Z9 firmware update problems

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi all , I have been trying to download the newest firmware update for my Z9 from the Nikon download center. Using a Mac and when I click on the update a little box comes up that says Unable to expand Z 9 0410 bin it is in an unsupported format. I have downloaded the other versions with no problems not really sure what to do . Thanks for any help y’all can give me.

The .bin file you downloaded is the actual firmware package (meaning that you don't need to open it on your mac to unpack as it was previously). You can just copy that file directly to your card, pop it into your Z9 and you're good to intiate the firmware upgrade.

I am having a problem copying the 4.1 update to the card. I am using windows and when I attempt the copy I get a window that says 'Are you sure you want to copy the file without its properties? The file F-Z9-V410W has properties that can't be copied to the new location.' Not sure what to do to resolve this? I would appreciate any assistance with this issue. Thanks. Jerry

I am having a problem copying the 4.1 update to the card. I am using windows and when I attempt the copy I get a window that says 'Are you sure you want to copy the file without its properties? The file F-Z9-V410W has properties that can't be copied to the new location.' Not sure what to do to resolve this? I would appreciate any assistance with this issue. Thanks. Jerry
The procedure on Windows is bound to be little different indeed.

Is that "F-Z9-V410W" file an executable (.exe)? If so, you need to open it on your computer first. It'll then unpack and write the actual firmware file (called "Z9Update" or something similar). That's the one you then have to copy over on to the card and upgrade with.

In windows double click (extract) F-Z9-V410W. It will create a new folder named Z9Update with the bin file Z-9_0410.bin This is the file you copy to the root of your memory card.

Z9_Exec_File.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z9_bin_file.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The procedure on Windows is bound to be little different indeed.

Is that "F-Z9-V410W" file an executable (.exe)? If so, you need to open it on your computer first. It'll then unpack and write the actual firmware file (called "Z9Update" or something similar). That's the one you then have to copy over on to the card and upgrade with.
Thanks for that. I now notice that the initial window indicates the .exe file has been downloaded but when I attempt to copy the file it then doesn't appear to have the .exe designation??

thanks Midway. That is what I have done with the previous firmware updates, but for some reason that isn't happening with this update.

If you have done previous updates it won't create a new Z9Update Folder in Windows, the Z_9_0410.bin file will go in the existing folder and you just need to copy the latest and correct bin file. Is it not extracting to the existing folder?

The .bin file you downloaded is the actual firmware package (meaning that you don't need to open it on your mac to unpack as it was previously). You can just copy that file directly to your card, pop it into your Z9 and you're good to intiate the firmware upgrade.
I am having the same problem that Scooter had last Oct, that you resolved for him. How do I "just copy that file directly to your card, pop it into your Z9 and you're good to intiate the firmware upgrade?" The downloaded file from Nikon is in my MacBook Download folder, but I don't know how to get it onto the card. thanks, Ray

I am having the same problem that Scooter had last Oct, that you resolved for him. How do I "just copy that file directly to your card, pop it into your Z9 and you're good to intiate the firmware upgrade?" The downloaded file from Nikon is in my MacBook Download folder, but I don't know how to get it onto the card. thanks, Ray
Ray you need to move it using Finder on the CFe card. For that you need a CFe card reader, or you can try using Snapbridge to do it wirelessly

Back