Z9: Can you assign a custom button for AF subject selection in Ver. 5?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jhallettbc

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Is it now possible to assign AF subject selection to a custom button? I have searched and can't see any option for that. It would seem like an obvious choice for customization.

Info button menu> AF-area mode> bottom row …. That’s one way.
My Recall Shooing Function assigned to Fn3 for Bank B has it set to birds.

I watched a video on recall shooting function, saved the settings and assigned it to Fn1. However it doesn't recall anything. I must be missing some step. Any ideas?

I figured it out. I thought you just had to make the settings in the recall shooting but then I realized you actually have to set up the camera as though you are going to take the photo, i.e. with the right shutter speed, aperture, continuous high shooting, etc. And then save the settings.

It only saves to the Custom setting bank you are in. 2. After you set itup you then HAVE TO go to the spanner setingmenu and go to save/load settings AND save the setting. Are you choosing RSF hold or just RSF?
There is more than one way to get this wrong, so you need to work through it thoroughly.

It only saves to the Custom setting bank you are in. 2. After you set itup you then HAVE TO go to the spanner setingmenu and go to save/load settings AND save the setting. Are you choosing RSF hold or just RSF?
There is more than one way to get this wrong, so you need to work through it thoroughly.
Yes, that is what I figured out. I am using RSF hold.

Custom Settings> f controls > f2 Custom controls (shooting) > OK > Fn 3 > Recall shooting functions (hold) > toggle each item to tick the features and setting option you want. In my case I set the AF subject detection options [then right press the multi function ring around the OK button] > I chose birds > Menu done (except it’s NOT! ) > return arrow or left click> down to Setup Menu > Save/load menu settings (make sure you have a card in slot one) > Save. Turn off camera and try the setting.

There are at least 3 setup options: Using the i-Menu, RSF, and Top Item-MyMenu. I've settled on the MyMenu trick as the easiest setting to switch Subject Modes.

Simply assign the Subject Mode options as the "Access top item in MyMenu" in a Custom Button
This works best for me with Custom Setting f6 turned ON "Press Button to Release Dial", as I can scroll between Modes using the rear wheel without leaving the EVF

Given the Z9 has only a few easy to access programable buttons and I keep changing my mind and finding things I would rather do with them, I like to use the i menu instead. I can do it without taking my eye away from the viewfinder.
It depends what else you would like to do. I have tried the my menu option but changing subject detection is not as high on my list as it used to be so I keep my Fn 1, 2, and 3 buttons for other things.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can related to what you Griffym say about keep changing your mind about the best set ups. Before the new firmware, I had my AF subject detection on MY MENU and was hoping there was one simple button to press like with the new AF mode. I did follow your instructions about how to set up RSF and now it meets my criteria of one button selection. I like that I can do it without taking my eye off the view finder. With MY MENU there are a few steps to follow and you can't keep looking through the viewfinder. My least favourite method is i-menu. That is the thing I like least about my Z6ii.

In addition to the one button cycling for AF which I love in the new firmware, I'm also really liking being able to make the borders of the AF area bigger so they stand out. A number of times I can't find where the AF area has gone with really bright light. Goodbye to that problem.

I am really hoping someone starts a thread about the new features they find most useful and we can all add to it.

If you are using a Z mount lens with a Fn ring, you can configure it to turn the subject detection on/off instantly, via RSF set-up. I configured it this way on my 400 S TC And is so intuitive. You can simply turn it on or off without taking your eyes off the EVF.

Thanks, I have set my Lens Fn button on to the top item on My Menu. I will see how well that works. I have set my focus indicator border to 2. I have changed my Bank B (Birding/action) so that Fn1 is 3DAF FX) , Fn2 is Cycle between focus modes, 😀, Fn3 is RSF.
I do find that sometimes I like to toggle FX and DX. Maybe I should get the Display button to do that?

Thanks, I have set my Lens Fn button on to the top item on My Menu. I will see how well that works. I have set my focus indicator border to 2. I have changed my Bank B (Birding/action) so that Fn1 is 3DAF FX) , Fn2 is Cycle between focus modes, 😀, Fn3 is RSF.
I do find that sometimes I like to toggle FX and DX. Maybe I should get the Display button to do that?
For FX/DX I use the bracket button because it's easy to find.

Back