Z9 gps questions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’ve had the gps location turned on for quite awhile. Today I wanted to get the coordinates to share the location with someone. It appears to be off by quite a bit, is this normal ?

What sort of terrain were you in? Difficult terrain can affect the accuracy of gps receivers in general. For example, being in a canyon, near buildings, in heavy forest cover.

Was the camera on for long enough for the gps unit to get a fix? I don’t think the gps is working if the camera is off. It may also not be working if the standby timer has kicked in, depending on your settings and whether you are running a log.

I was next to the Atlantic Ocean, when I plug the coordinates into a map it showed me about 3 miles out to sea. I'm not running a log, maybe it has something to do with the standby timer?

I was next to the Atlantic Ocean, when I plug the coordinates into a map it showed me about 3 miles out to sea. I'm not running a log, maybe it has something to do with the standby timer?
Just a thought for you. If it is very important to get the GPS location right, you may want to take a photo with your smartphone, as well. If both illustrate the same info, you win.

Usually next to the ocean would be good, with an unobstructed view of the sky (unless there were cliffs nearby).

If the camera had only recently been turned on or come out of sleep mode (triggered by the standby timer), perhaps the gps had not had time to get a signal lock. This can also take longer if the camera has been moved a long distance from its last location lock.
See pages 204-206 of the Z9 Reference Guide.

Back