Z9 exposure delay mode

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I can’t for the life of me figure out why Nikon has removed the option for exposure delay in the Z9. This is something I use frequently and I’m sure others do as well. I wonder if it will be added via firmware at a later date? I realize I can use the app and actuate the shutter thru my phone and all that but that mode is extremely handy for landscape, macro, etc…

It has not been removed. Works the same way as the D5, D6, D850. Shutter-delay is in the menu as “c2”. Shutter delay is on the top left rotating dial after “H” - looks sort of like a clock face.

It has not been removed. Works the same way as the D5, D6, D850. Shutter-delay is in the menu as “c2”. Shutter delay is on the top left rotating dial after “H” - looks sort of like a clock face.
I'll check that out. It is D4 on the other Z cameras.

That's still not exactly the same as the way the other Z bodies work. They have a dedicated function you can put in the I menu but this would still work. This feature you're talking about is also in both versions of the Z6&7. The D4 setting in the Z6/7 1&2 is a quicker more user friendly way to utilize shutter delay but This also can work.

From what I understand, it was there just for shutter vibrations. No shutter, no vibration. But there is still the 2sec self timer. From recollection, the D6 had both.

From what I understand, it was there just for shutter vibrations. No shutter, no vibration. But there is still the 2sec self timer. From recollection, the D6 had both.
You’re still going to have potential vibrations from pressing the shutter button regardless of the absence of a shutter. I am well aware that the D500 and D850has this mode mentioned above because I had those cameras but the Z system shutter delay mode is totally different and much easier to use and user-friendly. I’m sure they can add it as an option to the I am and you just like the earlier versions of the bodies. I mainly use this feature for macro shooting and landscape shots and it is a very handy feature to have.

For added precaution, delay also eliminates the risk of small camera shake due to the pressure on the shutter button.

That's what the 2 second timer would handle, no?
That is not what I’m saying. I am saying it is much easier to use when it’s available in the I menu as opposed to having to go through all the shutter speed and functions to get to it. I could have it set up and the shot taken before you ever got to the option by the other route

For that matter they have also taken away the ability to add any metering mode to the lens function that is available on both versions of the Z6 and z7 which again I have no idea why they would do so

I completely realize they want to make this camera comfortable for people transitioning from DSLR cameras but they also need to keep some of the features that were in the earlier Z bodies for people like myself that is shot with them for four years.

For added precaution, delay also eliminates the risk of small camera shake due to the pressure on the shutter button.

100% in agreement with you. I think that's their reasoning but I also wish to have it back for the same reason you do. The 2sec timer is the same and the light doesn't change that fast, so it will do.

100% in agreement with you. I think that's their reasoning but I also wish to have it back for the same reason you do. The 2sec timer is the same and the light doesn't change that fast, so it will do.
I totally agree and it would be nice if they would keep the same features they were in the earlier versions of this camera so it doesn’t create confusion for people like myself that still own the other bodies. There’s absolutely zero reason this can’t be added in a firmware update as an option that can be enabled if a person wants to use it or disabled if they don’t. I have had spot metering on my 500 mm PF lens ever since the first versions of the Z camera and now I can’t use that option again it makes no damn sense.

Last edited:
I totally agree and it would be nice if they would keep the same features they were in the earlier versions of this camera so it doesn’t create confusion for people like myself that still own the other bodies. There’s absolutely zero reason this can’t be added in a firmware update as an option that can be enabled if a person wants to use it or disabled if they don’t. I have had spot metering on my 500 mm PF lens ever since the first versions of the Z camera and now I can’t use that option again it makes no damn sense.
I think the general consensus is that the 2 sec self timer AND exposure delay are redundant features in absence of a shutter mechanism. The need to access spot metering likely went away due to WYSIWYG. Normally spot metering was used to meter scenes that confuse the metering system.... Now you can just SEE if its right in the viewfinder. I dont mean any offense but they seem like a feature set that is no longer needed.

I think the general consensus is that the 2 sec self timer AND exposure delay are redundant features in absence of a shutter mechanism. The need to access spot metering likely went away due to WYSIWYG. Normally spot metering was used to meter scenes that confuse the metering system.... Now you can just SEE if its right in the viewfinder. I dont mean any offense but they seem like a feature set that is no longer needed.
I suppose if I get rid of both of the other Z bodies it won’t be an issue because there will be no confusion between the two platforms. Again like I said earlier in the thread, I’m sure they’re gearing this more toward people transitioning from dslrs to mirrorless to make the transition easier and I completely understand that. I tend to use spot metering quite often and by no means use it every time I go out but it is handy to have it times especially assigned to the lens function button. Not to sound like a broken record, it would still be nice if these functions were available to either enable or disable so as not to confuse the people who already have been shooting with the z bodies for four years. I’m sure all of us who have shot these cameras for a while now will catch on and it will be second nature after a while so really I guess it’s no big deal.

And using your analogy of what you see is what you get is exactly right because if I’m exposing for a hawk with a bright background it’s going to expose for the background. I can easily press the button on the lens and spot meter and meter the scene correctly within a split second. The alternative would be, I would have to go into the menu system to enact spot metering or exposure compensation, both of which are a two step process. There are numerous shots I have taken over the years I have saved by this method. Some of the native Z lenses that have the control ring allow you to assign exposure compensation and 4-5 others functions to it which is really nice. Again it comes down to habit from using these bodies for a long time and it just sort of sucks that it’s not available now.

Last edited:
Just for me, but the release mode dial and the release mode button on the Z9 (page 145-146 of the manual) is faster and easier to use than the “i” menu on the z6/z7. On the Z9, I can change the release mode (including self-timer) on the fly. There is no need to use the “c2” setting in the menu of the Z9, unless you want to go that route.

Again, just me, but I’m pleased the Z9 user interface is more like a D3 to D850 than a D600 to Z5/6/7 as I’ve spent more time using D3 to D850’s and find that interface faster because of things like a mode dial instead of having to get into a menu setting.

Just for me, but the release mode dial and the release mode button on the Z9 (page 145-146 of the manual) is faster and easier to use than the “i” menu on the z6/z7. On the Z9, I can change the release mode (including self-timer) on the fly. There is no need to use the “c2” setting in the menu of the Z9, unless you want to go that route.

Again, just me, but I’m pleased the Z9 user interface is more like a D3 to D850 than a D600 to Z5/6/7 as I’ve spent more time using D3 to D850’s and find that interface faster because of things like a mode dial instead of having to get into a menu setting.
Just a habit I’ll have to break. Not the end of the world and you are correct, it is definitely more like using my old D850 or D500.

Back