Z9 Setup-Button Re-assignment

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Dhelton

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I use BBAF exclusively and like it. I also have previously set up FN buttons and some other buttons with various alternative AF modes. I have always made those buttons be AF area mode + AF-ON which allows me to push just one button to both autofocus and utilize the particular AF area assigned to that button. However, I was reading thru Steve Perry's new e-book on Z9 setup settings and he says he likes to put the alternative AF area modes on different buttons only as AF area mode because " I personally like keeping my AF separate since there are times I want to pause focusing but not jump out of my AF area." So, does this mean when using those alternative buttons for a different AF area that he is having to simultaneously press the alternative button as well as the AF-ON button (backbutton) in order to achieve focus using that AF area mode? That seems difficult. I think I must be mis-understanding something. So, for example, he may have his AF area mode selected as Wide area- S and then configure the FN1 button to be AF area mode - 3D. But in his setup instructions, he just uses AF area mode, NOT AF area mode+ AF-ON. When I do this, pressing the FN1 button does not autofocus at all and I have to press the AF-ON button at the same time for it to be in that AF area mode plus actually AF. Am I understanding what he is doing correctly?

Yes, that's it. When I press the override button, I have to hit AF-on as well. I've never found it a problem though - it's pretty easy since I focus with AF-On all the time anyway. :)

Yes, that's it. When I press the override button, I have to hit AF-on as well. I've never found it a problem though - it's pretty easy since I focus with AF-On all the time anyway. :)
Ok, it sounded like it would take alot of coordination to do it that way and I know you always say you have challenges in that area (though I find it hard to believe).

Ok, it sounded like it would take alot of coordination to do it that way and I know you always say you have challenges in that area (though I find it hard to believe).
LOL, it's totally true. I'm embarrassingly uncoordinated. So, if I can do it you can too :)

However, as I mention in the book, do what works best for you - we're all wired differently.

Back