Z9 - Sensor Shield - Any Concerns?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

As a new owner of a Z9, I’d like to know how you feel about the Z9 sensor shield? As a long time Nikon shooter and Z user since 2019, I’ve read some posts on two other forums about some Z9 owners having issues with the sensor shield - specifically some that were stuck in the closed position even after turning the camera on, resulting in the camera being unusable. Now, I’m not saying that this was widely reported; perhaps this was only a very small sampling.

I don’t shoot in real dusty situations and I follow the best practices of changing lenses when needed. So, as this seems to be the only real Z9 Achilles heal. i.e., the only moving internal part of the Z9. Presently my sensor shield is not set to close automatically when power is off. My paranoia perhaps? Your thoughts?

I have a pair of Z9s since last December/January and I have used them extensively. I consider having the sensor shield engage when power off is essential in protecting the sensor from dust spots. I have yet to need doing a sensor cleaning. I have had absolutely no problem with the sensor shield and neither have I heard of problems from anyone else I know using the Z9.
I suppose any mechanical device can fail. But I think it unlikely to happen with the Z9 sensor shield, unless it is mishandled. Very important not to touch the shield when it is down and the lens is off the camera.

I'd close it automatically if I were you. If it doesn't work right then the camera is broken and needs to go in for repair.

Set it to close - I can't think of any disadvantages and I'm not sure why that isn't the default. Remember, Nikon does not recommend wet-cleaning the sensor yourself, so you want to do everything you can to keep it free from dust and the shield goes a long way.

Along those same lines, I also recommend turning off Auto sensor cleaning since it'll do it when you shut the camera off and just move the dust around. I keep mine off and make it a point to run the sensor cleaning routine regularly in a clean environment with the sensor shield off and the camera pointed down so the dust can fall away.

The wide opening on the Nikon cameras does invite some caution when changing lenses. There have been reports of owners touching the shutter ( or whatever it's called) with the butt of the lens during changing resulting in a need for repair. Apparently, the damage done does not need to be visible to result in intermittent problems. This type of type of vulnerability was not present with the F system.

The wide opening on the Nikon cameras does invite some caution when changing lenses. There have been reports of owners touching the shutter ( or whatever it's called) with the butt of the lens during changing resulting in a need for repair. Apparently, the damage done does not need to be visible to result in intermittent problems. This type of type of vulnerability was not present with the F system.

Is that physically possible? Looking at pics it seems too deep for the lens to reach. If so I'd say "Don't do that."

Is that physically possible? Looking at pics it seems too deep for the lens to reach. If so I'd say "Don't do that."

I just checked with a Z24-70mm f2.8 and was able to get very close to touchdown before I chickened out. Looks to me it is very possible, interwebz reports not withstanding. One of the gotchas for having a short flang-to-focal-plane distance.

I just checked with a Z24-70mm f2.8 and was able to get very close to touchdown before I chickened out. Looks to me it is very possible, interwebz reports not withstanding. One of the gotchas for having a short flang-to-focal-plane distance.
Well, my initial reaction was I would have thought that it would not be possible to touch the sensor shield with the mount end of a Z lens. So, I did a test. So after closing the shield upon powering down and aligning a Z lens on an angle to the Z9 lens mount (but not actually trying on purpose to touch the shield) with a portion of the lens mount that it IS most definitely possible to hit the shield with a portion of the lens if one is not careful or in too big a hurry. Should not be a problem if one takes the normal precautions when lens mounting to align the lens properly. But if one is a bit careless, damage could happen. I am glad to have learned about this and the need for simply being mindful about this when doing lens mounting. But, with all of this said, I like the Z mount system. Soldier on folks.

Last edited:
This is an old thread, and between all the Z9 and Z8 cameras currently in use I had not heard of any problems with the sensor shield.

However. It looks like this is not entirely a theoretical issue. A pair of British YouTubers (Russ & Loz) has reported a problem with the sensor shield that actually damaged the sensor of a Z8.

On my Z8 I have the sensor cover engaged when I turn it off, and will continue to do so. I find it generally reassuring. Unless there are more widespread reports this is hopefully an unfortunate fluke. See

This is an old thread, and between all the Z9 and Z8 cameras currently in use I had not heard of any problems with the sensor shield.

However. It looks like this is not entirely a theoretical issue. A pair of British YouTubers (Russ & Loz) has reported a problem with the sensor shield that actually damaged the sensor of a Z8.

On my Z8 I have the sensor cover engaged when I turn it off, and will continue to do so. I find it generally reassuring. Unless there are more widespread reports this is hopefully an unfortunate fluke. See
Probably just a fluke. Think of it this way. There are tens of thousands - if not hundreds of thousands of Z8s - out there by now. I think it's safe to say that with that number of cameras in the wild, it's a virtual certainty that, between all of those cameras, every part of the Z8 will fail. It might be that 1 in 10,000 or even one in 100,000 have a particular part fail, but eventually each individual part in that camera will, for someone somewhere in the world, experience a failure.

We have to be cautious of videos like this too - I receive e-mails on a weekly basis with concerns about this camera or that camera failing because someone saw something on you tube or on a blog where the user had a bad unit. On one hand, I think it's good to get the reports out there so if there is a widespread issue it can be addressed, but as viewers and readers, I think it's our responsibility to keep in mind the sample sizes involved :)

Probably just a fluke. Think of it this way. There are tens of thousands - if not hundreds of thousands of Z8s - out there by now. I think it's safe to say that with that number of cameras in the wild, it's a virtual certainty that, between all of those cameras, every part of the Z8 will fail. It might be that 1 in 10,000 or even one in 100,000 have a particular part fail, but eventually each individual part in that camera will, for someone somewhere in the world, experience a failure.

We have to be cautious of videos like this too - I receive e-mails on a weekly basis with concerns about this camera or that camera failing because someone saw something on you tube or on a blog where the user had a bad unit. On one hand, I think it's good to get the reports out there so if there is a widespread issue it can be addressed, but as viewers and readers, I think it's our responsibility to keep in mind the sample sizes involved :)
I agree with you Steve, this probably is a fluke - and the internet is an echo chamber that tends to create its own alternate reality.

Just like all things mechanical, these shields can break unexpectedly, and statistically they will, thus affecting some users.

At the same time, these YTers are long term Nikon users, not alarmists, and I think it is also good for other users to be aware that the sensor shield needs to be treated with care.

Early on, with the Z9, there were a few sensor shields mishaps reported. From memory, they were attributed to bumping the shield while changing a lens.

The distance from the mount surface to the sensor is less of the Z-mount than F-mount, making the Z’s more prone to being bumped.

Hmmm, an interesting take though it is likely an exceedingly rare event. Interestingly, I purchased another new Z8 body recently and it arrived with a dirty sensor (no, it wasn't a demo and the shutter count supported that it was new). Multiple attempts to clean it using a blower, wet method, and sensor pen were largely unsuccessful though it's now down to just a couple of sensor spots. Ironically, my other Z8 has no dust/dirt problems at all. FWIW, the auto clean doesn't seem to do much and yes, I have the sensor cover engaged.

FWIW, I just purchased one of these to replace my Giotto rocket blower. It's made by the group who make sensorswabs and eclipse solution and I don't know if it will make a difference, but the rocket blower was a big fail with my Z8.

Last edited:
Hmmm, an interesting take though it is likely an exceedingly rare event. Interestingly, I purchased another new Z8 body recently and it arrived with a dirty sensor (no, it wasn't a demo and the shutter count supported that it was new). Multiple attempts to clean it using a blower, wet method, and sensor pen were largely unsuccessful though it's now down to just a couple of sensor spots. Ironically, my other Z8 has no dust/dirt problems at all. FWIW, the auto clean doesn't seem to do much and yes, I have the sensor cover engaged.
A new camera should not arrive with a dirty sensor.

WIth regard to the sensor cleaning function, some people have expressed concern that using the cleaning function as default (when starting or turning off the camera) together with an engaged sensor shield just locks in the dirt, even if it is dislodged from the sensor (this would also have been a problem with DSLRs I would think, but in a larger but equally enclosed space).

At any rate they recommend only using the cleaning function when the sensor shield is not engaged - I am curious what other people's practice is.

Back