Z9 sensor shield closes between shots

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Recently been using a Nikon z9. I noticed that if the camera is in idol mode after taking a shot the sensor shield closes. This means camera isn’t in ready mode until I press back button focus in my case. Is there a way to keep shield open? I do have it set to close shield at power off.

Just curious, but how do you know that the shield is closed between shots? The camera does go into a sleep mode, but think the shield is open if not powered off, unless you set the shield to not close upon power-off.

I have never taken a lens off while the camera is powered on and sleeping to look at the shield status…

I think my Z8 does the same but it's not a problem. Pressing the focus button and it's ready to go, pretty well instantly. The camera is certainly ready before I have my eye to the viewfinder.

I think I can hear the shield closing - I can't think what else is making the soft "clunk" - there is certainly something happening as it goes into idle mode.

Chaz

Just curious, but how do you know that the shield is closed between shots? The camera does go into a sleep mode, but think the shield is open if not powered off, unless you set the shield to not close upon power-off.

I have never taken a lens off while the camera is powered on and sleeping to look at the shield status…
I can hear a click. Then pressing the back button can hear it open again. I assume it’s the shield not sure what else would make a mechanical noise.

I can hear a click. Then pressing the back button can hear it open again. I assume it’s the shield not sure what else would make a mechanical noise.

Think the noise may be the IBIS mechanism locking and unlocking.

Yes the shutter doesn't close until the camera is powered off. It does not close when it goes to sleep. The click when it sleeps/wakes up is the IBIS locking/unlocking. You'll notice if you shut the camera down while it is asleep you'll here the shutter close. The IBIS is actually louder then the shutter. Plus the shutter sounds like... well, a shutter.

I thought that Nikon would have set it up so that the shutter shield closed when a lens was removed - but seemingly the answer to this is that you should not remove/change a lens until the camera is turned off first - something to do with the IBIS floating whilst the camera is powered on ?

I thought that Nikon would have set it up so that the shutter shield closed when a lens was removed - but seemingly the answer to this is that you should not remove/change a lens until the camera is turned off first - something to do with the IBIS floating whilst the camera is powered on ?
Nikon has left it up to us whether we want to use the protective shutter. But yes in the base case even with DSLRs it is best practice to turn the camera off prior to removing/mounting a lens. Keep in mind there are electrical contacts involved and sensitive electronics. It's always best practice to power things down before connecting/disconnecting a power source.

Nikon has left it up to us whether we want to use the protective shutter. But yes in the base case even with DSLRs it is best practice to turn the camera off prior to removing/mounting a lens. Keep in mind there are electrical contacts involved and sensitive electronics. It's always best practice to power things down before connecting/disconnecting a power source.
One thing I should mention here (on a personal finding) but slightly off topic however, still related to the shutter shield. Previously - I had a LOT of dust bunny issues with my previous Z7II and endless sensor cleaning as a result. Since owning and using the Z8 - there has not been one single issue of dust spots in my images. I put this down to that same shutter shield sensor protection. Fingers crossed - this situation continues !! :)

One thing I should mention here (on a personal finding) but slightly off topic however, still related to the shutter shield. Previously - I had a LOT of dust bunny issues with my previous Z7II and endless sensor cleaning as a result. Since owning and using the Z8 - there has not been one single issue of dust spots in my images. I put this down to that same shutter shield sensor protection. Fingers crossed - this situation continues !! :)
Funny you should mention this. Just recently I was thinking about the fact I've been shooting the Z9 for a year and a half and haven't had to clean the sensor yet. That's a move in the right direction.

Not only IBIS floating around, but for recent Nikon F or Z mount VR lenses you really want the lens VR mechanism to dock before taking the lens off the camera. If you remove such a lens while the VR is active the lens will make a rattling sound off-camera or in your camera bag as the VR lens elements float around. I haven't heard any first hand reports of lens damage from this but it's certainly disconcerting to pick up an expensive lens and hear things rattling around inside. Turning the camera off before removing a lens eliminates this problem as the VR elements dock securely on power down.

Yeah, the camera's IBIS issue is similar but at least that's limited to just the camera for the duration you're changing the lens but the lens VR elements can remain undocked and rattle around until you mount that lens back on a camera body and power things up and then shut it down properly prior to removing the lens.

Not only IBIS floating around, but for recent Nikon F or Z mount VR lenses you really want the lens VR mechanism to dock before taking the lens off the camera. If you remove such a lens while the VR is active the lens will make a rattling sound off-camera or in your camera bag as the VR lens elements float around. I haven't heard any first hand reports of lens damage from this but it's certainly disconcerting to pick up an expensive lens and hear things rattling around inside. Turning the camera off before removing a lens eliminates this problem as the VR elements dock securely on power down.

Yeah, the camera's IBIS issue is similar but at least that's limited to just the camera for the duration you're changing the lens but the lens VR elements can remain undocked and rattle around until you mount that lens back on a camera body and power things up and then shut it down properly prior to removing the lens.
Thanks for that information. I always do turn the camera off before changing/removing a lens I must admit. But I wonder how many don't follow that procedure and Nikon didn't consider never allowing the sensor to be uncovered (except when sensor cleaning) by anyone accidentally removing a lens with the camera still powered. Something like having the sensor shield drop whenever the lens release button is pressed and held to release the lens locking mechanism. It would be the ultimate sensor protection. But then I guess - we already have that if the camera is powered off first !! But I wonder how many Z8/Z9 users don't realise the 'risks' of changing a lens with the camera powered up.

That's a good point. Particularly with adapted f mount lenses since the VR doesn't shut off when Z cameras sleep.

Yes the shutter doesn't close until the camera is powered off. It does not close when it goes to sleep. The click when it sleeps/wakes up is the IBIS locking/unlocking. You'll notice if you shut the camera down while it is asleep you'll here the shutter close. The IBIS is actually louder then the shutter. Plus the shutter sounds like... well, a shutter.
Excellent thank you.
Also disabling the sensor protector if your going to be using the one lens all day is another good tip, handy to know thank you

It's the IBIS setting / locking going into standby (regardless of how long your standby is set to activate). When you turn the camera off, you will also hear the shield closing, it's a slightly different / slightly louder sound than just IBIS.

Reactions: O
Back