Z9 video of Yellow Crowned night Herons

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wes great video! Any suggestions on Video settings for a first time video shooter? I have never taken a video before, either on my Z9 or a DSLR.
For your first time Id say shoot in 10 bit 4k and turn on "extended oversampling" If youre not afraid of the RAW footage set it to RAW normal quality and take advantage of the 4.1k and 5.4k crop shooting. The 5.4k is a 2.3X crop.... that puts a 300mm lens just short of 700mm!!!! Only issue Ive found with shooting RAW is card sizes. Best advice I can give you is start playing.... with the camera and whatever editing software you choose to use.

What would you like to know?
Thanks. Can you tell me:
-what codec you shot this in
-what lens(es)
-what framerate and shutter speeds
-what computer you are running Davinci on and the video card used, especially if you are shooting RAW 8k
-what basic grading, sharpening etc. did you do in Davinci?
-did you shoot handheld at all or mostly supported. Any slides or fancy stuff?

Thanks!

h265 10 bit
600mm f4E
all shot at 120fps 1/250th - 1/320thss
intel 10900k with a 3070ti
not much color grading a little contrast here and there i put a sharpening layer over the whole video in processing
it was mostly shot from a floating platform, a few shots are from a tripod and fluid head in the water

h265 10 bit
600mm f4E
all shot at 120fps 1/250th - 1/320thss
intel 10900k with a 3070ti
not much color grading a little contrast here and there i put a sharpening layer over the whole video in processing
it was mostly shot from a floating platform, a few shots are from a tripod and fluid head in the water
Thanks very much Wes, great job. BTW, if you want to see what NRAW 8k.60 looks like, take a look at this guy:
. View it on the best screen you have! (Edit: And wait for the Walrus just after the 3.00 mark)

The 5.4k is a 2.3X crop.... that puts a 300mm lens just short of 700mm
I know, there is so many questions about your excellent oscar-herons! ;-)
do I need to set the crop before shootinf in 5.4k or is it done automatically? I assume, I need to set a crop, right?
And one more question: what fps in timeline are you using? actually I don't understand that timeline in respect for fps. If I shoot in 30, 60 and 120 fps and use let's say a 30fps timeline then actually I can leave 60fps as it is and it will be rendering into output fps or I can make it slower to match 30fps, right? The same with 120fps. I must not to slow it, there is no must but only can. Am I right? And what shall I do with audio? another timeline? Is your timeline 24 fps or 30 fps? I mean, your output video? where can I find how many % shall I slow down to mutch the particular outputing fps?
Can you recommend some video- or other tutorials?
Did you also use drohne or just hyperlaps? And GoPro under water or just a phone?

I know, there is so many questions about your excellent oscar-herons! ;-)
do I need to set the crop before shootinf in 5.4k or is it done automatically? I assume, I need to set a crop, right?
And one more question: what fps in timeline are you using? actually I don't understand that timeline in respect for fps. If I shoot in 30, 60 and 120 fps and use let's say a 30fps timeline then actually I can leave 60fps as it is and it will be rendering into output fps or I can make it slower to match 30fps, right? The same with 120fps. I must not to slow it, there is no must but only can. Am I right? And what shall I do with audio? another timeline? Is your timeline 24 fps or 30 fps? I mean, your output video? where can I find how many % shall I slow down to mutch the particular outputing fps?
Can you recommend some video- or other tutorials?
Did you also use drohne or just hyperlaps? And GoPro under water or just a phone?
The crop is applied automatically when you choose the 5.4k. when using raw footage make sure to link the raw clip to the 1080 proxy that the z9 generates. That will make the raw footage edit almost as easy as 1080.

I set my timeline for what i plan to export at, in this case UHD 30fps.... you then have to select "clip attributes" for each clip you want to slow down and set the fps to 30. The footage will then play in slow mo. If you want to play it in regular speed you just have to speed it up and apply a little bit of motion blur to compensate for the faster shutter speed used. The timeline will add or remove frames from clips to play them in real time unless the clips FPS is changed in attributes. Unless that is done any 120fps footage will have 3 out of 4 frames thrown out by the timeline, then when you try to slow it down it will look choppy. It may sound complicated but its pretty simple. If you need a visual guide I could work something up tonight to explain what i mean.

when using raw footage
I think, I will not use the raw footage at the moment ... I think there are two RAWs on z9 (RAW and N-Log). I am a beginner and want to work in step by step. To link RAW to the 1080 proxy sonds for me very complicated. Definitely, RAW will give more dynamic range. I will work with Flat profile and try to figure out how the video-making works at all. Like, for example, the frame rates and time line. It was difficult for me to decide what base fps to shoot at all. I was thinking between 24fps and 30fps. I decided for 30fps because I will shoot animals and birds. 24fps look very cinematic but I think there is too much motion blur for animal movements.
And when there is an action then I need to go for 60 or 120fps. Then there was a question about using 60/120fps footage on 30-timeline without slow-motion (part without and part with). That is why I asked. :) Perhaps, you have some links to tutorials?

I think, I will not use the raw footage at the moment ... I think there are two RAWs on z9 (RAW and N-Log). I am a beginner and want to work in step by step. To link RAW to the 1080 proxy sonds for me very complicated. Definitely, RAW will give more dynamic range. I will work with Flat profile and try to figure out how the video-making works at all. Like, for example, the frame rates and time line. It was difficult for me to decide what base fps to shoot at all. I was thinking between 24fps and 30fps. I decided for 30fps because I will shoot animals and birds. 24fps look very cinematic but I think there is too much motion blur for animal movements.
And when there is an action then I need to go for 60 or 120fps. Then there was a question about using 60/120fps footage on 30-timeline without slow-motion (part without and part with). That is why I asked. :) Perhaps, you have some links to tutorials?
N-LOG is really a picture profile. Youll need an ND filter to shoot in log unless its very low light. The base ISO in LOG is 800. Linking the proxy is VERY easy. in the media window right click on the raw footage and select "link proxy" then double click on the 1080 proxy file that should be right beside the raw file wherever you have that stored. Using a flat profile MIGHT make more work for you. Id suggest using whatever picture profile you shoot stills with, that will get you close enough that you might not need any color grading. I would only shoot 30fps for very slow animals....even then I might shoot at 50fps and slow it down to 30fps to give it a more dreamy look. Most dramatic footage looks best slowed down a touch. If you shoot at 30 fps you limit yourself in post because it cant really be slowed down. I dont have any links i could share unfortunately as most of what ive found ive just googled or learned through trial and error. If you think the video portion is complicated wait till you start getting into the sound! The video I made has sounds I recorded specifically to add to the slow motion clips.

Back