Z9 is a truly a game changer

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just back from south texas and had some remarkable success with the Z9. Pre-capture is wonderful and would be that much better if it worked at 20 FPS in raw.

The following image is downsized, no post.

On question . Should I have included the bottom of the stump?

View attachment 39499
The answer is No don't touch the stump.

Yes keep it as it is.
except Lower left, Remove the bright green leaf, or reduce the brightness on the green leaf it attracts the eye to much.

To have some of the stump bottom taken of will seem like the image is chopped compressed, alters the position of the bird in the frame, at the moment the stump anchors the image, the shadows of the wings on the stump connects with the bird.

This composition is great, its shows the environment that completes a story, it has a direction, it has negative space reinforcing direction travel speed, the wing tips show slight movement yet the head and chest appear clear.

I cant tell sharpness as my screen on the office PC, the image file is not revealing detail well, should look at it on my Mac LOL.

The background is soft and with a nice pale green colour that is not competing with the key subject.

The blue and red creat s dimesion, with slight editing can be enhanced.

The image has a story, evokes emotion, has a nice wow factor.

Its cohesive, not esoteric,

The stump with the blue floral arrangement is pivotal and compliments the image greatly, the red green and blue colours all work nicely, lovely image, the bird wasn't red it would be a different situation.

i would experiment not with te stump but maybe see how a fraction of the top and right side works or doesn't work

I this was a competition i was judging then i would give you a credit/merit. LOL

PS flip the image and see if it enhances the power.

The answer is No don't touch the stump.

Yes keep it as it is.
except Lower left, Remove the bright green leaf, or reduce the brightness on the green leaf it attracts the eye to much.

To have some of the stump bottom taken of will seem like the image is chopped compressed, alters the position of the bird in the frame, at the moment the stump anchors the image, the shadows of the wings on the stump connects with the bird.

This composition is great, its shows the environment that completes a story, it has a direction, it has negative space reinforcing direction travel speed, the wing tips show slight movement yet the head and chest appear clear.

I cant tell sharpness as my screen on the office PC, the image file is not revealing detail well, should look at it on my Mac LOL.

The background is soft and with a nice pale green colour that is not competing with the key subject.

The blue and red creat s dimesion, with slight editing can be enhanced.

The image has a story, evokes emotion, has a nice wow factor.

Its cohesive, not esoteric,

The stump with the blue floral arrangement is pivotal and compliments the image greatly, the red green and blue colours all work nicely, lovely image, the bird wasn't red it would be a different situation.

i would experiment not with te stump but maybe see how a fraction of the top and right side works or doesn't work

I this was a competition i was judging then i would give you a credit/merit. LOL

PS flip the image and see if it enhances the power.

Thanks O. Very helpful comments. You obvious have lots of experience judging/evaluating image. Your comments are VERY helpful

I’m like that too. They get imported into folders by year and then outing and keyworded…then the ones to PP get 1 star and then the rest get filtered out and mostly never get looked at again…but I never throw any out except out of focus or clipped or obv garbage…because drives are cheap.
I take too many passes to reach my final selection. First weed out the junk using thumbnails, then check for critical sharpness. And then a final pass to ID the keepers. Disk may be cheap but eventually there are (will be) too many files in LR (already over 500,000) and the system slows down.

I take too many passes to reach my final selection. First weed out the junk using thumbnails, then check for critical sharpness. And then a final pass to ID the keepers. Disk may be cheap but eventually there are (will be) too many files in LR (already over 500,000) and the system slows down.
At that point…start a new catalog and only open the original of/when needed…and perhaps if you tend to use say last years more than older years export those into a new catalog that is the new working catalog and then add to it going forward. That’s my plan if it ever gets too slow…

At that point…start a new catalog and only open the original of/when needed…and perhaps if you tend to use say last years more than older years export those into a new catalog that is the new working catalog and then add to it going forward. That’s my plan if it ever gets too slow…
If I did that I would ignore all the old images. May be I should delete them. Actually thought that might have happened. I moved from a 2013 Mac Pro to a Mac Studio. Suddenly my OWC thunderbay enclosures could not mount. After a few days, I was able to find the how to mount them. Security on the apple is very tight (a good thing but also annoying when you need to do something was is not allowed).

If I did that I would ignore all the old images. May be I should delete them. Actually thought that might have happened. I moved from a 2013 Mac Pro to a Mac Studio. Suddenly my OWC thunderbay enclosures could not mount. After a few days, I was able to find the how to mount them. Security on the apple is very tight (a good thing but also annoying when you need to do something was is not allowed).
What was the issue? My Thunderbay mini mounted pretty easily after using Migration Assistant on my Studio to migrate from an SSD clone of the Intel iMac it replaced. I did have to authorize the SoftRAID stuff in System Preferences/Security and give them full disk access as well but other than that it just worked. I had already upgraded to the latest version of SoftRAID that worked on M1 Macs…v6.whatever it was…before migrating so maybe that was the difference.

What was the issue? My Thunderbay mini mounted pretty easily after using Migration Assistant on my Studio to migrate from an SSD clone of the Intel iMac it replaced. I did have to authorize the SoftRAID stuff in System Preferences/Security and give them full disk access as well but other than that it just worked. I had already upgraded to the latest version of SoftRAID that worked on M1 Macs…v6.whatever it was…before migrating so maybe that was the difference.
Just want to reduce the size of my storage. I just upgraded to Mac Studio but had several pr0blems w/ the driver. Finally figured out to give the driver permission.

If I go through my images and selected the keepers I could either delete unstanded images, flag them as unwanted or move them else. Either way I need to sort them

Back