Z9 Had a Fit

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

fotogrob

Got a bit of a scare today. Shooting some birds when the camera had a seizure. Wouldn’t fire, settings changed and stayed on even after turning it off. Only after I took out the battery and put it back in did it resume functioning. No lasting effects as far as I can tell but have no idea why. I've has it for a year. Only use Delkin Black. Have not upgraded to FW 4.0.

Hope it doesn’t happen again.
Anyone have this happen to their Z9?

I have only had one refusal to start. It was in very hot conditions. I had finished shooting for the morning anyway. I wanted to review some pictures. The Z9 did not turn on. It was fine when I swapped the battery. The automatic heat turn off option was on standard. (Setup Menu - Auto temperature cutout) Was the camera hot? (I also had some difficulty cooling back down once we were back at the house).

I had one two weeks ago (prior to firmware 4.0). Hasn't happened to me since firmware 3 releases, so this was the first time in a looooong time.
This was on the Z9 with the Z 400 2.8 attached.

In my case all the displays went black, but I could take pictures and change settings. As I was in the middle of some action, I pulled the battery and was back to photographing. Didn't spend time troubleshooting.

No clue why. Hasn't happened since and I am on firmware 4.0 right now, so that specific issue I may have encountered may be solved anyway.

Got a bit of a scare today. Shooting some birds when the camera had a seizure. Wouldn’t fire, settings changed and stayed on even after turning it off. Only after I took out the battery and put it back in did it resume functioning. No lasting effects as far as I can tell but have no idea why. I've has it for a year. Only use Delkin Black. Have not upgraded to FW 4.0.

Hope it doesn’t happen again.
Anyone have this happen to their Z9?
A lot these seem to happen when the camera is trying to write something to the card, which at least narrows down the issue some.

As for if it's a camera body issue, or card issue, no way to know without much more testing and data.

I haven't experienced this issue yet myself, but a few other people have (and seemed to be under the same circumstances, when the camera was trying to write to the card and got hung up).

A lot these seem to happen when the camera is trying to write something to the card, which at least narrows down the issue some.

As for if it's a camera body issue, or card issue, no way to know without much more testing and data.

I haven't experienced this issue yet myself, but a few other people have (and seemed to be under the same circumstances, when the camera was trying to write to the card and got hung up).
That sounds plausible. Thanks Cameron

I have only had one refusal to start. It was in very hot conditions. I had finished shooting for the morning anyway. I wanted to review some pictures. The Z9 did not turn on. It was fine when I swapped the battery. The automatic heat turn off option was on standard. (Setup Menu - Auto temperature cutout) Was the camera hot? (I also had some difficulty cooling back down once we were back at the house).
It was quite warm her yesterday. I'll have to check that setting. Was not aware of it. Thanks Griffyn

That sounds plausible. Thanks Cameron
It reminds of the before times (pre ssds) where intense programs would hang up because hard drive read/write/seek times were much slower.

It could be hitting bad sectors on the card and trying to write but the card isn't letting it (or is unable to write), or could be the camera trying to write data and not realizing it already did.

I'm sure the debug logs exist somewhere, and nikon could see them, but unfortunately we don't have access to it like we do on computers.

Back