If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cchuck

ChuckCarlson
Supporting Member
Marketplace
AWPE3-03-22-22-WRL.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
PLCN-Eye.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
I cropped the eye from the 21Mb jpg to show the iris detail, which surprised me. I could see the focus spot on what I thought was the eye but couldn't really tell if the eye was open.

Last edited:
When eye detection works it's downright magical. Unfortunately it isn't reliable. I've currently got animal detection assigned to a Fn button(via recall) as a secondary/optional function. If I miss focus on a subject I can forgive myself. If I turn control over to the camera and it misses I'm not as forgiving. And since I shoot a lot from a boat that could get very expensive :mad:

Very nice image. But how did you know it was 85 Lbs? How much does a single pelican weigh?
I think there were 6 of them, I counted beaks/tails, and then walked to another perspective to confirm. American White Pelicans weigh 14 lbs.+ each, per Sibley Bird Guide, and I rounded up because they looked well-fed.:)

When eye detection works it's downright magical. Unfortunately it isn't reliable. I've currently got animal detection assigned to a Fn button(via recall) as a secondary/optional function. If I miss focus on a subject I can forgive myself. If I turn control over to the camera and it misses I'm not as forgiving. And since I shoot a lot from a boat that could get very expensive :mad:
Agreed. I'm newer to eye detection/tracking and am amazed that it works as well as it does. As a back-up, I use Steve's suggestion of assigning RSF to a Fn button, reverting my Z9 back to the focus mode I used with my D500.

Now, Dan, the rules are that all hands, feet and cameras must remain on the boat! šŸ˜‰