Z9 picture review

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DanG

Does anyone have trouble with the speed of the review button? Sometimes I feel it is trying to provide other functionality and actually has snapped photos at times inadvertently.

Last edited:
No, I find Playback access to be fast. But sometimes scrolling / zooming images, one's right hand hits the vertical shutter release inadvertently.

Another item for Firmware Request: option to enable locking of Vertical Shutter release when the Z9 is in landscape orientation i.e. it will only release when held to shoot in Vertical format

No, I find Playback access to be fast. But sometimes scrolling / zooming images, one's right hand hits the vertical shutter release inadvertently.

Another item for Firmware Request: option to enable locking of Vertical Shutter release when the Z9 is in landscape orientation i.e. it will only release when held to shoot in Vertical format

is that on Brad's list? if not you should send it to him.

Yes, I will definitely email Brad suggesting a couple more tweaks-additions. Shooting with my Z9 every day, since 2nd March, has highlighted quite a few features that could be improved/modified/added. These are mostly controls for right-hand access - including buttons etc.

Overall IME to date, the Z9 is Nikon's best attempt to date to facilitate controlling AF and metering with the shooting hand: and in this case of a MILC, the Z9 works rather well also to operate Playback and Menu changes thru' the EVF, as well as right hand only (well almost).

Having read about and discussed Pro-Capture aka Retroactive Shutter mode, time and again I encounter subjects where this feature will be a game changer to grab the precious moments in split second behaviours.... This is for stills. However, it's ridiculous Nikon did not include this feature at launch as standard in video mode, because so much of the R&D they invested in the Z9 is so obviously aimed at the high end market ie RED etc

is that on Brad's list? if not you should send it to him.

Having read about and discussed Pro-Capture aka Retroactive Shutter mode, time and again I encounter subjects where this feature will be a game changer to grab the precious moments in split second behaviours.... This is for stills. However, it's ridiculous Nikon did not include this feature at launch as standard in video mode, because so much of the R&D they invested in the Z9 is so obviously aimed at the high end market ie RED etc
At the risk of expanding the discussion on this thread, Pro-Capture is one feature that really intrigues me about the Olympus OM-1.

as opposed to manually turning it on and off. Would be handy

Back