Z9 exposure delay mode

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I totally agree and it would be nice if they would keep the same features they were in the earlier versions of this camera so it doesn’t create confusion for people like myself that still own the other bodies. There’s absolutely zero reason this can’t be added in a firmware update as an option that can be enabled if a person wants to use it or disabled if they don’t. I have had spot metering on my 500 mm PF lens ever since the first versions of the Z camera and now I can’t use that option again it makes no damn sense.

What modes is spot meter disabled on? List I saw on the web:

Matrix.

75% center-weighted in center 12mm.

Full-frame unweighted average.

4mm spot on selected AF point.

Highlight-weighed.

What modes is spot meter disabled on? List I saw on the web:

Matrix.

75% center-weighted in center 12mm.

Full-frame unweighted average.

4mm spot on selected AF point.

Highlight-weighed.
It cannot be assigned to the lens function button like the Z6, Z7, Z7ii or Z6ii. I have had all of these cameras and you can assign spot metering to a lens function button. You Cannot on the Z9

It cannot be assigned to the lens function button like the Z6, Z7, Z7ii or Z6ii. I have had all of these cameras and you can assign spot metering to a lens function button. You Cannot on the Z9

Now I see. So you still have spot metering, just less convenient?

Now I see. So you still have spot metering, just less convenient?
Yes, spot metering is still available like it always was but it was extremely convenient and one button press to activate in this manner. Some people don't use spot much but I find it very useful in some situations. Now I have to take basically 3 actions to achieve what I could with one button press.

Yes, spot metering is still available like it always was but it was extremely convenient and one button press to activate in this manner. Some people don't use spot much but I find it very useful in some situations. Now I have to take basically 3 actions to achieve what I could with one button press.

That does seem a step back. It can't be assigned to a camera button or a part of a custom mode?

It has not been removed. Works the same way as the D5, D6, D850. Shutter-delay is in the menu as “c2”. Shutter delay is on the top left rotating dial after “H” - looks sort of like a clock face.

The self timer is different from shutter delay. The former requires use of the release mode dial and is much more difficult to activate than shutter delay. The D850 has both and I frequently use it with this camera. It is true that shutter delay is less needed with the Z9 which is mirror less and has no mechanical shutter, but I would still like to have it available on the Z9.

Bill

I too noticed that the exposure delay option was gone, but the self timer with the Z9 is actually better. Switching to the self timer is faster than digging through the menus to get to the exposure delay option and the self timer has some addition features. You can choose the time (10, 5, and 2 seconds believe) and you can also choose to have it shoot more than one shot - and specify the delay between multiple self-timer shots. For what I use exposure delay mode for, this is really handy and with these options, I don't mind the missing exposure delay option.

Here's one way I use it (this is from my Sony A1 book - it too has multi-shot options for the self timer).

One “dim light” technique I use is dropping to insanely low shutter speeds and engaging the self-timer to keep movement to a minimum on my end. As you can imagine, this little trick requires a very stationary animal and a camera locked down on a tripod. It’s proven itself a great way to keep away from ultra-high ISOs in fading light when you have a cooperative critter.

My technique is simple: First, with the electronic shutter engaged (to avoid vibration), I rotate my drive dial to self-timer. Next, I lock everything down and focus carefully on the animal’s eye. Then, I change my shutter speed to something that would send chills down the spine of a typical wildlife photographer - typically dropping to between 1/8th and 1/30th of a second.

Finally, I carefully, gently, press the shutter release and step back, letting the camera do the work (I hold my breath too, but I don't think that’s required). As long as the animal (or its perch) doesn’t move, I’m golden.

However, in that scenario, I think there’s an advantage to letting the camera pop off three in a row, just in case there is a bit of movement from the subject. Maybe the first shot shows a touch of motion, the second less, and the third is clean. Either way, I think it’s better to have three than just a single shot. Of course, there’s also an option for five shots and it might prove a better choice for more demanding situations where the subject isn’t always perfectly still or your target is in a tree and a pesky breeze is conspiring against you.

Thanks Steve, and everyone for sharing out loud ;)

For me, delayed release is definitely a removed feature, but part of a larger missing item in banks - Release Mode. This is a much larger hole since there are *so many* release options with the Z9!

I want to have Release Mode as a Shooting menu item that is saved with Shooting banks (not the i menu!), so I can quickly, with one button press-cmd dial rotate go from slow moving subjects (bird perched) @ 6fps (with low ISO, slow shutter speed, maybe aperture stopped down a bit for sharpness), to 20fps (with auto ISO, high shutter speed, and aperture wide open).

I've discussed this a bit with Brad Hill (he already had it on his wishlist - I'm "D. Armstrong" in the list btw), but will reinforce the request now that I've had more field tests of the Z9.

Delayed Release mode - same deal, except having that on a Custom bank is preferable, as I'd like that associated with switching to doing Landscapes on a tripod (as I have on my D850). I'd prefer to still have that option rather than having to go to the Release Mode button on the camera top.

Agreed with Steve about the ability to do multiple shots with a single Release press (we need a new word for "Shutter Release" on the Z9! haha) - very nice! Auto bracketing is great, as I used to have to count exposures.

Cheers!

...Dave...

I too noticed that the exposure delay option was gone, but the self timer with the Z9 is actually better. Switching to the self timer is faster than digging through the menus to get to the exposure delay option and the self timer has some addition features. You can choose the time (10, 5, and 2 seconds believe) and you can also choose to have it shoot more than one shot - and specify the delay between multiple self-timer shots. For what I use exposure delay mode for, this is really handy and with these options, I don't mind the missing exposure delay option.

Steve,

You raise some good points about using the self timer, but I would still like to have shutter delay on the Z9. With my D850, I added shutter delay to my custom menu. To invoke shutter delay I merely had to touch the LCD screen to bring up the custom menu and then touch the shutter delay option--not really digging through the menus. Very easy and fast. I don't really like unlocking the release dial and selecting self-timer.

Although shutter delay is less needed with a mirrorless camera without a mechanical shutter, I agree with Steve Haddix that pressing the shutter button could result in some camera vibration. The Z9 has a bewildering number of custom settngs and adding one more would not break the bank.

Cheers.

Bill

From what I understand, it was there just for shutter vibrations. No shutter, no vibration. But there is still the 2sec self timer. From recollection, the D6 had both.
I thought exposure delay mode was mainly (only?) to allow time for the camera to stabilize after pressing the shutter / removing your hand from the body?

Reactions: Hut
With my D850 - doing architectural HDR........I would set bracketing for the number of shots and exposure adjustment I wanted to take, then I set the dial to "timer" which invoked my settings for 2 second delay and the number of shots and "space" I wanted to take. Then I would press of the shutter and the camera would automatically take all bracketed shots. If my timer settings were 2" and only 1 shot....that would allow for mirror "dampening" for 1 shot.

I'm not seeing the problem - or missing capability - with Z9 settings...... Help me out...............

With my D850 - doing architectural HDR........I would set bracketing for the number of shots and exposure adjustment I wanted to take, then I set the dial to "timer" which invoked my settings for 2 second delay and the number of shots and "space" I wanted to take. Then I would press of the shutter and the camera would automatically take all bracketed shots. If my timer settings were 2" and only 1 shot....that would allow for mirror "dampening" for 1 shot.

I'm not seeing the problem - or missing capability - with Z9 settings...... Help me out...............
For me the only thing "missing" is that I'd like to be able to set the delay shorter than 2 sec. If they provided at least a 1 sec and ideally also a 0.5 sec, I'd be set. 2 sec is mostly fine and I can generally make do, and it'll probably encourage me not to forget my remote trigger ....

I was mostly just surprised that it was gone.

That is not what I’m saying. I am saying it is much easier to use when it’s available in the I menu as opposed to having to go through all the shutter speed and functions to get to it. I could have it set up and the shot taken before you ever got to the option by the other route
there is also annoying green light when in self timer mode, this is bad when others around doesn't like it and i couldn't find were to eliminate it

there is also annoying green light when in self timer mode, this is bad when others around doesn't like it and i couldn't find were to eliminate it
I put a small patch of gaffers tape over the green light. Certainly don’t want the green led coming on when I’m out taking photos at night, especially if I’m out taking night sky images with a group.

I just used my Z9 in some very low light. I turned the left dial to timer. Then shot as usual, getting a 2 second delay between the time I touched the camera and when the exposure was taken. Quick and Easy and enough time for any vibrations to settle out. Same process I used on my D860 and D5.

Back