjects like BIF. But if even u did accidentally let go of the shutter button, for static or slow moving subjects, it wouldnt matter and 3d tracking picks up well. I have them for AF area +Af on - so when i press the fn1 or AFON button that not only changes focus area but activated AF. just the convenience of a single button to change area mode and engage AF simultaneously, In case i forget to press another button to engage autofocus. The focus point hand overs between modes are so smooth, I am not having an issue with this mode, as yet.

The issue was not having the shutter button half press and then change to another AF mode, the issue is that if you are shooting (shutter button all the way down) you can't switch to another AF mode, you need to stop shooting and then engage the other mode....If you are just acquiring focus and then tracking until you engage the new mode and then start shooting there are no issues. The issues will be if you start shooting on lets say wide area and want to change to 3D while shooting.

Thank you all for sharing your ideas. They are very helpful.
So far Wide Area (S) on shutter and Auto 3D on AF-On works best for me, I am trying various combination of setting the rest of function buttons, but I am not decided yet.

I hosted a roundtable on the Z9 this past weekend. One of the good ideas that came up was designating Fn3 for your most important button. That is the button that is in position for both horizontal and vertical compositions. AF-On and Shutter release also can be used for both compositions as there is a second similar button. The most important buttons for most who took this approach were 3D Tracking or moving frame rate to 20 fps from a slower speed when needed.

Another great option is to use the lens buttons that can be programmed for AF and focus mode. I think every one agrees that basically you want a small AF mode for initial focus acquisition and then switch to either 3D or auto area, how you want to do will depend on your shooting style. Plenty of options there.

The issue was not having the shutter button half press and then change to another AF mode, the issue is that if you are shooting (shutter button all the way down) you can't switch to another AF mode, you need to stop shooting and then engage the other mode....If you are just acquiring focus and then tracking until you engage the new mode and then start shooting there are no issues. The issues will be if you start shooting on lets say wide area and want to change to 3D while shooting.

You are correct...I double checked and if you are actively firing the shutter then it won't switch over to the other AF mode. It will switch while actively auto focusing but not actively shooting. I don't think any of my past cameras from Canon and Sony could switch while shooting either.

Another great option is to use the lens buttons that can be programmed for AF and focus mode. I think every one agrees that basically you want a small AF mode for initial focus acquisition and then switch to either 3D or auto area, how you want to do will depend on your shooting style. Plenty of options there.

I continue to go back and forth between Auto and 3D on my AF-ON button as the mode I switch over to from Wide-Area L on my shutter button. I think I'm back to preferring Auto over 3D for this. Although as a mode for starting out of (not involving Wide-Area first), I think 3D is a little more predictable but also takes more skill to get that tiny square near your subject (if in flight and fast). I currently have 3D on my lens button for when I want it on its own but am using the Wide-Area L to Auto for most of my BIF now.

I hosted a roundtable on the Z9 this past weekend. One of the good ideas that came up was designating Fn3 for your most important button. That is the button that is in position for both horizontal and vertical compositions. AF-On and Shutter release also can be used for both compositions as there is a second similar button. The most important buttons for most who took this approach were 3D Tracking or moving frame rate to 20 fps from a slower speed when needed.
i looked and perhaps I really missed it, but how do I assign frame rate selection to FN3?

i looked and perhaps I really missed it, but how do I assign frame rate selection to FN3?
I can't find it either in the reference guide nor looking through the f2: custom control options.
Maybe Eric is using the "SHOOT" option and jumping into a different Shooting bank that has a different FPS saved? That would probably work if FPS is saved in the Shooting bank? Haven't checked and don't have access to my camera right now to check.

Program a ‘recall shooting function’ to the button. Set the frame rate as desired.

Marty
Thanks. It works. However I put recall shooting functions on the AF-ON button with area AF, animal eye tracking, as well as 20 FPS. I figure if I am going to track something I will want 20 FPS. Now to do this for each bank (argh - I wish i could say apply the setting to all banks)

One of the good ideas that came up was designating Fn3 for your most important button. That is the button that is in position for both horizontal and vertical compositions.
Firmware wishlist update: Separate custom control assignment for Fn3 when in portrait mode (do it for Fn1 and Fn2 too). That way you can assign the same function to the same positional button (i.e. Fn1 in landscape == Fn3 in portrait). Thanks Eric!

...Dave...

OMG, Steve, no pressure but please quick with your AF update for the Z9. :D Had my Z9 out yesterday and it may take electric shock collar training to extinguish my BBF habit. The whole day felt like I'd mistakenly grabbed my toaster for the shoot LOL
I am planning on using both BBAF and shutter button to focus. BBAF will drop in 20 fps, Auto-Area. At least that is what I am planning to test on my next shoot.

I am planning on using both BBAF and shutter button to focus. BBAF will drop in 20 fps, Auto-Area. At least that is what I am planning to test on my next shoot.
I am liking, tho haven't used much in real trials yet, using AFON as button to go to 3D; just that I'm forgetting completely to hit the shutter button half way to grab focus LOL Definitely going to have to finally figure out menu bank use as for static beasts (including humans) I'll likely just go to BBF and non auto/3d AF choices. Bigger muscle memory annoyance for me is the change of position for the playback button LOL

I am liking, tho haven't used much in real trials yet, using AFON as button to go to 3D; just that I'm forgetting completely to hit the shutter button half way to grab focus LOL Definitely going to have to finally figure out menu bank use as for static beasts (including humans) I'll likely just go to BBF and non auto/3d AF choices. Bigger muscle memory annoyance for me is the change of position for the playback button LOL
3D vs Auto area. Have you tested both? I found 3D bounced around a lot. Not sure if it was really moving the focus point or just the box in the view finder. Auto area seems to be more stable not sure if it did a better job tracking.

And like you, retraining my fingers will be challenging, esp. since I have still have a Z7 II and I occasionally use my wife's Z 6 II

I programmed the key button to be one of the playback buttons, that way is in the same place as my D850, the other one I programmed to be playback was Fn1 in case I want to check my last picture taken on the viewfinder in the middle of a shoot.

I programmed the key button to be one of the playback buttons, that way is in the same place as my D850, the other one I programmed to be playback was Fn1 in case I want to check my last picture taken on the viewfinder in the middle of a shoot.
Oh I was going to check if I could change that fn4 to the playback -- but it seemed like a defeat in trying to shift my muscle memory LOL I've currently got F4 set to metering as I like to jump to spot from matrix with back lit subjects. tho having that in the i menu is likely good enough... Fn1 will stay for me as single point AF, I think....

Can I have more than 1 recall shooting behaviour saved on different buttons?
No, just the one set is allowed. I'm not sure but I think you can use the Shooting Banks and have a different set on each bank. But then you have to switch banks just to get to that alternate recall shooting set.

Back