z9 viewfinder jumps to the right when shooting

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've had my z9 for a few weeks now, after the recall, but I've noticed that when shooting and looking through the viewfinder, the image jumps slightly to the right. The images are sharp when looking at them, but it is becoming a bit annoying that this occurs. My wife started using the camera lately and remarked about the same thing. I don't use the back screen so I don't know if it happens there and we haven't ever noticed this with any other DSLR or mirrorless brand. Anyone see the same thing?

I've had my z9 for a few weeks now, after the recall, but I've noticed that when shooting and looking through the viewfinder, the image jumps slightly to the right. The images are sharp when looking at them, but it is becoming a bit annoying that this occurs. My wife started using the camera lately and remarked about the same thing. I don't use the back screen so I don't know if it happens there and we haven't ever noticed this with any other DSLR or mirrorless brand. Anyone see the same thing?
Make sure your VR mode is set to Sport and not Normal as Normal mode will result in the image jumping while shooting a burst of images.

Make sure your VR mode is set to Sport and not Normal as Normal mode will result in the image jumping while shooting a burst of images.
OK, so I guess I need to pay a bit more attention to the forum because I'm sure this came up long ago. I'm using a 500pf lens so I grabbed it, switched it to Sport and my problem is resolved. I noticed that the Off setting works also, but Mr. Shaky here needs all the help he can get. Thanks so much for the quick reply!

OK, so I guess I need to pay a bit more attention to the forum because I'm sure this came up long ago. I'm using a 500pf lens so I grabbed it, switched it to Sport and my problem is resolved. I noticed that the Off setting works also, but Mr. Shaky here needs all the help he can get. Thanks so much for the quick reply!
Yeah, there was a Nikon technical tip about this back in the D500 time frame but it still holds true today. The Z9 manual mentions using Sport mode for action but makes the issue seem like a little viewfinder jiggle, which is what it might be when shooting single frames. But when shooting action bursts in Normal VR mode the VR lens group is re-centered between each shot in the burst and the image jumps in the viewfinder.

Here's the D500 tech tip to describe when to use each mode: https://nps.nikonimaging.com/techni...lutions/d500_tips/useful/vibration_reduction/

Back