z9 tripod upgrade

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I begin by saying I searched in the search engine and only 10 hits for z9 came up. I am going to the Faroe Islands in late 2025 so I'm looking to upgrade my tripod. My difficulty in searching is there are heaps of claims out there but I would think some of you have tripods that you know will work. I was thinking of a travel tripod, carbon fibre and stability in artic winds. Please correct my assumptions for those who have been. I've done the Google search of confusion so I'm asking for your help, please.
Thank you for all the replies as I'm overlooking online. For the present.

i have the gitzo systematic 3 series and it is solid and stable, A tripod labeled “travel” is going to be a compromise in stability, With the high winds you will be facing go for something stronger. You can carry the tripod in checked luggage.

The 3 series is a good all around tripod they are solidly built and reliable. I have had mine for 15 years and it still is good as new.

My advice is to first recognise there will sometimes be winds too strong for stability on a tripod even at normal hand holding speeds.

These conditions are normally only accasional.
Being prepared to reduce the tripod height and maybe even sit on the ground and cradle the tripod with enhanced hand holding technique can help offset strong or severe wind problems.

Bright sunny days with low winds do also sometimes occur :)

You have not mentioned what camera/lens resolution you will be using or what longer focal length lenses.
Either and both affect safe shutter speeds whether on or off a tripod.

A Gitzo Series 3 is a good compromise though I use the heavier and even more stable Series 5 for critical landscape work from near the car - at 8.5 pounds including my preferred tripod head I do not carry them very far.
Gitzo have got quite expensive over recent years. There are other brands which come extremely close in performance at perhaps 60% of the price.
Benro is a name often mentioned as qualifying for your needs. There are also very suitable USA products.

I am still learning!
I still find it difficult for someone who has been photographing for over 60 years to get used to modern IBIS/in lens VR being capable of producing results equal to those possible with a good tripod in an increasingly wide range of shooting conditions.

As to a so-called travel tripods – I agree with the point already expressed that they are okay for travel but not much use for the serious level of stability important for the highest level of image resolution.

Enjoy you trip!

I have one Algonquin tripod with a Jobu 3 Gimbal head and a monopod by Jobu Designs. Both are Carbon Black and extremely lightweight.

I use a Leofoto 323, equivalent to Systematic 4 if I remember correctly. For landscape with a UWide lens on a Nikon Z9 or D850, I use an Acratech ballhead, which I bought circa 2016. Otherwise I usually have a gimbal on these legs to support a heavy telephoto rig - sometimes +7kg. There are Leofoto models better designed for landscape photography, such as the Levelling Ranger with integral levelling platform

Although Leofoto is a Chinese company, their designs are innovative and they use high quality materials built to a high standard

For windy conditions, I've read recommendations for a sturdier video model, such as a Sachtler 750, Heavier and expensive; and check out the new Sirui Rapid SVT-75.

Last edited:
Ju
i have the gitzo systematic 3 series and it is solid and stable, A tripod labeled “travel” is going to be a compromise in stability, With the high winds you will be facing go for something stronger. You can carry the tripod in checked luggage.

The 3 series is a good all around tripod they are solidly built and reliable. I have had mine for 15 years and it still is good as new

Just a body is not enough for giving you any suggestion. What lens(es) will you use
Just a body is not enough for giving you any suggestion. What lens(es) will you use?
Wide angle, I'm upgrading from Tamron 15-30 G2 to Z 14-24mm, Tamron 24-70 G2, z 100-400 and possibly try my z 180-600 or not.

Gitzo series 3 should be fine, also RRS TVC 24 or 33, roughly same price range.
Otherwise Benro, Leofoto or Feisol
Tips with wind : I hang my backpack under the tripod to increase stability, as mentioned there will be wind limit over which photo will simply not be possible at all.

My travel tripod is a series 2 Induro carbon fiber tripod. Each leg has four sections. For windy conditions I would use a series three tripod. Check out the different models by Benro if RRS and Gitzo are too expensive.

Your height and lenses to be used will have a big impact on what brand and model is best for you.

I have owned a RRS and a Pro Media Gear. They're both excellent. I'd still have the RRS, but I accidentally left it in the White Mountains in New Hampshire a few years ago. Your money goes a bit further with the PMG. You're not going to go wrong with a Gitzo, RRS, or PMG. But one thing to consider is the folded length and whether it will fit in your suitcase/s when flying.

I agree with the recommendations of Pro Media Gear and Really Right Stuff. Both are top quality companies that put engineering and delivering a quality product first. I use RRS tripods, gimbals, and ballheads.

I have three Gitzo tripods, but no longer recommend them. I have had a number of issues related to the quality of Gitzo products and difficulty in finding replacement parts. I've had tripod legs that came loose from the casting, the tripod platform falling completely off with my ballhead and camera attached, loose tripod feet, splits in shims, and a fractured leg casting. One of the things I learned was the tripod leg castings are thinner than the carbon fiber tubes and prone to fracture. I suspect Gitzo lost their way with efforts to reduce cost that impacted product quality.

One of the key factors in evaluating tripods is the diameter of the leg sections. The top leg section diameter is usually quite robust, but with each leg section the tube diameter gets smaller and smaller. If you have a 4 section tripod, the smallest leg section can be quite tiny. A Series 3 Gitzo tripod has leg sections that are 32.9mm / 29mm / 25.3mm / 21.7mm. A 2 Series Gitzo eliminates the 33mm top section and adds an 18mm lowest leg section. A Series 1 tripod adds a 14mm leg section - slightly thicker than a pencil. At it's full height, the lowest leg section may flex under load of a long lens and camera. Extended to half way reduces that problem and provides a more rigid tripod, so it is helpful to have a tall tripod.

You have a tough call. Normally stability is achieved through heavier weight, and the most common way to increase weight is to hang a bag or pack from the tripod hub. The problem is with higher winds, the hanging bag can act as a sail and catch the wind. You'll have to balance weight savings on the tripod with adequate mass to hold things steady.

I chose RRS because of the larger leg locks, teardrop shaped feet, a milled rather than cast hub, and due to the ability to easily get replacement parts and service when needed. It is slightly more expensive than a comparable Gitzo, but a much better design and construction.

Someone stated it well at the beginning of this thread, that a "travel tripod" will be a compromise in stability. I only use a full size Really Right Stuff tripod, whether I am traveling or not. However, I do not do long hikes so for your use a smaller travel tripod may indeed be what you need. I would suggest going to B&H and doing a search (they carry pretty much everything available) and read the reviews.

One thing about Really Right Stuff that no one has mentioned yet, they are made in the USA (not just designed or based in USA, but manufactured here as well). I don't know if that matters to you, but it does matter to some people (fair labor laws, respect of copyright, etc).

A few years ago The Center Column published a comparison of tripods based on stiffness, height, and weight. I found their approach to be interesting but overly simplistic. For example, I like a tall tripod to accommodate uneven terrain, so I wanted to penalize short tripods and reward tall tripods. The related factor of a tall tripod is a short tripod with the same tube size was always much stiffer even though the tall tripod could be set up shorter and stiffer rather than at maximum height. I also found that extremely light tripods were not really better, so I chose optimum weights rather than rewarding light weight only. Then I revised the weights for each factor to more appropriately balance stiffness, height, and weight based on my criteria. I separated travel tripods into a separate class based on modified height and weight factors - in other words, I assumed I would be willing to compromise if the requirement was a tripod for travel primarily.

Here is my list of travel tripods in rank order:
  1. RRS TFC-14
  2. FLM CP30-S4 II
  3. Gitzo GT1545T Traveler
  4. Feisol Classic CT-3301
  5. Leofoto LS-324C
  6. Feisol CT-3342
  7. RRS TQC-14
  8. Gitzo GT1532 Mountaineer
  9. Feisol CT-3442 Tournament
  10. LeoFoto LS-284C
There are many other tripod options, and I was using only the values that Center Column had tested. But as a group, these were the better tripods if light weight and portability was important. Note that there is a big dropoff in stiffness between the top 2-3 tripods and even the bottom of the top 10.

I have seen the impact of a cheap or poorly designed tripod. I was shooting side by side with another photographer. He had a new 500 f/4 lens on a D850 and could not get sharp images. We were testing side by side, and I noticed his camera was vibrating. Apparently, his older and cheaper tripod legs did not dampen vibration, and the difference in tripods was visible when they were sitting side by side. Even using a hand over the lens barrel - with long lens technique - the difference was visible could be seen on a video we recorded. By replacing the light tripod with a better model he already owned, his images were immediately very sharp and the issue was resolved.

The Center Column has subsequently broadened their rankings with a few additional tripods and separate rankings based on tripod class or purpose.

I agree with the recommendations of Pro Media Gear and Really Right Stuff. Both are top quality companies that put engineering and delivering a quality product first. I use RRS tripods, gimbals, and ballheads.

I have three Gitzo tripods, but no longer recommend them. I have had a number of issues related to the quality of Gitzo products and difficulty in finding replacement parts. I've had tripod legs that came loose from the casting, the tripod platform falling completely off with my ballhead and camera attached, loose tripod feet, splits in shims, and a fractured leg casting. One of the things I learned was the tripod leg castings are thinner than the carbon fiber tubes and prone to fracture. I suspect Gitzo lost their way with efforts to reduce cost that impacted product quality.

One of the key factors in evaluating tripods is the diameter of the leg sections. The top leg section diameter is usually quite robust, but with each leg section the tube diameter gets smaller and smaller. If you have a 4 section tripod, the smallest leg section can be quite tiny. A Series 3 Gitzo tripod has leg sections that are 32.9mm / 29mm / 25.3mm / 21.7mm. A 2 Series Gitzo eliminates the 33mm top section and adds an 18mm lowest leg section. A Series 1 tripod adds a 14mm leg section - slightly thicker than a pencil. At it's full height, the lowest leg section may flex under load of a long lens and camera. Extended to half way reduces that problem and provides a more rigid tripod, so it is helpful to have a tall tripod.

You have a tough call. Normally stability is achieved through heavier weight, and the most common way to increase weight is to hang a bag or pack from the tripod hub. The problem is with higher winds, the hanging bag can act as a sail and catch the wind. You'll have to balance weight savings on the tripod with adequate mass to hold things steady.

I chose RRS because of the larger leg locks, teardrop shaped feet, a milled rather than cast hub, and due to the ability to easily get replacement parts and service when needed. It is slightly more expensive than a comparable Gitzo, but a much better design and construction.
I can only speak from personal experience with my Gitzo tripod. I did buy it quite a number of years ago and it has been the only tripod I use. If you are concerned about recent experience check recent customer evaluations.

Recently I decided to do some maintenance on thee Gitzo, based on recommendations on line. I did maintenance not because it was having problems, I did it to protect the tripod and clean it from years of use in the field.

The maintenance involves taking it apart, cleaning the threads and tubes and adding some Silicone lubricant. Despite the tripod age I was able to order parts on line from a supplier located in England (I live in Seattle). Simple process, match the model number and tell them what you want.

Basically I ordered replacement internal Teflon sleeves and O rings. They shipped promptly and the parts, shipped from England, arrived within two days. Everything matched, the cleanup was pretty simple and easy and the tripod works as well as it did the day I got it. Total cost for all the parts was around $100.

There are other quality brands and I have heard good things about Really Right Stuff and Promediagear. My only point is if you buy quality you buy it once and it lasts a lifetime.

The Gitzo has always worked flawlessly for me. The leg rings lock and unlock smoothly and solidly. I think the system 3 weighs in the 4 lbs range which is not super lightweight but also not super heavy. I got the extra long model, I am tall to begin with and the extra length allows for flexibility when working on hills and uneven ground as wel as the abiity to shoot upwards from a comfortable position.

I have several tripods but reading you will have some pretty big lenses (100-400 & 180-600) on a pro body do i recommend something sturdy, especially indeed in windy conditions. The best of the best, with honours, is (for me) Gitzo, more specific the Systematic 3 or 4 series will do for that body & lens combo.
If you are however on a budget can you also look for a Benro Mammoth TMTH44C that also serves me well with the same kind of combo.

The tripod is only half the story as the ballhead is another important one. I have learned that cheaper is expensive in the long run as you will eventually purchase a second ballhead when you went cheap. There is the usual suspect RRS BH-55 but read here on this forum some good things on the Leofoto copy of the BH-55.

Yeah but remember that Karen is a short person. :):):):):)

(She is a good soul and knows I am joking)
Fooled ya! I use the "T" model! Fully extended with the camera mounted in portrait mode - I can press the shutter........IF I stand on tip toes! Comes in very handy when needing to point the camera UP.......or on stairways and other uneven surfaces.

I have several tripods but reading you will have some pretty big lenses (100-400 & 180-600) on a pro body do i recommend something sturdy, especially indeed in windy conditions. The best of the best, with honours, is (for me) Gitzo, more specific the Systematic 3 or 4 series will do for that body & lens combo.
If you are however on a budget can you also look for a Benro Mammoth TMTH44C that also serves me well with the same kind of combo.

The tripod is only half the story as the ballhead is another important one. I have learned that cheaper is expensive in the long run as you will eventually purchase a second ballhead when you went cheap. There is the usual suspect RRS BH-55 but read here on this forum some good things on the Leofoto copy of the BH-55.

Agreed on the ballhead. I started with an Acratech, which worked well for about 6 years. But it wore out and stopped holding the camera and lens without slipping. I wound up with an RRS BH-55. It’s been a big step up.

Back