Z9 availability in the UK

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

agrumpybirdphotographer

Marketplace
This post is aimed at UK members and if they have had or are having long waits for a Z9.

I ordered mine from my usual (major retailer) back in in early December and still have absolutely no clue as to when or indeed if I will have my order fulfilled this year.

I’ve been keeping in touch with the retailer every two or three months with the last chat the other day, I came away with the feeling I’m not going to get anything soon.

The only info the chap I spoke to could tell me was that Nikon UK were getting very small numbers of Z9’s and so retailers weren’t getting nearly enough to satisfy their back orders, he could give no estimates as to when of if the situation is going to improve.

I’ve asked the question with regards to Z9 stock of some other retailers just to see if they tell me the same, I’m presuming it will be but I’ve not had any responses yet.

For me it’s an incredibly frustrating situation but I’ll caveat that by saying I understand the demand, chip availability and logistics issues caused by a multitude of global pressures but just wondered if any other forum members were also experiencing long delays.

Many thanks.

This post is aimed at UK members and if they have had or are having long waits for a Z9.

I ordered mine from my usual (major retailer) back in in early December and still have absolutely no clue as to when or indeed if I will have my order fulfilled this year.

I’ve been keeping in touch with the retailer every two or three months with the last chat the other day, I came away with the feeling I’m not going to get anything soon.

The only info the chap I spoke to could tell me was that Nikon UK were getting very small numbers of Z9’s and so retailers weren’t getting nearly enough to satisfy their back orders, he could give no estimates as to when of if the situation is going to improve.

I’ve asked the question with regards to Z9 stock of some other retailers just to see if they tell me the same, I’m presuming it will be but I’ve not had any responses yet.

For me it’s an incredibly frustrating situation but I’ll caveat that by saying I understand the demand, chip availability and logistics issues caused by a multitude of global pressures but just wondered if any other forum members were also experiencing long delays.

Many thanks.
Mine arrived at the end of June. Ordered from a major uk retailer within a week of the release. 5 November I think. Possibly the same retailer as you as I was getting the same reply every 6 or 8 weeks. I’d be positive and hope yours will arrive soon.
It’s early days and I’m still struggling to get to grips with it. It didn’t help that it arrived just as I was going away when a camera was not appropriate. But I am certain I’ll get better and that it is the right camera for me.

Mine arrived at the end of June. Ordered from a major uk retailer within a week of the release. 5 November I think. Possibly the same retailer as you as I was getting the same reply every 6 or 8 weeks. I’d be positive and hope yours will arrive soon.
It’s early days and I’m still struggling to get to grips with it. It didn’t help that it arrived just as I was going away when a camera was not appropriate. But I am certain I’ll get better and that it is the right camera for me.
Thanks Simon from a customer perspective its really frustrating but I can wait and it gives me a little more time to read a bit more.

As its worked out this year its not caused me great issues as due to one thing and another I haven’t been able to get out as much as I normally would have mind you this would have been a geat time to be learning.

Thanks for the reply and youve gave me a little more encouragement I might get a resolution sooner than I was thinking.

Cheers

I ordered mine on launch day and received it on the 20th of june, from WEX very long frustrating wait with numerous emails to the distributor and Nikon, no one gave me any useful information, just basically wait!
I was using the D5 & Z6ii, ive now sold the D5 as i never picked it up once getting the Z9, i absolutely love mine, predominantly use it for wildlife! just wish i could get a spare battery for it, I'm going to Mull early September just hope i can manage with one battery!!
Ive also got the 800 on order same again ordered it on launch day, but im not holding much hope out for seeing it this year!
Hang in there, when you get it im sure you'll love it!

I gave in with my UK order. They had no idea on when mine would arrive, probably not this year, and I was always chasing it. I went with Panamoz in the end, had it in 7 days and I’ve had some fantastic images this summer and I can’t wait for the winter migration.

I ordered mine on launch day and received it on the 20th of june, from WEX very long frustrating wait with numerous emails to the distributor and Nikon, no one gave me any useful information, just basically wait!
I was using the D5 & Z6ii, ive now sold the D5 as i never picked it up once getting the Z9, i absolutely love mine, predominantly use it for wildlife! just wish i could get a spare battery for it, I'm going to Mull early September just hope i can manage with one battery!!
Ive also got the 800 on order same again ordered it on launch day, but im not holding much hope out for seeing it this year!
Hang in there, when you get it im sure you'll love it!
Thanks yes mine is with WEX as well, like you I sold /traded in my D4 in anticipation and are running a D500 which is great but I do miss full frame.

As you say just a case of hanging in there 🤞.

Thanks for responding.

Last edited:
Yip it all seems a little random depending on the area.

Thanks for responding.
For the most part, it seems as though that, unless you got your order in before the Z9 was officially announced or extremely early afterward (and I mean early as in the first few minutes early) large volume retailers are delivering Z9s to customers much later than some of the smaller stores are. I ordered my Z9 from a smaller camera store near my home, late in the evening of the day after the announcement. My camera was delivered to the store in early March. Someone I know who ordered their Z9 from a big East Coast US retailer significantly earlier than I did got their camera in June.

From what I have read, it seems as though the big retailers have not received the number of cameras commensurate with the number of orders they have; especially when compared to some of the smaller, well established Nikon retailers.

For what that is worth towards you getting your Z9, which is nothing, just keep the faith that the camera is worth waiting for. And in the meantime, if you can get one sooner from another retailer and cancel your current order without penalty, do so. It will make you and the person waiting behind you happier.

For the most part, it seems as though that, unless you got your order in before the Z9 was officially announced or extremely early afterward (and I mean early as in the first few minutes early) large volume retailers are delivering Z9s to customers much later than some of the smaller stores are. I ordered my Z9 from a smaller camera store near my home, late in the evening of the day after the announcement. My camera was delivered to the store in early March. Someone I know who ordered their Z9 from a big East Coast US retailer significantly earlier than I did got their camera in June.

From what I have read, it seems as though the big retailers have not received the number of cameras commensurate with the number of orders they have; especially when compared to some of the smaller, well established Nikon retailers.

For what that is worth towards you getting your Z9, which is nothing, just keep the faith that the camera is worth waiting for. And in the meantime, if you can get one sooner from another retailer and cancel your current order without penalty, do so. It will make you and the person waiting behind you happier.
Thanks for responding.

Many thanks.

Camera lane in Melbourne great small dealership, when he gets an order for a Z9 he places it with Nikon and is allocated in the next batch, so far he is getting his allocated delivery, He is a very small dealer and has sold 12 units on a order in only basis.

Getting a Z9 reliably also has got to do with which retailer you order with.

Also Some retailers can be like car sales people and sell your allocation 3 or 4 times if they determine you are patient or not ringing up every 5 minutes.

You need to ring or go in very regularly, in some cases the moment you ask for your money back they think you have found a Z9 elsewhere and they panic, often they miraculously call you in a few days saying your Z9 has arrived or its coming in next week, how do they do this, because often they have pinched someone else's order that has arrived to sell to you.........and they just blow of the next person for a little while with excuses like Chip shortages, shipping issues, the Uber driver failed to deliver pizza to the Nikon night shift Staff making the Z9, what ever LOL, its in the cases SOB for some operators.

Be much more pushy and assertive, it often helps, calling every few months sends a single ahhh.......... we can moth ball him for later, wait till he screams or goes to cancel the order, hey that's business....especially with some larger retailers where sales people are paid on performance.

Ok, hears the deal, Toyota dealers quoted 10 to 12 months for a High Ace delivery, its BS, you walk in the door early April of a dealer with your opportunistic quick buy attitude or else and amazingly the Hi Ace being built April 14 build in Japan was ready to pick up in OZ 18th of May, go figure, you know what happened.

I pushed different dealers and got my self from delivery September, to July to June to finally May delivery Bingo i got a Hi Ace...........sadly that's business, the dealers justification of availability was, Oh we have a order cancellation that just occurred, be quick or we will need to move onto the next name on the list, done deal i said, there was no cancellation they just nicked the next delivery.

This practice hasn't changed in years.

To day the dealership have the same New Hi Ace on the lot for $75,000 drive away immediately, or $63,000 with 10 to 12 month delivery, they do this to snag the i need one now client at a premium............life sucks doesn't it, and let me tell you they do this regularly, the trick is they put 50 or 60 klm on the new vehicle and then put it on the used car lot to avoid being scolded by Toyota, its a dealer network tactic only, and it works.

Hey its only an opinion, i hope your Z9 comes soon, start kicking some doors in and let them know you have arrived LOL you have nothing to loose.

Last edited:
Thank you for the very comprehensive reply I’m getting to the stage now where I’m going to have to start living up to my user name 😄😜.

I know what I'm going to do and how to play it so we’ll see what happens.

As you say time me thinks to play a little hard ball.

Thanks for responding, appreciated.

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply I’m getting to the stage now where I’m going to have to start living up to my user name 😄😜.

I know what I'm going to do and how to play it so we’ll see what happens.

As you say time me thinks to play a little hard ball.

Thanks for responding, appreciated.
Go for it mate, kick some doors in, hunt for those that can do things for you, leave the rest with excuses in your wake.........

Hi @luckmurph I ordered my spare Z9 Battery from LCE, it arrived 7 days later. You may want to order a Nikon BL7 too! I got mine from LCE as well, about 10 days after ordering.

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/produ...rorless-protection/battery-chamber-cover-bl-7
Thank you, everywhere is out of stock!
I’m on a few companies mailing list to inform me when they get them back in stock
I’m off to Mull, first 2 weeks in September, stopping in my camper with not many opportunities for charging
I’ve just ordered a battery power bank for mobile charging, see how I get on with that!

Back