Z9 why Z lenses vs F Mount, would you save the money? Which would you chose?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I haven't used either of these lenses, but based upon other's reviews and comments, and for the Z9, I'd opt for the Z 800 f/6.3 unless I absolutely had to have the f/5.6 aperture. And between f6.3 and f/5.6, there really isn't a whole lot of difference there to begin with. The one factor that would drive me to the F-Mount 800mm f/5.6 would be a requirement that I be able to use it with a Nikon DXXX camera.

Bottom line, were I purchasing a Nikon 800 mm lens for my Z9, I'd get the Z version.

Based on the your links (your post got a bit clobbered it seems) - a new 800 PF is $3500 cheaper than a used 800 5.6.... What's the question? Is it worth paying this much less for a Z mount? :)

I’ve not used either lens but I use native Z glass in other focal lengths. The question to me is why wouldn’t you go for the Z glass? It’s made from the ground up for the Z bodies, have been sharper and will be long lived as a Z Mount option.

I’m sure the f-Mount glass is fantastic, but why buy yesterday’s great glass when today’s great glass is available and arguably the better investment?

I have both 800's, and the following provides more detail on the f5.6E, as there's already much discussion on the f6.3S PF. My reasons are backup/redundancy and priority need to have access to this excellent super telephoto on either DSLRs, or a Z9, with all the advantages of reach etc. It is also 2 primes in one with its bespoke TC125.

My intensive experience with the 800 PF in mid 2022 confirmed my earlier findings using a 400 f2.8+TC2 over 3+ years... There're remarkable and unique benefits of the longer telephoto reach with an 800 rig. Thereafter I resolved never to be caught out if my 800 PF is compromised.... so took the plunge mid 2022 on a Used 800 f5.6E FL.

As the Used markets changed through 2022 in the rush to the Z9 and all the new fantastic Z Glass, this 800 f5.6E copy cost almost the same Used as the new 800 PF! The retailer was overwhelmed with big glass that was not moving as it had until very recently! There has been an unprecedented flood of Used telephotos, notably exotics, into the local Used market.

I'm still compare my copies thoroughly on subjects representative of how I photograph wildlife - especially to ascertain how the 3 F TC combinations perform on the 800 f5.6E. So far I find they are all reliable in decent atmospheric conditions on the Z9, but provided one doesn't need to crop/push extreme subject distances.

This legendary prime that's the 800 f5.6E has the better IQ IME (but it's a close call against the 800 PF) and it's in the league of the 400 f2.8E FL, in fact, the high IQ of the 800 f5.6E doesn't drop IME with its bespoke TC125 as a 1000 f7.1. The D6 confers the advantage in lowlight as it still focuses with TC14 as a 1120 f8 (it's f9 with the 800 PF + ZTC14).

BUT it's heavy (4.6kg+camera) and long, especially with the big hood! However a ~6kg rig is manageable in a vehicle but demands due care and planning.

The prevailing light levels can be a challenge - even in the tropics particularly with a Teleconverter on either 8 Hundred. This leopard-crocodile encounter taken @ 1/400 on a beanbag was under low cloud, and it did not culminate in fast action; as the cat lost interest. He wandered off to relax and yawn and groom as cats do! Otherwise, I would have been forced to push the ISO up to 12800 or higher to try and freeze the frames at f13.

As the day heats up in savannas, Heat haze is a too frequent a hazard with any telephoto. This applies especially with shooting over bare earth and rock, basalts especially (equally calcretes in the Kalahari or Etosha). So it becomes frustrating with a 800mm especially, let alone pushing out to 1120 or 1600mm.

Obviously the 800 PF is the optic of choice for hiking etc. I also can confirm the well known fact that the Z TCs are the sharper. They also have the much tighter fit in the bayonet mounts. There's plenty of Discussion with examples here on BCG demonstrating its optical excellence. Two relevant thread fyi

Last edited:
Answers to the title of this thread ie "Why Z Glass overall?" become technical if we compare mount geometry etc. Nikon engineers designed the Z mount specification [2 part interview] with ambitious goals, including to meet future video demands and highest quality Autofocus etc besides optimal optical designs for imaging.

Basically, whenever one compares a Z vs F mount of the same niche, ie focal length, the closest pairs in lens speed, we see the Z Nikkor is sharper wide open, focuses more quietly, and weighs less. This edge to edge sharpness is largely explains why f1.8 is the "New f1.4".

We see these advantages clearly in the UWides. They're exemplified in the light 14-30 f4S that fits 82mm screw-in filters, and the superb 14-24 f2.8S. Another example is the 24-120 f4S - much improved optically compared to the most recent F mount equivalent etc

For telephotos, Nikon has produced several surprises, which many of us find hard to resist. The 800 f6.3S PF is the pertinent example here; so is the 400 f4.5S in how engineers took advantage of the Z mount for its novel design with a smaller, lighter product: even without a PhaseFresnel technology. Most of these are unique with no close F mount equivalents. The Z Teleconverters further underscore advantages of the new glass.

Personal choice is down to finance primarily, and equally if one plans to continue using DSLRs. And OTTH there are several F mount optics that stand out as unique, particularly in the Macro and PCE niches. Two are the 200 f4 and 70-180, which are both screwdriver AF, so cannot autofocus on a Z camera.

Moreover, Used F Nikkors are selling at attractive prices. The AFS models give more precise focus on Z cameras, which also obviates AF fine-tuning. The F mount TCs also perform better on MILCs. Tricky decisions!

Last edited:
Back