Z9 FW 5.0 Possible Bug

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Warren D

I was out this morning shooting an egret in flight. After 30 frames or so the camera locked up. The image in the VF froze. I tried to turn the camera off but none of the controls responded. I pulled the battery and that seemed to restore function. I tried to replicate the problem but was not able to after 10+ strings of 50-80 shots each.
Z9, 800pf, Delkin Black 325, M w/auto ISO, subject detection on bird, 1/3200 sec, f6.3. I've switched cards and will see what happens this afternoon.
I've shot this combo the same way for over a year and a half with no issues, the only change is the FW update.

Just seems odd. I've been shooting digital for 24 years and this is the first lock up I've had. I've had 2 bad cards but both were DOA, never had one go south during use. First time out with the new firmware so it seems more than just co-incidence. I'll try the other body, same type/size of card and see what happens.
Thanks to all for weighing in.

Just seems odd. I've been shooting digital for 24 years and this is the first lock up I've had. I've had 2 bad cards but both were DOA, never had one go south during use. First time out with the new firmware so it seems more than just co-incidence. I'll try the other body, same type/size of card and see what happens.
Thanks to all for weighing in.
I think the architecture of the current cameras is more reminiscent of a computer than a camera and I think they are susceptible to the same kind of software glitches.

I had a lock up with my newest Z9 last month. I was not sure if it was operator error or a problem with the camera. I had one other earlier lock up incident and then no more for months.

Turned out it was not operator error ... the rest of the story.

So sent my Z9 and Z800 in for annual NPS servicing and to get the Z9 checked before warranty was up the end of March.

Info I sent to Nikon with my NPS request.

"My Z9 had a glitch when out photographing a rare bird last week. Normal settings Manual with auto ISO AF-C with subject detection bird on 20 fps, Raw. I start with shutter button half press focus on custom wide area1 at 5x7. Use other external buttons AF-On fn 1 and 2 programmed to switch to Af Area mode+af on AF Area modes used are 3-d, AF Area mode, wide area custom 2 at 1x1. As I photographed the bird I saw the normal view in the view finder for about 4 shots and then a holographic looking image and then a blue and white view with horizontal lines. The the camera stopped shooting. Turned the camera off and tried again with same results. In playback it showed only the bird. I tried again and the camera lockedup and would not turn off. I pulled the battery and put back in then turned the camera on and did a full format on both cards. Then tried to photograph the same bird again with the same results. I pulled the battery again I noticed when I was doing this that I had the shutter release button lock for vertical shooting accidentally unlocked. I suspected that some odd settings had happend via the vertical grip buttons when getting the camera ready to shoot in the beginning. So I pulled the cards put in a card with saved settings put the battery in turned on the camera a loaded the saved menu settings. It worked for the duration of the day."

Nikon tech QC report indicated main pcb short out, main switch not working properly.
So they "replaced the main pcb and replaced top cover complete".

So far it is working better than new including with the FW 5.0 update. No problems with my first/older Z9 so far.

Last edited:
I’m curious if you saw any interesting folder and file numbering issues after the lockup. The only time this happened to me was when I hit a folder limit and file number rollover during a long burst.

I do get occasional hiccup with an adapted 600mm fl in that the viewfinder is showing a circle with a red square inside--pressing the shutter restores all function. Apart from that no hard lockups like you described. I went yesterday for a pretty long session in the New Forest to try out FW 5.0--about 6 thousand photos with no issues.

I think the architecture of the current cameras is more reminiscent of a computer than a camera and I think they are susceptible to the same kind of software glitches.
As the IT manager at work used to ask when the computer glitched "did you unplug it from the wall and plug it back in yet" so for us pull the battery wait 10 seconds (an eternity with a rare bird suddenly appearing) :)

With my camera, that's been a feature since version 1.0. I think it's to give a busy photographer a break from shooting so they can develop and refine their troubleshooting skills. :)
Funny, Steve, but I don't remember reading about that in Nikon's "glossy sales brochure." I browsed the online manual and didn't see anything about it there, either...:unsure: :rolleyes:

I am trying to get in the habit of saving my menu settings, resetting the camera to factory settings, perform the firmware update, then load menu settings. The less user data the update has to deal with the less likely something will inadvertently become corrupt or misplaced.

Happened to me for the first time last week, firmware 4.1. Was shooting a long burst of tiger approaching and the camera just went black. Turned it off and on again, didn't help. Pulled the battery and voila, back to normal! It couldn't have happened at a worse time of course but thankfully no shots were lost. Delkin Black card. Didn't happen again the rest of the trip.

I am trying to get in the habit of saving my menu settings, resetting the camera to factory settings, perform the firmware update, then load menu settings. The less user data the update has to deal with the less likely something will inadvertently become corrupt or misplaced.
Good thought I save my settings before fw update anyway so half way there. Now if I could just remember what factory setting changes if any are not saved when we save the menu settings :)

That sounds like a great idea. I think I'll try it on the next Z9 firmware update which, at the rate Nikon is going, will be in another few days 🤯.

Back