Z9 or Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Last weekend I picked up a used Nikon ZFC for a very good deal, I want it as a walk around camera.
Today however I was going out for my usual drive and walk and decided to put my 180-600mm on the Zfc just to see how it did. Anyway I did manage to get some shots off and was surprised how good they looked, nothing special basically perched birds. However I really noticed the difference in weight and it was so nice to be able to walk around without issue. Now it’s got me thinking if I should sell my Z9 for a Z8 and will I notice the weight difference, also I’ve been wondering about the Z6iii and if that would work for me. As I said at the beginning I’m just a hobbyist and post my stuff online to Facebook instagram ect.
Any feedback would be appreciated..

Even being a hobbyist doesn't mean that it is not worth to put attention to ergonomics, weight, button layout etc.
Regarding functionality, weight, size I like my Z8, having used a D4s and a gripped D850 before. It is much more handy and especially with tricky macro scenarios on or near groundlevel I very much prefer not to have this hump underneath the camera. The only disadvantage against a Z9 I can see from my side is that you have to live with EN-EL15 instead of enjoying the EN-EL18 "energy buckets". But this can be solved with some spare batteries in the pocket.

Since switching to mirrorless I miss my second body (compromise due to financial limitations) but if I get a second body my natural choice would be a Z8.
My friend has a Z9 and a Z8 and thinks of swapping the Z9 for a Z8 for the similar reasons.

Being a hobbyist myself and having the challenge of often longer absence from my hobby I very much rely on having the controls layout and swetup absolutely identical on both bodies. So getting a second Z8 would be the most natural way to go for me and if I had a Z9 already I would most likely swap it for a Z8.

That said, considerung that you seem to use your images primarily for social media and online presentation, another quetion is whether 45MP might be overkill.

Actually the second option for me to get back to two bodies is not to buy another Z8 but to trade it and get two Z6 III instead.
45MP is nice, but if I have the discipline to continue working on myself and my behaviour, I should be able to minimize the occasions where miss the hires sensor and be able to live with 24 MP just as I did for years and years in the past. What's tempting for me is the persistant storage of complete user settings as I used to have with my D750s some years ago. These banks in the pro models don't make sense to me.

Even being a hobbyist doesn't mean that it is not worth to put attention to ergonomics, weight, button layout etc.
Regarding functionality, weight, size I like my Z8, having used a D4s and a gripped D850 before. It is much more handy and especially with tricky macro scenarios on or near groundlevel I very much prefer not to have this hump underneath the camera. The only disadvantage against a Z9 I can see from my side is that you have to live with EN-EL15 instead of enjoying the EN-EL18 "energy buckets". But this can be solved with some spare batteries in the pocket.

Since switching to mirrorless I miss my second body (compromise due to financial limitations) but if I get a second body my natural choice would be a Z8.
My friend has a Z9 and a Z8 and thinks of swapping the Z9 for a Z8 for the similar reasons.

Being a hobbyist myself and having the challenge of often longer absence from my hobby I very much rely on having the controls layout and swetup absolutely identical on both bodies. So getting a second Z8 would be the most natural way to go for me and if I had a Z9 already I would most likely swap it for a Z8.

That said, considerung that you seem to use your images primarily for social media and online presentation, another quetion is whether 45MP might be overkill.

Actually the second option for me to get back to two bodies is not to buy another Z8 but to trade it and get two Z6 III instead.
45MP is nice, but if I have the discipline to continue working on myself and my behaviour, I should be able to minimize the occasions where miss the hires sensor and be able to live with 24 MP just as I did for years and years in the past. What's tempting for me is the persistant storage of complete user settings as I used to have with my D750s some years ago. These banks in the pro models don't make sense to me.
Boy, I sure agree with you about the shooting banks not making sense. After reading a number of times about setting them up, I would forget about them in the moment. Recall shooting function is the only thing I use now.

Last weekend I picked up a used Nikon ZFC for a very good deal, I want it as a walk around camera.
Today however I was going out for my usual drive and walk and decided to put my 180-600mm on the Zfc just to see how it did. Anyway I did manage to get some shots off and was surprised how good they looked, nothing special basically perched birds. However I really noticed the difference in weight and it was so nice to be able to walk around without issue. Now it’s got me thinking if I should sell my Z9 for a Z8 and will I notice the weight difference, also I’ve been wondering about the Z6iii and if that would work for me. As I said at the beginning I’m just a hobbyist and post my stuff online to Facebook instagram ect.
Any feedback would be appreciated..
Based on what you've stated a Z9 is definately over-kill. I bought one when it first came out and sold it as soon as the Z8 came out, it was way too heavy and bulky for me. I love the Z8, I have two. Again, based on what you've stated, the z8 would probably also be over-kill. The new Z6iii would probably be just perfect for your use and would have all the latest bells and whistles. You might get enough on trade-in for the Z6 although I think there are an awful lot of Z9s on the used marketplace.

I agree with Wotan about the Wimberley 100 head but I just bought an inexpensive Manfrotto monopod. Don't have any complaints about it. I didn't go the cheaper route with a tripod for obvious reasons.
Yes, I too have the Wimberly 100 and also went with an inexpensive monopod. In my case I got the Benro MSD46C SupaDupa Carbon Fiber monopod. I've got two Gitzo tripods, but didn't feel I needed to break the bank for a limited use monopod.

I have lately been able to work handheld with some big lenses including the 800mm PF. Having them on a shoulder strap means I don’t have to hold them up all the time I just lift to shoot then let it down.

I also found that having two bodies with one lens on each side provides some balance which actually helps.

I don’t like the dual Blackrapid strap for this because when I pick up one camera the other side seems unstable. I prefer two single Blackrapid straps.

i prefer the Holdfast dual for carrying two lenses/cameras.

my favorite combinations are 400 4.5 and 800 pf when shooting long or 70-200 f2.8 and 400 f4.5 when less long works. Or I may carry 800 on one side and tripod/gimbal on the other.

This weekend I was shooting two different crowded public outdoor events. I used the 24-70mm f2.8 by itself for the first on the Blackrapid and did fine. I was mostly shooting cars at a car show.

The next day was more strenuous I had the 24-70 2.8 on one side and the 70-200 f2.8 on the other. Had to walk up to two miles to get to the shooting spot and then was standing in one place for about two hours and then hike back to the car another two miles. It all worked and I am not in pain this morning. I did all this with superb lenses. On the other hand I don’t generally shoot this sort of thing and my technique needs study and improvement. i will get this in post later.
Thanks for the point about the double strap. Have been wavering on which to buy and was just this very day staring at the cameras and thinking having each on a single peak design strap is the better way to do; you pushed me over that decision edge, thanks :)

Thanks for the point about the double strap. Have been wavering on which to buy and was just this very day staring at the cameras and thinking having each on a single peak design strap is the better way to do; you pushed me over that decision edge, thanks :)
You are welcome.

To be clear, I find the dual Blackrapid strap unstable when carrying two heavy cameras one on each side. Having two single straps solves that problem.

By contrast, the Holdfast dual strap is much more stable when using two heavy weights one on each side. I would not hesitate to use it that way.

At this point I strongly recommend the Blackrapid straps for carrying a single heavy lens/camera and I recommend the Holdfast for shooting with dual weights.

I don’t know what Peak Design straps you are considering.

This is also all my personal experience and others may see this differently.

You are welcome.

To be clear, I find the dual Blackrapid strap unstable when carrying two heavy cameras one on each side. Having two single straps solves that problem.

By contrast, the Holdfast dual strap is much more stable when using two heavy weights one on each side. I would not hesitate to use it that way.

At this point I strongly recommend the Blackrapid straps for carrying a single heavy lens/camera and I recommend the Holdfast for shooting with dual weights.

I don’t know what Peak Design straps you are considering.

This is also all my personal experience and others may see this differently.
Thanks. I currently use the original (I think) Peak Design strap -- it's wide. I wear it across body and the camera simply stays put (!) on my hip/lower back, and I love the quick release system, a lot. Should work fine with two. I'll soon find out :)

I tried the peak it only works for me on small stuff I need Blackrapid or holdfast on big stuff.

There is a way to hook the big lens at the hip so it stays in place with the holdfast they have a belt loop that does that.

My back tells what does and does not work. I need the weight completely off my neck and fully onto the shoulders. You may have a less sensitive back.

I have a Z8 and I love it. BUT everytime I go to take a vertical shot with the Z8, I wish I had a Z9. I wish I could just rotate the camera and not have to do the elbow up vertical hold. I have the grip for the Z8, and have confirmed a vertical grip camera is better for my style of shooting. BUT adding the grip to the Z8 makes it even bigger than the Z9 and the ergonomics are still not as good as a Z9. If I had to do it over again, I would get the Z9 for the grip alone (and then add a Z8...)

That being said, even though they use different batteries, I think adding a Z9 some day to my gear is inevitable. The Z8/Z9 pair really is an unbelievable combo

I have a Z8 and I love it. BUT everytime I go to take a vertical shot with the Z8, I wish I had a Z9. I wish I could just rotate the camera and not have to do the elbow up vertical hold. I have the grip for the Z8, and have confirmed a vertical grip camera is better for my style of shooting. BUT adding the grip to the Z8 makes it even bigger than the Z9 and the ergonomics are still not as good as a Z9. If I had to do it over again, I would get the Z9 for the grip alone (and then add a Z8...)

That being said, even though they use different batteries, I think adding a Z9 some day to my gear is inevitable. The Z8/Z9 pair really is an unbelievable combo
If you rotate the camera the other way (right hand down), you are able to keep both elbows against your body and better support the camera keeping it more stable. If using a bigger lens it still allows you to keep your right arm against the body while your left is supporting the lens like normal. If not used to doing it this way it will feel a little awkward initially but it does provide for a more stable shooting position.

Back