Z9 charging in field

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Tibor Hrnko

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Could you please post to this thread your tested and commented options to charge Z9 batteries during shooting?

These are facts which prompted this thread:
  • Price of EN-EL18 c/d is ridiculously high (I have no problem to pay for high price for something worth it, but a battery which has same price as a cheap lens is outrageous IMO)
  • No 3rd party battery available in Czech Republic (EU) works with Z9
  • I could not find any working solution for charging the Z9 during action photo session
  • Theoretically, Z9 should work on USB-C, but charging from computer (AMD X570 chipset) or from power bank is awkward.
Any concrete comments and proposals of a working solution are welcome.
If possible, avoid general comments on how bad this situation is :).

Not exactly sure what scenario you have in mind.

If you want to boost your battery on-the-go then a rechargeable charging bank might be the way to go.

Back in the hotel room, I use Anker 100 watt USB-C chargers for cameras and computer.

Are you using up a single battery in a day of shooting?

I bought a spare but never have come close to using it all so far.

Thank you a lot for the ideas guys. I have not tried the supplied EN-EL18d in the field properly yet, but from my XP with D850, browsing and deleting useless pictures during air shows drained the battery a lot, so I suspect it will be same or worse with mirrorless. My question was a more specific one though:
  • I have tried to charge the camera from computer, but it is not charging when in camera is ON. (I may be doing something wrong though).
  • Computer charging seems to be slow even in USB 3.2 slots
    • if computer goes to sleep mode charging stops
  • When camera is working from a power bank via USB-C, quick action is limited by the cord. Have you find a solution to that
  • Do you find it viable to replenish some power from USB during breaks? If so how quickly can you do it?
    • how much power is possible to get in a 15 minutes break
    • what power bank do you use for it
  • Are you using USB banks to charge spare battery
    • how quickly it is charging when off grid
  • Can any other type of compatible EN-EL18 be charged from a power bank using the provided charger
    • I am considering to buy a used EN-EL18c as a backup
I am planning to do my own testing, but if there are answers available already, I will be glad to use them in order not to reinvent the wheel and spare some bucks. :)

yes, as far as know, the camera has to be "off" to charge. yes, batteries charge slowly.

i think you can expect AROUND 6 hours runtime on a en-el18d, shooting or just having the camera on

Nikon MH-33 charger, usb power bank with power delivery (PD) capability* and usb-c to usb-c cable. the same power setup should power the camera OR charge the battery, just not both at the same time. note, i don't recommend this _specific_ power bank because you'll probably want something bigger. *if the power bank doesn't have PD, it won't charge

4BF46AD9-10F6-4210-BD94-E201EE56AC81.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

0665CD44-A966-4E0C-BADA-1B130BEE9C8D.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I look like a nerd but this is what I used in the field for another mirrorless and I will try it with the Z9 in a couple of weeks. It powers and charges.

Powerbank: Anker 737 26,000 mAh
Cable: TetherPro C-to-C, 1m

All tucked in inside a Spiritus Systems chest harness that I either wear or dangle off my tripod or leave in the bag.

also, if you want to run tethered to a power bank, you can get cable clamps to go with the Small Rig cage which might be a good idea to protect the camera and cable from damage via accidental bumps.

alternately, you can use the cable stabilizer thingy that comes with the camera, but they don't look that robust to me.

The USB charging is actually at a higher amp level than the old AC charger by about 50%. It is still only 1.6A and so charging a EN-EL18d 3300 mAh battery is going to take hours. I knew before the Z9 cameras started to ship that there would not be enough EN-EL18d batteries available and so I ordered the one I did find a month ago. When the Z9 arrived I had two batteries for use. The Z9 will operate with the older EN-EL18 b and c versions which are available as third party versions.

In terms of cost relative to the number of shots per charge the Nikon EN-EL18d are not more expensive than their predecessors or the current Nikon EN-EL15 battery. At least in the USA when a scarce item is on backorder I place an order with the reseller regardless as when new inventory does arrive I am far more likely to get my order filled than if I wait to see it show as available to order on a website.

I have tested how long does it take to get from 50% to full charge from a power bank 5/9V 1.6/3A. 30 000 mAh using charger and in body.

I have charged from 50% to 82% in body, it drained about 3000 mAh and took more than 1h
I have charged from 82% to 100% on charger connected to the power bank and it drained about 1800 mAh and lasted less then 1h

It seems viable to charge in the field from a power bank, using the charger is probably slightly better as it can be done in a backpack and feels to be a bit more effective.
30 000 mAh should be definitively enough for several full charges.
Optimally with extra battery. One charged while the other one is used.

My recent test in charging from 60% to 100% using 30 000 mAh battery shows:
2 000 mAh of battery power was charged using 7 500 mAh of the charger. Charging lasted 2 hrs. I have charged it in the charger provided with the camera using USB-C cable.

Results seem to be consistent with previous measurements. It hints that a 10 000 mAh battery can be used for one charging of EN-EL18d which is almost empty.

Back