Z9 or gripped camera users - Storage and Flight Backup Plans - PSA re PD Camera Cubes v1

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BarkingBeans Coffee

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
In case anyone is interested, I use the Peak Design Camera Cubes for storage at home, and as a backup plan on flights. If you are are a Z9 or other gripped camera user, you may want to pick up V1 models before they are sold out.

Version 1 which won't be sold that much more is taller (15.24cm) than V2 (13.5cm) which translates to .69 inches. I have both. They both work. Check the specs and decide for yourself. V2 zipper placement is better only in some cases not all. Version 1 is 20% off or less. I get mine at BH. When I just got a medium cube for my 45L I went with V1. The v2 makes it easier to get things out of the corner, (see the zipper location), but v1 is fine by me. The zippers on the sides made side access possible from the PD bags.

For a backup plan on flights - why use the cubes. In case you are forced to check a bag, I have the PD anchors on the cube and move my strap from the camera to the cube, and boom, all your gear stays with you on the plane. Any of the cubes fit under the seat. I never worry about being forced to check the bag.

V1 and then V2 images below.

1711368801683.png

1711368826591.png

If I am not mistaken, the V1 internal measurements are 16"x12"x6". I'm looking for new carry-on solutions which will comfortably fit two bodies, a 186, 800PF, another small lens or two and accessories. My MS 36L is too small.

If I am not mistaken, the V1 internal measurements are 16"x12"x6". I'm looking for new carry-on solutions which will comfortably fit two bodies, a 186, 800PF, another small lens or two and accessories. My MS 36L is too small.
I am not sure you could fit all that in one cube.

My focus was on the height difference with v1 vs v2. With V2, my Z9 is very tight.
The Z9 is 5.9" tall. The V2 gets a bit of length at the expense of height. Technically the specs say the Z9 doesn't fit the v2 as it's 5.3 inches tall. You can close the v2 with the Z9 but there's a bump. Alternative is that it's flat on its back which takes up space. So now I use the V2 at home and prefer the V1. Hence my post.

V1 Large:

Outer: 32 x 46 x 17 cm) 12.6" x 18.1" x 6.7"

Inner: 40.64 cm (16") x 30.48 cm (12") x 15.24 cm (6")

V2 Inner - Large: 43cm x 29cm x 13.5cm

I use the ThinkTank Airport Accelerator when flying with my 600mm TC and a couple of bodies or a body and another lens. It fits in the overheads and is about the biggest bag that will do so. In my carry on computer bag, I have my computer, and a body and another lens. The computer bag goes under the seat in front of me.

I find distributing my gear over 2 carry ons better than trying to get everything into one bag.

@BarkingBeans Coffee which bag(s) do you use these with?

if I'm not mistaken, I use my Shimoda 35L with the large camera cube v1. this backpack actually fits international carryon standards. in the large ICU, I can fit 2x Z9, 400TC, and 100-400 but not a single thing more.

The issue with ICU setups is that you lose so much carrying space compared to something like the beloved Mindshift 36L. In the Mindshift 36L you can fit 2x Z9, 400TC, 100-400, 14-30, 35-150, plus more.

MS 36L is going to be just about the largest you can get, because it's already oversized for most airlines. Technically, just about any airline could force you to check your MS36, or tell you that you can't travel with it at all - if they wanted to. I'm not sure how much bigger you'd want to risk going.

You can easily fit 2x Z9, 800PF, and 186 in there. The other lens and accessories may have to go in a personal carryon instead.

@BarkingBeans Coffee which bag(s) do you use these with?
These are Peak Design Cubes for their Travel Backpack 30L or 45L. I use them in the 45L.
The 45L collapses to more the size of a 35L if you like. It won't collapse with the Large Cube but will with the Medium Cube. It also explands and allows me side access if I want it. It has other features I like including the ability to tuck straps away.

There are other cubes out there for sure. I do find them great for home organization and to keep my cats out. Also good for the backup I mentioned. I don't know about other cubes having attaching points and handles like these. I am sure they will fit in other packs as well.

We’re currently in the US, visiting from Australia. It’s been an eye opener seeing the size of some of the bags passengers take as carryon on internal flights. In Australia many of the airlines for both international and domestic flights are now checking and weighing all carryon for compliance. If it complies they tag each bag ‘Approved Cabin Baggage’. Not sure what happens if a bag doesn’t comply.

Back