Z9 Battery Calibration over 6 hours

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cchuck

ChuckCarlson
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I decided to follow the Ref Guide to calibrate the Z9 battery. It's taking longer than expected. The calibration process took about 9 hours and results in a battery that starts charging from somewhere below 50%. I now expect it to take 13-14 hours from calibration start to fully charged battery.

You shouldn't need to calibrate the battery yet, but the times you state aren't excessive. My 18b and c's take 6-12 hrs depending on how much charge is left when I start. I usually have about 50% and it'll take 4-6 hrs for it to draw down, then another 5-6 to come up to full charge. With the added capacity of the 18d, those times seem ok.

I read about another Z9 battery that requested calibration after an update to the new firmware. Did your calibration follow the update? There have been a few reports of weird stuff going down with FW updates.

I calibrated it because the CALIBRATE light on the charger came on.

Perfect reason. (y)
In the 18 years I have used D1 (my first digital) thru D6 cameras, I have seen that calibrate lite only a few times. I start it and check on it the next morning, it's a long process. Too, I recall the battery gains (drops life) a number in its life as in 0 to 1, but not always.

I read about another Z9 battery that requested calibration after an update to the new firmware. Did your calibration follow the update? There have been a few reports of weird stuff going down with FW updates.
Yes, after the firmware update, the CALIBRATE light came on.

I was using my Z9 this last week near the Seal River on Hudson Bay. Ambient air temps were from +5 to -5 Fahrenheit, dropping as low as -20 to -30 F with windchill.

The Z9 and my Z7II worked well -- used the Z 100-400 and 500 mm PF, in some cases with their respective Z or F mount 1.4 TCs, and the Z 20 mm f1.8 for northern lights.

I had 3 EN-EL 18D batteries for my Z9. All new this year. They seemed to hold up well in the cold. Using firmware 3.0.

On the second to the last day of my trip, the EN-EL18D that I had been using that morning triggered the calibrate light when I put it on the Nikon charger. I assume I should calibrate it. Does this indicate any damage or other concern with the battery, other than the time to recalibrate it? Any chance it was triggered by the cold (although it did not happen to the other two EN-EL18D batteries that were equally used in the cold). I tended to put the batteries on the chanrger while they were still pretty cold -- perhaps that was a bad idea?

From the Z9 reference manual:
"Although calibration is recommended for accurate measurement of battery charge state, calibration need not be performed when the calibration lamp flashes. Once begun, calibration can be interrupted as desired."

I have already calibrated mine for the same reason - it flashed when I put it on the charger. In addition, if you look under Battery Info in the Setup Menu, it'll tell you if the battery is due for calibration. It's not an emergency, just a good overnight project. Nothing to read too much into either way.

Thanks cchuck, Sandy and Steve. I have the battery on the charger to do a recalibration. Interestingly, the Nikon online reference guide (see link provided above by cchuck) notes that the EN-EL18D should not be used below +14 degrees Fahrenheit:

"Do not use the battery at ambient temperatures below −10 °C (14 °F) or above 40 °C (104 °F). Failure to observe this precaution could damage the battery or impair its performance. Charge the battery indoors at ambient temperatures of 5 °C–35 °C (41 °F–95 °F). The battery will not charge if its temperature is below 0 °C (32 °F) or above 60 °C (140 °F)."

My three EN-EL18Ds worked fine down to -5 Fahrenheit (windchill -20 to -30 F) for 3+ hour sessions outside. I don't know if the need for calibiration was trigggered by the cold. I kept the extra batteries in a pocket under my coat to stay warm when outside (never had to change an EN-EL18D battery during an outdoor session) and brought the batteries inside when not photographing outside. (Left cameras/lenses, minus batteries, in a cold area when not in use to avoid condensation and to be temperature adjusted without delay when we went outside.)

I decided to follow the Ref Guide to calibrate the Z9 battery. It's taking longer than expected. The calibration process took about 9 hours and results in a battery that starts charging from somewhere below 50%. I now expect it to take 13-14 hours from calibration start to fully charged battery.

I have found that when I charge my EL-18x batteries on a unreliable electrical source (traveling in remote areas) the calibration light will come on. I ignore this until I get home. Yes it takes what seems to be forever and a day to calibrate but I don't care, I have plenty of time to let the battery sit in the charger at home.

I have found that when I charge my EL-18x batteries on a unreliable electrical source (traveling in remote areas) the calibration light will come on. I ignore this until I get home. Yes it takes what seems to be forever and a day to calibrate but I don't care, I have plenty of time to let the battery sit in the charger at home.
Interesting. I was charging the battery at a remote lodge. Electricity came from solar panels and a generator.

Back