Z9 focusing issues since firmware 5.0 update.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'll apologise for the long post but please bear with. Nature photography is something I do rarely as I'm a motorsport photographer but I do the occasional wildlife and aviation stuff. Prior to firmware 5.0 my Z9 was running perfect, my images were pin sharp and the keeper rate high. After the firmware update I noticed something not quite right and at first I put it down to me being off but a recent visit to a hide to photograph Kingfishers things became apparent the camera wasn't performing as it did before. I was using the focus tracking, the box was always on the eye, even showing on the eye during playback but after viewing the images at home lots and lots were focused more to the front and not on the eye. So I decided to experiment at home and the following equipment was used -

Manfrotto 057 tripod with Benro GH2C gimball head - very solid and sturdy
Nikon AF-S 400mm f/2.8E FL (used in the hide)
Nikon AF-S 500mm f/4E FL
Nikon Z70-200 f/2.8S

For the images I used every focus area the camera has, those that use tracking and those that do not. The shutter speed was 1/2000 sec and I shot the lenses wide open with the focus point always on the eye. I used a 10 sec timer to release the shutter and tried VR both on and off. As I said, I took lots and lots of images documenting each too. What I found was when tracking was switched off, the images were pin sharp on the eye and all the lenses never missed a beat. Put tracking back on and the eye was out of focus but the nose was sharp on the subject. Now prior to firmware 5.0, the images I was getting doing motorsport were fantastic. My main lens is my 400mm f/2.8, it's basically stuck on the Z9 unless on the rare occasion I used the 500mm. The Z70-200 is always on my Z8 as I carry that round on a BlackRapid harness. I have contacted Nikon UK about the issue and they have yet to get back to me. I have heard of some Z9 owners having the same issue and some re-installing older firmware or putting 5.0 back in again, which some say clears the issue. It's really puzzling as to what's going on but something clearly is not right and it's not the lenses, hence why I tried 3 different ones. Anyone have any thoughts or have you suffered the same problem and then resolved it? Thanks for taking the time to read this too.

I think there is something funny about the Z system subject detection and have posted about it here and elsewhere several times in the past. It didn't really happen here - a testimony to the people who post here - but on other forums I took a lot of abuse from people saying I was incompetent or a "fanboy" of some other brand or a troll or whatever else for saying something isn't perfect with the system - in addition to plenty of responses from people saying they have experienced the same things. Others I've seen post about this have gotten the same kind of response.

At the outset, one potentially helpful comment: some users have reported that a factory reset has helped with this, and I found that a factory reset of my Z8 did help a bit even if it didn't alleviate the problem altogether.

Part of the problem is that the issue isn't consistent and I think it can be subtle enough that when combined with the inconsistency you can go a while without noticing it but when you notice it and start testing it becomes apparent. For reference, I have not used a Z9 but have seen this on my Z8. I've seen it with the following lenses:

70-180
70-200 S
24-120 S
85 1.8 S
40 f2
180-600
500pf

The issue is, just as you describe, that when using a "dumb" focus mode like single point the focus extremely consistently be just where you put the point. If you get the point on the right spot, then leaving a little room for the fact that nothing is perfect you will find that the focus is where that point was very consistently. This includes both images where you review them right away and know from your own firsthand experience where the focus point was and images that you review after in camera or in NX studio. In other words, while you will see people say that the focus point the system records in the file is not always accurate to what the system was actually doing, if you use a "dumb" focus mode it is quite consistent.

It's when you use subject detection that you will see the focus point recorded in the file being somewhere other than where the focus actually was. For several years going back to my Z7ii and then with the Z8 I always took for granted that what people were saying about this was correct: it was just a minor problem with the reporting/recording of the focus point rather than with the focus itself. After first noticing this issue and doing thousand of test shots last November and increasing that possibly to over 10,000 test shots when I again dug into this extensively in the spring of this year I think the reality is actually that the focus point recorded is in fact the focus point being used - which frankly makes a lot more sense to me from a software standpoint - but that the subject detection system doesn't always focus accurately.

I don't think it's the AF system itself. I think it's something with the subject detection component, which I have come to understand as being separate from the AF system. Think of it like this: when you use single point AF you move the little box around and tell the AF system what to focus on. The camera's AF system then focuses on whatever is under that point. The subject detection system is a software algorithm that is separate from this. It acts as a surrogate or an agent for the user by analyzing the image feed and then basically moving the AF point around as if it were the human user, the difference of course being how quickly the algorithm can react and move the point. All the AF system, strictly speaking, is ever doing is focusing on whatever is under the point it is given. The subject detection system is a software algorithm that places the point.

I have done testing on this far more frequently with people than with animals, but what I think is happening is that the subject detection software algorithm is detecting the subject and putting the point on them in the display very well - it is amazing how well it finds subject and stays there! - but it is sometimes telling the AF system to focus in a slightly different place. Crucially, with human beings, I have observed (and on other forums another very technical user put together a whole testing setup and found similar results) that when it misses it usually misses with focus being on the wrong eye. For example, in this image (one of the thousands of tests I did) you can se that the "eye-detect" has claimed it is focusing on the front eye, but it is clearly missed while the rear eye is nice and sharp. The system focused on the rear eye but told us it was focused on the front - and this is not only what is reported - I reviewed all of these one at a time immediately after taking them, including making several videos of the process so that we can go back and review what the system actually did report when taking the photo.

AF1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I wasn't smart enough to figure this out, but what the user Horshack on DPReview (known as snapsy on FM) found was that this didn't really happen with head on shots, where the subject was parallel to the plane of the lens, but when they were slightly turned to the side is when it would happen. I did a lot of testing of this as we discussed and was able to verify that it does happen mostly when the subject is turned at an angle (though I did see it a few times when head on) and it didn't matter which eye was the real target. In other words, if the real target was the front eye, it would frequently focus on the rear one, but if the real target was on the rear eye, it would frequently focus on the front eye. This is very significant because one of the things people tend to suggest in troubleshooting things like this is that the Z AF system has closest subject priority and so perhaps it is sometimes missing when something closer comes under the AF point - but what we can see here is that the system will miss in either direction in this way, sometimes coming to a closer subject, sometimes going to a more distant one.

This has led me to believe that what may be happening is that the system is sometimes wavering between which of its detected subjects it wants to focus on. In its computational cycles it may even be wavering more quickly than the refresh rate of the EVF, and so it might be telling the AF system to move to a different subject and then back again more quickly than the EVF or rear screen can tell the user.

This could very well be what is happening sometimes even with wildlife, as I think we have all seen the subject detection system identify a body or a beak or a wing as a full on bird or even as an eye at one point or another. If it sees these other parts of the creature as a full on subject, it could be jumping to them in this way.

Another thing I tried in all of this was to use subject detection in AF-S only, and that was an improvement. This suggests to me that my theory may be on the right track because it would mean that when the subject detection system identifies and reports its target for the first time it is actually focusing on what it says it is, but in AF-C when it can change its target that this is where the problem arises.

I also found that this problem gets much, much worse as the light decreases. This was actually my main point of interest this spring as I was photographing a few more darkly lit events and was trying to sort out how to get more reliable performance in these situations. I ultimately concluded that in lower light the system becomes extremely unreliable. Nikon does say something to this effect in the manual, but I was surprised at just what light level this is happening in. I basically found that anything at or below around 5.5-6 EV gave extremely unreliable results with "eye-AF" but that single point would still function well. However, it still does make this sort of error even in every good light - just less frequently. Also, obviously the aperture matters a lot. In any kind of light, shooting at 1.8 was far more reliable than shooting at 2.8 or 4.

Note that I tried using small custom AF boxes to limit the subjects the system would consider, but this did not improve things much.

Another not entirely related but perhaps of interest thing I learned in all of this - and this was more or less suggested to me by Thom Hogan of all people, so there's a good deal of weight to it - is that TTL flash in AF-C mode can cause problems. Trying to photograph people walking with TTL resulted in an >80% miss rate, almost as if the AF-C system is briefly "pausing" its operation when the pre-flash is fired or something and so its a little out of focus when the main flash fires. This should all happen pretty fast, so I'm not entirely sure on the logic, but suffice it to say that those same photos in manual mode resulted in everything working well. So as I was testing and preparing and shooting with subject detect and TTL flash I was getting almost nothing in focus at all, but shifting to dynamic area mode with manual flash I got most shots in focus.

What does all of this mean in practice? For both wildlife and human beings I have started working to "relearn" the old fashioned methods from the days of DSLRs and to use single point or dynamic area modes whenever I can and to rely on subject detect only when shooting something that I just can't do on my own, or that I think I'll get more reliably from the subject detect. So, for this photo I used single point:
20240615-DSC_8742_01-3.jpg

While for this one I used subject detect:
20240614-DSC_3485-Enhanced-NR.jpg

There is no issues with the AF system and FW 5.0

There can be issues with the updates cause issues. Whether it's reminisce of the update files or some type of odd corruption for the lack of a better term.

The fix for this is pretty simple factory reset the camera reinstall the firmware 5.0 and set up the camera again from scratch don't restore a saved settings file.

Admittedly I did not read the entire post as it was pretty long but if you've already done this then you could try reinstalling firmware 4.10 after resetting the camera again and then install firmware 5.0. but resetting the camera and reinstalling the firmware fixes these issues after firmware updates almost every single time

I think there is something funny about the Z system subject detection and have posted about it here and elsewhere several times in the past. It didn't really happen here - a testimony to the people who post here - but on other forums I took a lot of abuse from people saying I was incompetent or a "fanboy" of some other brand or a troll or whatever else for saying something isn't perfect with the system - in addition to plenty of responses from people saying they have experienced the same things. Others I've seen post about this have gotten the same kind of response.

At the outset, one potentially helpful comment: some users have reported that a factory reset has helped with this, and I found that a factory reset of my Z8 did help a bit even if it didn't alleviate the problem altogether.

Part of the problem is that the issue isn't consistent and I think it can be subtle enough that when combined with the inconsistency you can go a while without noticing it but when you notice it and start testing it becomes apparent. For reference, I have not used a Z9 but have seen this on my Z8. I've seen it with the following lenses:

70-180
70-200 S
24-120 S
85 1.8 S
40 f2
180-600
500pf

The issue is, just as you describe, that when using a "dumb" focus mode like single point the focus extremely consistently be just where you put the point. If you get the point on the right spot, then leaving a little room for the fact that nothing is perfect you will find that the focus is where that point was very consistently. This includes both images where you review them right away and know from your own firsthand experience where the focus point was and images that you review after in camera or in NX studio. In other words, while you will see people say that the focus point the system records in the file is not always accurate to what the system was actually doing, if you use a "dumb" focus mode it is quite consistent.

It's when you use subject detection that you will see the focus point recorded in the file being somewhere other than where the focus actually was. For several years going back to my Z7ii and then with the Z8 I always took for granted that what people were saying about this was correct: it was just a minor problem with the reporting/recording of the focus point rather than with the focus itself. After first noticing this issue and doing thousand of test shots last November and increasing that possibly to over 10,000 test shots when I again dug into this extensively in the spring of this year I think the reality is actually that the focus point recorded is in fact the focus point being used - which frankly makes a lot more sense to me from a software standpoint - but that the subject detection system doesn't always focus accurately.

I don't think it's the AF system itself. I think it's something with the subject detection component, which I have come to understand as being separate from the AF system. Think of it like this: when you use single point AF you move the little box around and tell the AF system what to focus on. The camera's AF system then focuses on whatever is under that point. The subject detection system is a software algorithm that is separate from this. It acts as a surrogate or an agent for the user by analyzing the image feed and then basically moving the AF point around as if it were the human user, the difference of course being how quickly the algorithm can react and move the point. All the AF system, strictly speaking, is ever doing is focusing on whatever is under the point it is given. The subject detection system is a software algorithm that places the point.

I have done testing on this far more frequently with people than with animals, but what I think is happening is that the subject detection software algorithm is detecting the subject and putting the point on them in the display very well - it is amazing how well it finds subject and stays there! - but it is sometimes telling the AF system to focus in a slightly different place. Crucially, with human beings, I have observed (and on other forums another very technical user put together a whole testing setup and found similar results) that when it misses it usually misses with focus being on the wrong eye. For example, in this image (one of the thousands of tests I did) you can se that the "eye-detect" has claimed it is focusing on the front eye, but it is clearly missed while the rear eye is nice and sharp. The system focused on the rear eye but told us it was focused on the front - and this is not only what is reported - I reviewed all of these one at a time immediately after taking them, including making several videos of the process so that we can go back and review what the system actually did report when taking the photo.

View attachment 91439

I wasn't smart enough to figure this out, but what the user Horshack on DPReview (known as snapsy on FM) found was that this didn't really happen with head on shots, where the subject was parallel to the plane of the lens, but when they were slightly turned to the side is when it would happen. I did a lot of testing of this as we discussed and was able to verify that it does happen mostly when the subject is turned at an angle (though I did see it a few times when head on) and it didn't matter which eye was the real target. In other words, if the real target was the front eye, it would frequently focus on the rear one, but if the real target was on the rear eye, it would frequently focus on the front eye. This is very significant because one of the things people tend to suggest in troubleshooting things like this is that the Z AF system has closest subject priority and so perhaps it is sometimes missing when something closer comes under the AF point - but what we can see here is that the system will miss in either direction in this way, sometimes coming to a closer subject, sometimes going to a more distant one.

This has led me to believe that what may be happening is that the system is sometimes wavering between which of its detected subjects it wants to focus on. In its computational cycles it may even be wavering more quickly than the refresh rate of the EVF, and so it might be telling the AF system to move to a different subject and then back again more quickly than the EVF or rear screen can tell the user.

This could very well be what is happening sometimes even with wildlife, as I think we have all seen the subject detection system identify a body or a beak or a wing as a full on bird or even as an eye at one point or another. If it sees these other parts of the creature as a full on subject, it could be jumping to them in this way.

Another thing I tried in all of this was to use subject detection in AF-S only, and that was an improvement. This suggests to me that my theory may be on the right track because it would mean that when the subject detection system identifies and reports its target for the first time it is actually focusing on what it says it is, but in AF-C when it can change its target that this is where the problem arises.

I also found that this problem gets much, much worse as the light decreases. This was actually my main point of interest this spring as I was photographing a few more darkly lit events and was trying to sort out how to get more reliable performance in these situations. I ultimately concluded that in lower light the system becomes extremely unreliable. Nikon does say something to this effect in the manual, but I was surprised at just what light level this is happening in. I basically found that anything at or below around 5.5-6 EV gave extremely unreliable results with "eye-AF" but that single point would still function well. However, it still does make this sort of error even in every good light - just less frequently. Also, obviously the aperture matters a lot. In any kind of light, shooting at 1.8 was far more reliable than shooting at 2.8 or 4.

Note that I tried using small custom AF boxes to limit the subjects the system would consider, but this did not improve things much.

Another not entirely related but perhaps of interest thing I learned in all of this - and this was more or less suggested to me by Thom Hogan of all people, so there's a good deal of weight to it - is that TTL flash in AF-C mode can cause problems. Trying to photograph people walking with TTL resulted in an >80% miss rate, almost as if the AF-C system is briefly "pausing" its operation when the pre-flash is fired or something and so its a little out of focus when the main flash fires. This should all happen pretty fast, so I'm not entirely sure on the logic, but suffice it to say that those same photos in manual mode resulted in everything working well. So as I was testing and preparing and shooting with subject detect and TTL flash I was getting almost nothing in focus at all, but shifting to dynamic area mode with manual flash I got most shots in focus.

What does all of this mean in practice? For both wildlife and human beings I have started working to "relearn" the old fashioned methods from the days of DSLRs and to use single point or dynamic area modes whenever I can and to rely on subject detect only when shooting something that I just can't do on my own, or that I think I'll get more reliably from the subject detect. So, for this photo I used single point:
View attachment 91448

While for this one I used subject detect:
View attachment 91449
Shane, thanks for posting such a detailed description of this issue. What you’ve reported shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand. Most of my photos are birds (in flight and perched), small mammals, flora, and the occasional landscape with my Z9 & Z8. I also occasionally shoot family / school events with my Z8 & Zf. Upon reading your post, I took a quick look at a few of my human / bird “portraits“ where I used eye detection. I don’t see the problem you described, but that doesn’t mean I’ve not had it. I’ll be on the lookout for this in my upcoming outings.

70-180
70-200 S
24-120 S
85 1.8 S
40 f2
180-600
500pf

So are you saying that a reset fixed your issues, or are you still experiencing them? In my experience, compared to the Canon and Sony cameras I've owned/used, the Nikon AF of the Z8 is less reliable in AF-C on people and animals. It doesn't detect as quickly, nor is the AF as "sticky" and it frequently displays the issues you describe where it is less stable, bouncing around between eye detect, focusing on the body, wing, etc. It's not as though the eye is becoming obscured and the AF system needs to look for another AF point. Changing AF settings does not seem to affect this behavior appreciably. In a scenario where I place a mannequin or facsimile in a room, aim the camera at the subject and press the AF using SD, it is astounding to watch the AF point jump around between eye detect, a larger box on the face, nose, etc. This occurs in AF-S or AF-C irrespective of camera movement, changes in light, etc.

So are you saying that a reset fixed your issues, or are you still experiencing them? In my experience, compared to the Canon and Sony cameras I've owned/used, the Nikon AF of the Z8 is less reliable in AF-C on people and animals. It doesn't detect as quickly, nor is the AF as "sticky" and it frequently displays the issues you describe where it is less stable, bouncing around between eye detect, focusing on the body, wing, etc. It's not as though the eye is becoming obscured and the AF system needs to look for another AF point. Changing AF settings does not seem to affect this behavior appreciably. In a scenario where I place a mannequin or facsimile in a room, aim the camera at the subject and press the AF using SD, it is astounding to watch the AF point jump around between eye detect, a larger box on the face, nose, etc. This occurs in AF-S or AF-C irrespective of camera movement, changes in light, etc.
The reset (which I attempted twice if I recall) made a noticeable improvement but did not entirely resolve these behaviors. Before the reset I was getting results worse than my old z7ii. My hit rate with subject detect in low light (EV 4.5 - 6 or so) was something like 30%. After the reset, I'd say in those same conditions success rates are closer to 60-70%, which feels about like what I remember with the z7ii but not what I'd hope for from a camera of this caliber.

Before switching to Nikon, I had briefly owned one of Canon's lowest tier models - the M50 - and while the lens selection was so poor that in part it prompted the switch, I remember the focus even on that camera to being much more consistent than anything I've had on the much more expensive Z cameras, though of course I still use them so it's not like I'm trying to be overly critical or anything.

The reset (which I attempted twice if I recall) made a noticeable improvement but did not entirely resolve these behaviors. Before the reset I was getting results worse than my old z7ii. My hit rate with subject detect in low light (EV 4.5 - 6 or so) was something like 30%. After the reset, I'd say in those same conditions success rates are closer to 60-70%, which feels about like what I remember with the z7ii but not what I'd hope for from a camera of this caliber.

Before switching to Nikon, I had briefly owned one of Canon's lowest tier models - the M50 - and while the lens selection was so poor that in part it prompted the switch, I remember the focus even on that camera to being much more consistent than anything I've had on the much more expensive Z cameras, though of course I still use them so it's not like I'm trying to be overly critical or anything.
Do you notice the behavior that I describe with SD on the z8? Again, one can point the camera at a static, nearby subject, in constant light, and the AF will ping pong around to different parts continuously rather than finding the eye and sticking to it. It's what I describe as ADHD eye detect.

Do you notice the behavior that I describe with SD on the z8? Again, one can point the camera at a static, nearby subject, in constant light, and the AF will ping pong around to different parts continuously rather than finding the eye and sticking to it. It's what I describe as ADHD eye detect.
I don't have that issue with my z9, and haven't ever, except on some long necked birds. Just as a data point.

Occasionally it will bounce around like this, but generally not. It does usually bounce around a bit but not as extreme as you note, unless I misunderstand you. You can see some examples of how the subject detection looks in action for me (in relatively low light as that is what I was demonstrating in these examples) here:

and for motion here (for this one you may want to skip the beginning as I was doing a few things to verify metering and such and it's boring:

Z9 focus tracking certainly has room to improve even after 5.0. Probably most of us shoot with Focus+Release as AF-C priority selection. In this mode the first shot in a burst is guaranteed focus while the remainder gets the release priority irrespective of focus. Wonder if some of the scenarios described above will improve if AF-C priority is changed to Focus only, thereby asking the camera to give priority on focus for all shots in a burst. It is very likely that frame rate will slow down as a result.

I've noticed similar behavior to what's described in the OP. I shoot a lot of BIF so wasn't really picking up on this issue. I was chalking up the variability to other factors. But recently I shot some relatively static subjects and only about 10 percent of the frames from each burst were critically sharp. This even when the AF indicated focus locked on the eye of a subject during the burst. Focus was only a fraction off in most of them but enough so to be noticeable when comparing shots from the same burst sequence. I'll try the reset suggestion above and see if it makes a difference.

Z9 focus tracking certainly has room to improve even after 5.0. Probably most of us shoot with Focus+Release as AF-C priority selection. In this mode the first shot in a burst is guaranteed focus while the remainder gets the release priority irrespective of focus. Wonder if some of the scenarios described above will improve if AF-C priority is changed to Focus only, thereby asking the camera to give priority on focus for all shots in a burst. It is very likely that frame rate will slow down as a result.
Focus priority is slightly better than useless. As long as anything is in focus the camera will fire. So nose vs eye vs something in the BG may still be what is in focus when the priority is satisfied and the camera fires a shot. Same problem existed with DSLRs. At first glance it seems like a great feature but in practice not so much.

In all of my many tests, I explored this. My findings were that this didn't help, and it makes sense when you remember that the problem here isn't the system struggling to acquire focus, but it's the system reporting that it does have focus on a desired target when it actually has focus on something else altogether.

Occasionally it will bounce around like this, but generally not. It does usually bounce around a bit but not as extreme as you note, unless I misunderstand you. You can see some examples of how the subject detection looks in action for me (in relatively low light as that is what I was demonstrating in these examples) here:

and for motion here (for this one you may want to skip the beginning as I was doing a few things to verify metering and such and it's boring:

Let me illustrate the phenomena with this short clip. As I am traveling and don’t have the ability to capture a feed, the iPhone had to substitute and my apologies for the poor quality. The camera was mounted on a tripod and aimed at the target with WA small, SD. In the first segment one can clearly see the white SD boxes jumping from eye to eye. In segment 2, the AF-C is activated and the AF confirmed with the green boxes, though the same behavior occurs. Segment 3 is Auto area and the SD jumps all around from the eyes to the right chin. This is the ADHD subject detect phenomenon I encounter with people and the same thing occurs when I’m shooting BIF though SD jumps off the eye to a larger box on the body, wing, back again, etc.

Let me illustrate the phenomena with this short clip. As I am traveling and don’t have the ability to capture a feed, the iPhone had to substitute and my apologies for the poor quality. The camera was mounted on a tripod and aimed at the target with WA small, SD. In the first segment one can clearly see the white SD boxes jumping from eye to eye. In segment 2, the AF-C is activated and the AF confirmed with the green boxes, though the same behavior occurs. Segment 3 is Auto area and the SD jumps all around from the eyes to the right chin. This is the ADHD subject detect phenomenon I encounter with people and the same thing occurs when I’m shooting BIF though SD jumps off the eye to a larger box on the body, wing, back again, etc.

I can't claim I've never seen my Z8 do this... but it's does so only very, very rarely and only in much lower light than you have based on your exposure. This is extremely erratic and not consistent at all with what I have really ever seen.

Of course, that's what some people said about the behavior I demonstrated!

In the context of everything I've observed and all the user reports I've read in various discussions about this your video deepens my suspicion that there are different "phenotypes" of Z8 (and possibly Z9) out there. This could also be suggested by the curious case of the green cast issue that firmware 2.01 fixed, where some Z8s would consistently have a green cast over photos and others didn't. I am no expert in the engineering of these cameras, but one explanation for this kind of behavior that sometimes shows up in other forms of electronics is when a manufacturer substitutes IC chips in different production runs of a product due to supply shortfalls or unofficial revisions. Especially given the chip shortage that was a significant issue over the past few years it really makes me wonder. There are just too many wildly different performance characteristics out there with features that really shouldn't be impacted by user skill - e.g., automatic eye focus mounted on a tripod.

Another possibility that just occurs to me now is that these different results behaviors could be caused by the way the subject detection system responds to different types of lights, especially different cycle frequencies of the LED lights that are increasingly ubiquitous. Hmmm.

One other thought: if you haven't, try turning off your touch operation on the rear screen and as a long shot see if maybe the screen has some kind of residue or something on it that's trying to change focus at times.

I can't claim I've never seen my Z8 do this... but it's does so only very, very rarely and only in much lower light than you have based on your exposure. This is extremely erratic and not consistent at all with what I have really ever seen.

Of course, that's what some people said about the behavior I demonstrated!

In the context of everything I've observed and all the user reports I've read in various discussions about this your video deepens my suspicion that there are different "phenotypes" of Z8 (and possibly Z9) out there. This could also be suggested by the curious case of the green cast issue that firmware 2.01 fixed, where some Z8s would consistently have a green cast over photos and others didn't. I am no expert in the engineering of these cameras, but one explanation for this kind of behavior that sometimes shows up in other forms of electronics is when a manufacturer substitutes IC chips in different production runs of a product due to supply shortfalls or unofficial revisions. Especially given the chip shortage that was a significant issue over the past few years it really makes me wonder. There are just too many wildly different performance characteristics out there with features that really shouldn't be impacted by user skill - e.g., automatic eye focus mounted on a tripod.

Another possibility that just occurs to me now is that these different results behaviors could be caused by the way the subject detection system responds to different types of lights, especially different cycle frequencies of the LED lights that are increasingly ubiquitous. Hmmm.

One other thought: if you haven't, try turning off your touch operation on the rear screen and as a long shot see if maybe the screen has some kind of residue or something on it that's trying to change focus at times.
It would be easier to attribute to a defective body or lens though this same behavior occurs with both Z8 bodies, all lenses, under all lighting conditions, and with the EVF or LCD. This erratic, ADHD, SD AF behavior began with the FW release 2.0 and persists. While this illustration with a mannequin like subject is extreme, it is representative of the behavior which occurs with humans and BIF (the later where the SD switches rapidly back and forth to larger boxes on the wing, side, etc.). Interestingly, it doesn't occur with vehicles, airplanes, etc. The color casts experienced by some users is a challenging issue as one has to account for the effects of software interpretation of the image.

I think I've definitely experienced this (though as someone with zero brain for engineering or testing just assumed the low keeper rate in some situations including 'static' subjects had to do with me). I'll do the reset thing and see if in general usage I detect a change (re that engineering brain thing, I won't be doing any 'testing' :) ). Think it worth noting that the discussion tone in this thread is just great -- simple discussion about how one bit of technology is behaving.

Thank you so much for the very detailed responses and I'm going to do a factory reset and then reinstall firmware 5.0. I can 100% get the focus moving to the front eye when focusing on the rear and vice versa as that appear exactly what is happening with my subject. Because I'm always shooting moving cars or bikes, this issue has never raised it's head until I went to do some wildlife. I'm feeling a bit more positive now and ready to get back into action this weekend.

Wow, that's something that I haven't observed on my Z9, not at least to that extent that you are seeing. I just did some quick tests with a stuffed animal (cat), using my Z9 with FW 5.0 and Z180-600mm lens, while hand-holding the combo. I do a lot of BIF photography in challenging conditions, and I am aware of not so stellar focus tracking of Z9. I mostly use Auto-AF and 3D for bird tracking with SD on. However, the current test is performed on a static animal, on my outside deck and from a distance of about 9 meters. Yes, I did see some occasional focus shift from one eye to the other but not to the extent that you saw. The shift is more pronounced in Auto-AF mode than 3D tracking, and I attribute it to the slight shake that comes with hand-holding the lens. Mind you I have my Focus tracking with lock-on set to 5. When I set it to 1, I did see more focus shifts between eyes; however, the difference is not huge, particularly in 3D tracking. In terms of sharpness (between eye and nose), I didn't see any variation of consequence. Then again, the nose and the eyes of the stuffed animal aren't that far apart to create focus problem due to shallow DOF.

I have never seen anything like that at all on my Z9 and i mean never. It might occasionally jump from one eye to the other if the subject turns their head but never just on a still static subject like that.

That is not typical of the Z9 AF system in 3D or Auto Area AF modes on my Z9 not any of the other rightly 60-75 others I've handled

I have never seen anything like that at all on my Z9 and i mean never. It might occasionally jump from one eye to the other if the subject turns their head but never just on a still static subject like that.

That is not typical of the Z9 AF system in 3D or Auto Area AF modes on my Z9 not any of the other rightly 60-75 others I've handled
Yup, it's a Z8 and both bodies demonstrate the ADHD AF system.

Those who have reset their systems, what type of reset did you perform and what settings are saved in the "save menu settings" feature which allow for a restore versus those which have to be manually reprogrammed? Thanks!

Those who have reset their systems, what type of reset did you perform and what settings are saved in the "save menu settings" feature which allow for a restore versus those which have to be manually reprogrammed? Thanks!
I did it from the menu. I tried it once where I saved my settings and reloaded them. I then tried it a second time where I didn't save my settings and programmed them again afterwards. I don't recall a substantial difference, but the second time may have been slightly better.

You do a full reset in the menu. Go to the wrench menu and at the bottom use the reset camera option and you do not reload any saved settings, you set the camera up manually from scratch

Back