z9 tripod upgrade

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A few years ago The Center Column published a comparison of tripods based on stiffness, height, and weight. I found their approach to be interesting but overly simplistic. For example, I like a tall tripod to accommodate uneven terrain, so I wanted to penalize short tripods and reward tall tripods. The related factor of a tall tripod is a short tripod with the same tube size was always much stiffer even though the tall tripod could be set up shorter and stiffer rather than at maximum height. I also found that extremely light tripods were not really better, so I chose optimum weights rather than rewarding light weight only. Then I revised the weights for each factor to more appropriately balance stiffness, height, and weight based on my criteria. I separated travel tripods into a separate class based on modified height and weight factors - in other words, I assumed I would be willing to compromise if the requirement was a tripod for travel primarily.

Here is my list of travel tripods in rank order:
  1. RRS TFC-14
  2. FLM CP30-S4 II
  3. Gitzo GT1545T Traveler
  4. Feisol Classic CT-3301
  5. Leofoto LS-324C
  6. Feisol CT-3342
  7. RRS TQC-14
  8. Gitzo GT1532 Mountaineer
  9. Feisol CT-3442 Tournament
  10. LeoFoto LS-284C
There are many other tripod options, and I was using only the values that Center Column had tested. But as a group, these were the better tripods if light weight and portability was important. Note that there is a big dropoff in stiffness between the top 2-3 tripods and even the bottom of the top 10.

I have seen the impact of a cheap or poorly designed tripod. I was shooting side by side with another photographer. He had a new 500 f/4 lens on a D850 and could not get sharp images. We were testing side by side, and I noticed his camera was vibrating. Apparently, his older and cheaper tripod legs did not dampen vibration, and the difference in tripods was visible when they were sitting side by side. Even using a hand over the lens barrel - with long lens technique - the difference was visible could be seen on a video we recorded. By replacing the light tripod with a better model he already owned, his images were immediately very sharp and the issue was resolved.

The Center Column has subsequently broadened their rankings with a few additional tripods and separate rankings based on tripod class or purpose.
Excellent list - wasn't aware of the RRS TFC-14 - besides a travel tripod, looks like a fantastic option for most people that aren't using the old and heavier F mount big glass.
Here's a nice review https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Really-Right-Stuff-TQC-14-TFC-14-Mk2-Tripod.aspx

Last edited:
I begin by saying I searched in the search engine and only 10 hits for z9 came up. I am going to the Faroe Islands in late 2025 so I'm looking to upgrade my tripod. My difficulty in searching is there are heaps of claims out there
I begin by saying I searched in the search engine and only 10 hits for z9 came up. I am going to the Faroe Islands in late 2025 so I'm looking to upgrade my tripod. My difficulty in searching is there are heaps of claims out there but I would think some of you have tripods that you know will work. I was thinking of a travel tripod, carbon fibre and stability in artic winds. Please correct my assumptions for those who have been. I've done the Google search of confusion so I'm asking for your help, please.
Thank you for all the replies as I'm overlooking online. For the present.

but I would think some of you have tripods that you know will work. I was thinking of a travel tripod, carbon fibre and stability in artic winds. Please correct my assumptions for those who have been. I've done the Google search of confusion so I'm asking for your help, please.
Thank you for all the replies as I'm overlooking online. For the present.
This is my tripod set up. Bag and tripod with gimbal. Works great with a 13lb lens and a d500. Has hook to hang weight from and is very tall if needed due to unlevel ground. I'm 6ft 2in and this is the tall model. They make shorter ones.

It's worth checking the usual suspects for used gear. Tripods don't come up that often, but you will see good deals on eBay. KEH has RRS tripods and ballheads from time to time - usually at 80-90% of current retail but often combined with a 5-10% off coupon and free shipping.

Once you buy a good tripod, it usually holds value pretty well. My 15 year old RRS BH-55 ballhead is worth about 80% of what I paid. I have an older Gitzo 3 series alloy tripod that I paid $280 for on eBay 18 years ago and is worth $260 now. My old GT3540LS is worth about $375-400 now - compared to $675 when I bought it new in 2008. On the other hand, cheap tripods or Chinese knock-offs depreciate a lot more and may not have a resale value. If you are patient, you can find deals on tripods here, on Nikonians, and on FredMiranda.

Before buying a light tripod in addition to a standard tripod, look closely at the actual weight savings. My RRS TVC 34L is reasonably light, and I'd have to drop 1.5 pounds to justify a different tripod and ballhead. My old Gitzo tripod is 8 ounces lighter, and paired with a BH-40 head saves about a full pound. Saving another pound beyond that is a more challenging task and rather expensive for just 1-1.5 pounds.

Back