Z9 file transfers (best way and preferences)?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

KurtH

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to the Z9, coming off a Z7ii, Z6, D800, D300, etc. I used to be a card reader guy with all my digitals but I've recently moved over to using the Z9's ethernet port for my transfers. It seems easier, it's automated, and it helps to minimize/eliminate the wear and tear on the camera door. Since there are several ways to accomplish the same task of getting the files off the camera and onto the desired storage media, I thought I would pose the question(s) on this forum to see what others are doing...and why.

As I understand it, there are 4 basic ways to transfer files off the Z9 (or other cameras with an ethernet adaptor); card reader, WiFi, Ethernet, and USB-C. Am I missing another way?

While the USB port offers a speedier transfer rate over wifi and Ethernet, I'm not too keen on using the USB port as it will potentially wear over time (as with a USB port on most phones that I've owned). The cable/connector can come out fairly easily and/or can get yanked out on an angle if you're not careful. So I opted for the next speediest option, the ethernet port. I prefer this option over USB because of the positive connection, the click I hear when the connector is in, and the tab that holds the connector in during transfers. It's next to impossible to damage that port unless you're using a bad connector or are overly careless with the connection. I also do not like placing the camera close to the computer just to make the USB connection, seems awkward with the limited space I have on my desk.

I now keep my camera/lens combo on the tripod in the far corner of the room (out of the way of jumping cats and running dogs) and merely plug in the RJ45 connector from a nearby network connection, turn on the camera, and it automatically transfers the new files to the designated folder...easy peasy fresh and sneezy. This seems to work for me but I'm curious if I'm missing something even cooler on the Z9 for file transfers.

I do understand the Z9 USB connection will give me a 10 or 20G (unsure which) transfer rate vs. 1G on ethernet, and that the USB will also change the battery. So the tradeoff I'm making is that I'm giving up the higher transfer speed and a battery charge for simplicity and ease. Is there something else I should be looking into?

I do appreciate any ideas and experiences the group/forum can share 🙏

Kurt

Curious how many photos you've been transferring at a time? When I was on vacation I was copying to my Macbook, but didn't want to clear off the cf express cards just as a backup / precaution. By the time I passed 1,000 photos it was extremely time consuming to use the Nikon transfer program, it would take many minutes to even set up each time I connected the USB cable, and then quite a while longer to transfer the pictures. I also found the program had a tendency to crash, making me reset the whole process over and over again. I've sworn away from direct USB and am back to using an Angelbird card reader, it is much faster and less headache inducing.

Given the files sizes usually involved especially if shooting RAW and/or video - high speed USB card reader - SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-II USB-C reader.

No USB port hardware wear issues over years and several cameras.

I have tested transfers from the camera but otherwise I transfer via a card reader (USB-C to maximum transfer speed)

I have had problems over the years with having 100% of my files transferred with the Nikon Transfer application. So I instead use a file manager to move them to a drive on my workstation and can verify easily that all of the files have been transferred off the memory card.

I would not worry about the hinge or locking mechanism wearing out on the memory slots cover. I have never had a problem with this on any digital camera and have very seldom seen it mentioned in a post on any photo forums.

Another vote for the card reader.

I did have a Prograde card reader fail on me, replaced it with Delkin and so far it works fine.

I agree I would not worry about the door. Even if something did happen it could be easily repaired.

Thanks to all those that replied, it's definitely appreciated! I'm very surprised on the overwhelming "card reader" responses so this was an eye-opener for me :oops:. It looks like I've been voted off the island.

While I still use the card reader when I'm traveling in the motorhome (which I plan to switch to ethernet at some point), my home use is predominately with the ethernet port. It is literally 2 steps...plug it in and turn it on, and a few minutes later the files are on my computer. No software to crash, no door opening/closing (that many had expressed concern about in a different thread but didn't show themselves here), no moving the card back and forth, dragging and dropping, etc.

Granted, the initial setup is not very well explained in the Nikon documentation nor is it clear at all which software to use during that setup (needed for the initial pairing with the computer).

The actual reason I was so surprised is the fact that the Z9 has the ethernet port, and with this forum being a presumably good representation of the larger consumer, prosumer and professional camera community, that not many (none here) are using it. So why then does Nikon engineer the hardware and software functionality and go to great lengths to put it in their flagship? The D6 and other flagships have the RJ45 Ethernet connector, did/does anyone use it with those cameras?

Thanks again everyone, I enjoyed all the responses. Kurt

Curious how many photos you've been transferring at a time? When I was on vacation I was copying to my Macbook, but didn't want to clear off the cf express cards just as a backup / precaution. By the time I passed 1,000 photos it was extremely time consuming to use the Nikon transfer program, it would take many minutes to even set up each time I connected the USB cable, and then quite a while longer to transfer the pictures. I also found the program had a tendency to crash, making me reset the whole process over and over again. I've sworn away from direct USB and am back to using an Angelbird card reader, it is much faster and less headache inducing.
Hi @jcollins . There is no setting up every time. Once the camera is initially paired with the computer (only need to do it once), it automatically transfers each time when it senses the network and has new images to transfer. No software to run, crash, etc. every time you transfer.

My average transfer count is under 500 and with a day trip for pictures it's usually around 1000. I rarely let the count go multiple days (i.e., transferring 2000+ photos). But this is just my baseline, I'm guessing others have a heavier workload. And I do understand that if it's purely transfer time <in seconds and minutes> that you're concerned with, the card reader and/or the USB is probably the better option.

I will have to do a test with a set number of images to get a good idea on what the real-world difference in transfer time would be...ethernet vs. USB vs card reader. Should be interesting.

Thanks to all those that replied, it's definitely appreciated! I'm very surprised on the overwhelming "card reader" responses so this was an eye-opener for me :oops:. It looks like I've been voted off the island.

While I still use the card reader when I'm traveling in the motorhome (which I plan to switch to ethernet at some point), my home use is predominately with the ethernet port. It is literally 2 steps...plug it in and turn it on, and a few minutes later the files are on my computer. No software to crash, no door opening/closing (that many had expressed concern about in a different thread but didn't show themselves here), no moving the card back and forth, dragging and dropping, etc.

Granted, the initial setup is not very well explained in the Nikon documentation nor is it clear at all which software to use during that setup (needed for the initial pairing with the computer).

The actual reason I was so surprised is the fact that the Z9 has the ethernet port, and with this forum being a presumably good representation of the larger consumer, prosumer and professional camera community, that not many (none here) are using it. So why then does Nikon engineer the hardware and software functionality and go to great lengths to put it in their flagship? The D6 and other flagships have the RJ45 Ethernet connector, did/does anyone use it with those cameras?

Thanks again everyone, I enjoyed all the responses. Kurt

I have never met anyone who uses the ethernet port for this purpose. Make that one person (you.)

Card reader or USB here.

Given the files sizes usually involved especially if shooting RAW and/or video - high speed USB card reader - SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-II USB-C reader.

No USB port hardware wear issues over years and several cameras.
Makes sense Phil. I can see where large amounts of data could become troublesome with a slower transfer method.

My USB wear experience/comment is mostly regarding my cell phone use over the years. I've damaged a few, as has the wife, by simply bumping or pulling the charge cord sideways accidentally, center console in the car or kitchen counter, etc. Since I've been a card reader guy with my cameras for quite some time before switching to Ethernet, I have no real experience with damaged ports on cameras...I just generalized, maybe erroneously, my cell charging to my camera cord.

Thanks much for the info/input!

I transfer via a card reader (USB-C to maximum transfer speed)
Hi Rich. Makes total sense, hard to argue against speed! Ethernet speed sits somewhere in the middle of the slower WiFi transfer and the much faster card reader/USB methods.

Thanks for your info!

Card reader here too - plus card readers make it easy to do firmware updates (technically I guess you can do it with snap bridge too, but to me popping the file on the card and popping that card into the camera is easiest).

Hi Steve. You caught me on that one, wasn't even thinking about firmware updates.

I guess I should have clarified in my original post that I'm not against using the card reader as I've done it for many years. Rather, I'm just looking for easier, better, more efficient ways of accomplishing my end goals in the workflow...with file transfers just being one of the many.

We're always going to have situations when the door must swing open and the cards removed/replaced. But researching and/or considering ways to minimizing those frequent mechanical interactions (door latch, door, card sliding onto the pins, etc.) on a device that gives us so many other nonobtrusive methods seems to be a constructive exercise, even if the end result is many stick with the old tried and true...the card reader.

The Z9 is my first flagship-level camera so I'm just trying to squeeze out every bit of its technology to my benefit :).

As always, I do appreciate your experience and wisdom!

Hi Rich. Makes total sense, hard to argue against speed! Ethernet speed sits somewhere in the middle of the slower WiFi transfer and the much faster card reader/USB methods.

Thanks for your info!
I use Macs and i transfer from the card to my internal SSD with CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner). Very fast. I copy all the cards to my download folder and the import them into LR (or you could import them to Photo Mechanics, Bridge, ...) Much faster than importing from the card to LR, ...

I’ve been using the Z9 now for well over a year, quite a few birding trips. I have been very happy with using the USB C port to transfer files daily to my IPad, then unplug from the IPad and plug that end into the IPad 18w charger and charge the camera battery. When I get home, I use a card reader to transfer many thousands of photos to my Mac. That USB C port has been wonderful for me. I put camera and IPad next to each other on a bed. When complete, pick the camera up and usually lay it on the floor next to the charger. Have never come close to accidentally kicking or pulling on the cable. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think that should really be a concern.

Mike

Back