Z9 subject tracking

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Greetings to everyone ,
I’m a new forum member. I purchased the Z9 as a retirement gift to myself. My old brain is not allowing me to get subject tracking activated. I believe it’s a user settings error.
I went out with a newly acquired Nikon Z800 6.3 and had a terrible time following the blue herons. can you or anyone offer advice?

Greetings to everyone ,
I’m a new forum member. I purchased the Z9 as a retirement gift to myself. My old brain is not allowing me to get subject tracking activated. I believe it’s a user settings error.
I went out with a newly acquired Nikon Z800 6.3 and had a terrible time following the blue herons. can you or anyone offer advice?
I'm not sure where the hangup is, you'd have to describe your current attempts, because there are two ways to do it. The first is just using 3d tracking, and holding the AF button. The second is using the handoff, which is described a lot of people (including Steve).

Are you actually tracking the subjects in the viewfinder? If so, any AF method would likely work decently enough, as herons are large and obvious birds (vs, say, warblers, which are not).

Thanks for the responses. The Blue Herons are slow moving birds. I've had success photographing them over the years with the D850, and with the Z6ii tracking, but struggled using the 800 mounted on the Z9. I have purchased Steve's Z9 guide. I guess I need to go through more thoroughly. I'll also try the 3D tracking advice... Thanks again Butterkid and Cameron.

Firmware updates? Current is 4.10. This recommendation is addition to previous advice, not instead of. Steve’s guide is a great help. Make sure you’ve updated that as well.

Back