Z9 battery question / wasabi power BTR-ENEL 18 D/ anyone use ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I see a really good price for these off brand batteries for my Nikon Z9 and was considering getting a two pack as back ups but not sure…
anyone on this forum tried the off brand batteries ? Any reason why or why not to consider these ?

So far I’ve just been using the one original battery and they do have a long battery life, but want back up for just in case And long outings.

I've used Wasabi batteries both in my D850/D800/D500 and in various GoPros with decent results. They tend to decharge when not in use, so I always make sure to charge them before I leave on a trip, though. Life is less than my OEM batteries, but it's better than nothing.

I'm definitely interested in hearing how people fare with them in the Z9, especially since it has a dual charger. I'd be interested in that on its own, honestly.

I've used Wasabi batteries both in my D850/D800/D500 and in various GoPros with decent results. They tend to decharge when not in use, so I always make sure to charge them before I leave on a trip, though. Life is less than my OEM batteries, but it's better than nothing.

I'm definitely interested in hearing how people fare with them in the Z9, especially since it has a dual charger. I'd be interested in that on its own, honestly.
Never had a discharge problem with the Wasabi. Their original charger didn't fit the Nikon Z9 Batteries. I haven't called them back to order a new charger and batteries as I was told the new charger was coming in a few weeks.

Never had a discharge problem with the Wasabi. Their original charger didn't fit the Nikon Z9 Batteries. I haven't called them back to order a new charger and batteries as I was told the new charger was coming in a few weeks.
Huh, I must just have bad luck. Or maybe there's QC issues and I got a bad batch.

When you get the new charger, I'd love to know if it works on both the Wasabi and OEM batteries.

Not the Wasabi battery, but I have been using/alternating the Power2000 battery in my Z9 as recommended by Thom Hogan for 2.5 months with no issues what so ever.

I see a really good price for these off brand batteries for my Nikon Z9 and was considering getting a two pack as back ups but not sure…
anyone on this forum tried the off brand batteries ? Any reason why or why not to consider these ?

So far I’ve just been using the one original battery and they do have a long battery life, but want back up for just in case And long outings.

I just ordered one from Amazon. Arriving tomorrow. At $80 vs $220 it's worth a try. I'll let you know ....
My Wasabi battery arrived today. It charged just fine in the MH-33, and all function on the Z9 work. I'll see how long / how many frames the charge lasts, but as a back up in the field it's a bargain at 1/3 the cost of an OEM battery.

Also a user of the Wasabi batteries since I received my Z9 in April and they seem to perform on par with the OEM Nikon batteries...I have two of each. As others have mentioned, the Wasabi charger does not charge the Nikon "18D" version batteries. I have two of said Wasabi chargers if anyone wants one of them to charge their Wasabi batteries. I don't know if they'll charger earlier Nikon EN-EL18A, B or C batteries as I never bought any OEM batteries for my D850 and D500.

Also a user of the Wasabi batteries since I received my Z9 in April and they seem to perform on par with the OEM Nikon batteries...I have two of each. As others have mentioned, the Wasabi charger does not charge the Nikon "18D" version batteries. I have two of said Wasabi chargers if anyone wants one of them to charge their Wasabi batteries. I don't know if they'll charger earlier Nikon EN-EL18A, B or C batteries as I never bought any OEM batteries for my D850 and D500.
Yes they will, I used them for my D500 and D850.

Last edited:
Posted on FB today…
9BFD4AB9-7C8E-4606-92DB-2A5E18230235.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That's a very odd looking failure...were any details given? Failure in the camera, in the charger or just in storage? Very interesting markings on the plastic shell...like dimples left by pliers or a vise. No visible heat deformation or discoloration of the batteries visible through the hole. Color me suspicious...

He says he got them off Amazon,,,,buys 10 then swaps them out every couple of years. Other than that he's reconsidering staying with Nikon. LOL

Thought about getting one…but a 5500 body, another 7000 in lenses, most of 1000 on cards…and decided cheating out on a spare battery was nuts. They’re probably fine…but are cheap compared to the rest of the gear.

Thought about getting one…but a 5500 body, another 7000 in lenses, most of 1000 on cards…and decided cheating out on a spare battery was nuts. They’re probably fine…but are cheap compared to the rest of the gear.
There is also the possibility that Nikon's next software update will block non-Nikon batteries from working. However when I wanted my first spare several months ago, no Nikon batteries were available for the Z9 (and almost ran down the one I had one morning shooting). So bought the Wasabit. Now I see they are readily available (and did buy a spare Nikon).

I've used Wasabi batteries in the past.
And older wasabi EN-EL18 batteries dont work in the Z9.
I've always been wary about third party batteries - bad ones can expand and damage your camera.
An alternative is to use Genuine EN-EL18c instead of EN-18d batteries - nearly the same battery life and all the in-camera charge functionality for 1/2 the price...🦘

It is not unusual for third party batteries to have problems as there are key components omitted to cut costs, including those to prevent a thermal runaway which happens with lithium batteries. A while back there were many Canon counterfeit video batteries and problems with them catching fire and destroying the camera. For my part a camera that I hold up to my face is more of a concern than other devices.

I have bought non Nikon batteries usually from B&H as I figured that if there were problems they would discontinue one brand and switch to a different one. The are selling the Power2000 at this time which is in some ways an endorsement. Researching Watson and Wasabi versions of the EN-EL18d batteries the people with the Watson were happier overall than the ones using the Wasabi ones.

With the EN-EL18d batteries I only need one in the camera and a charged second battery and so for my two Z9 cameras that means 4 Nikon batteries. Not a big expense in the overall scheme of things as my batteries in the past have never failed during the time I owned and used them.

Video is a different matter with regard to how many minutes with the Z9 per battery. In the long run a larger power source may be in order. Back to needing a Quantum battery pack as I did with the D1x when shooting stills.

Reactions: Roy
Does anyone know of a Canadian source other than Amazon who want almost 50% of the battery price in shipping costs?
Have you tried to buy from Wasabi directly? Not sure if shipping will be the same but they say they ship around the world.

I had Wasabi EN-EL18a's (i think) for my D850. Those didn't work in the Z9. The Wasabi ENEL-18d's work fine and even charge in the Z9 using the USB.

Had a spare on the inside of my jacket for a 4 hour snowshoe tour in Yellowstone last weekend, and never needed to get it out. the wasabi in the camera worked
fine all day while exposed to the cold.

I Mainly use Genuine Batteries but bought OEM when I had to.
OEM usually work fine but usually less battery life.
When Li-ion batteries fail they swell up and cane even burst or catch fire.
Never charge third party OEM batteries in the camera - It the go wrong they could expand and detroy you cameras.
They could expand when being used but the chance is signifigantly less... 🦘

Back