Z9 - Rubber cover on security slot won't seal

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I ended up sending my camera in to Nikon because it also had an issue with the EVF. The techs fixed the EVF but missed the rubber cover part of the work order. So, I had to send the camera in again. Each trip involved shipping by truck across Canada. When I sent the camera back the second time, they sent me an estimate of several hundred dollars to fix the LCD (which was operating just fine) because they found what they claimed was water damage behind it. After more and back and forth, I told them to forget about the LCD and to just please send me the camera back with the rubber cover replaced. Not a great experience.
Sending a camera to Nikon for repair is a huge roll of the dice. They either find or create a problem that previously did not exist.

I've never touched mine and now won't. Slightly related: I do note that the cover seal on my security cable slot thingy on my 600 f4 tc flaps in the wind or breath of a bird (or me simply moving the lens) constantly, or it doesn't, or there it does again.... Luckily the security slot will not be providing any entrance into the lens so I dont' have to worry about weather sealing (gawd, I hope not) but for a cad$22k lens it makes me curse Nikon's failure to worry about the little things more than their 10 cent lens caps.

You should do a search this has been discussed at nauseum.

I had a could friends shave down the river cover just enough for it to fit back in and then used super glue to just tack it place. It's worked for them with no recurrence in over a year.

I'm going on 2.5 years with my Z9 and have had zero issues with any of my rubber port covers to date. Though 18 months ago i put on an Alphagevd skin and did put all on the skins pieces on my rubber ava rubber port covers. Not sure if that is enough to keep then from expanding 🤷

I had the same problem with the cover for the USB port on a Canon camera which was out of warranty. Once it swelled and I couldn't get it fully in it just kept getting worse. Other than being a pain in the a-s, it was never a problem and apparently never allowed water in. If it was a cover that I never used I'd have glued in in with a couple of tiny, tiny spots of GOOP; I love that stuff -- it bonds to metal, plastic and wood very well but is thick enough to never run and dries very rapidly, it's elastic and can be removed without leaving a residue, denatured alcohol is the solvent.

Last edited:
After 2 years of pushing into place and it popping out the next day, I finally covered it in black gaffers tape. 30 yards for $10 on Amazon. Not the most elegant solution but I don't need Nikon to hold my Z9 for weeks at who knows what cost.

Back