Z9 firmware update

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Bruce

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Tried downloading Z9 firmware. get message that can't be expanded because it is in unsupported format. What am I doing wrong? Has always worked in past.

Should already be a bin file, per the instructions on nikons website.

from their website https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/516.html

1. Download the following firmware file to your computer.
    Please make sure you have the downloaded firmware file on your computer.
    • Z_9_0500.bin (the camera firmware)
  2. Using a card reader, copy “Z_9_0500.bin” to a memory card that has been formatted in the camera.
    Note: Be sure to copy the firmware to the root (top-most) directory of the memory card. The camera will not recognize the new firmware if it is placed in a folder under the root directory.
  3. Insert the memory card into Slot 1 on the camera and turn the camera on.
  4. Select [Firmware version] in the [SETUP MENU] and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update.
  5. Once the update is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
  6. Confirm that the firmware has been updated to the new version.

Tried downloading Z9 firmware. get message that can't be expanded because it is in unsupported format. What am I doing wrong? Has always worked in past.

@Steve has thorough firmware update guidance in the thread below.

You gotta watch my new video :)
To answer your question though, you only need to copy the BIN file Nikon gives you to your memory card -just drag and drop; there's nothing to "open" for your computer.

This part of the video talks about it:

Steve thanks for this. My problem is my z9 is updated to 5.0 but the GNSS is still on FW 0.00? I’ve tried running the upgrade a second time but still says G is 0.00? Any ideas or help would be appreciated ? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5117.jpeg
    IMG_5117.jpeg
    576.5 KB · Views: 22
Steve thanks for this. My problem is my z9 is updated to 5.0 but the GNSS is still on FW 0.00? I’ve tried running the upgrade a second time but still says G is 0.00? Any ideas or help would be appreciated ? Thanks
That is really weird. I wonder if anyone else had 0.00 for the FW - I'm sure some will chime in. This might have to go to Nikon.

Just for kicks, try it without the lens attached. I don't think it'll make any difference, nothing else is coming to mind.

Oh wait, one more idea - maybe backup your settings using the Save Load Settings menu, reset the camera, and see if the FW is still showing 0.00 and / or if it will take the update. After the update, reload your settings.

OK, now I'm out of ideas :) I think :)

@Richard Murray Does the second update appear to complete normally? Do you see the progress bar as the update is installed? If so, I wonder if there might be a problem with the GNSS module. If what Steve mentioned doesn't help a call to Nikon is in order, I think.

@JAJohnson @Ad Astra @Steve thanks so much for the suggestions chaps. Iv tried all of them and I still get a "failed update" message and the update crashes midway through. Sadly I think this one is going to have to be sorted by Nikon. I am not sure why my Z9 has done this (im pretty meticulous when im doing updates etc). For what it's worth I will keep you guys posted on how I progress. FYI I shoot pro soccer and had an evening match last night and the camera worked just fine on FW5.0 even with this 'glitch' in the background. Thanks again for the suggestions

@JAJohnson @Ad Astra @Steve thanks so much for the suggestions chaps. Iv tried all of them and I still get a "failed update" message and the update crashes midway through. Sadly I think this one is going to have to be sorted by Nikon. I am not sure why my Z9 has done this (im pretty meticulous when im doing updates etc). For what it's worth I will keep you guys posted on how I progress. FYI I shoot pro soccer and had an evening match last night and the camera worked just fine on FW5.0 even with this 'glitch' in the background. Thanks again for the suggestions
I hope you can get it resolved ASAP!

You gotta watch my new video :)
To answer your question though, you only need to copy the BIN file Nikon gives you to your memory card -just drag and drop; there's nothing to "open" for your computer.

This part of the video talks about it:

Awesome video ! I would have got stuck at the same point as this person plus I wouldn’t have even done the second update thing. This video is a must need watch for down loading the new update. That you Steve !

Back