Zemlin lens cap for Nikon Z 800PF do they work?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Nikon Z 800PF lens and I am not so keen on the padded lens hood design. It is fine for when the lens is in the camera bag, but I feel it is too easy to drop when carrying the lens. I found the Zemlin replacement lens cap which sounds ideal to protect the front element. My question is as Nikon did not design the front of the lens to take a lens cap and the rim is very narrow does the back of the Zemlin lens cap touch the glass on the front of the lens?

I have a Nikon Z 800PF lens and I am not so keen on the padded lens hood design. It is fine for when the lens is in the camera bag, but I feel it is too easy to drop when carrying the lens. I found the Zemlin replacement lens cap which sounds ideal to protect the front element. My question is as Nikon did not design the front of the lens to take a lens cap and the rim is very narrow does the back of the Zemlin lens cap touch the glass on the front of the lens?
I'm using the Zemlin cap on the 800PF. Works great.

Had a look in those threads and found a reply by the creator saying it grips the rubber ring. Sounds promising but it is going to have to have very little plastic behind the catches so as not to touch the glass. Think I will order one to try.
Just follow the installations very carefully. The instructions are well written.....so you shouldn't have any problems.

I've been using one on my 800mm PF for a number of months - it's great. Very well made and fits perfectly. Much better than the Nikon caps or cheap knock-offs.

Just received a Zemlim cap today for my SONY 600 mm F/4. I like the looks of it, fits well and stays put. I have had a DonZeck cap which is sturdy enough but the cap's handle impinges on the inside of the lens case and sometimes interferes with shutting it. But either cap is an improvement - in my opinion - over the soft-boot cap that SONY provides with the lens.

Life is never easy is it! KASE make a UV filter for the Nikon 800PF that comes with a lens cap. The Zemlin lens cap not does fit if you attach the KASE filter ring to the 800 PF lens. A UV filter sounds handy when working by the sea to keep salt spray at bay, but the price of that KASE filiter is out of this world.

I 3D printed a lens cap shortly after receiving my 800mm lens and it works great! I sent one to @Steve Steve as well.
800mm pf Lens Cap TPU-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Just got my 800pf and immediately realized the stock hood was an issue. I looked at Zemlin as recommended by many here but they are out of stock. So does anyone know of an alternative? Thanks
He is closed till June and my guess will be that he will be swamped when he returns (since so many 800mm lenses have recently been sent out). Looks like a potential business for someone who knows how to 3D print!

I 3D printed a lens cap shortly after receiving my 800mm lens and it works great! I sent one to @Steve Steve as well. View attachment 59039
Yup, I love mine and thanks again!

The cap is so much better than trying to wrangle the soft one that comes with the lens. I use it all the time and it's been great! In fact, it's on my lens right now :)

Just got my 800pf and immediately realized the stock hood was an issue. I looked at Zemlin as recommended by many here but they are out of stock. So does anyone know of an alternative? Thanks
Look at Steve's comment above. I 3D printed my 800pf lens cover and sent one to him. They work great! If interested direct message me and I'll discuss details. Very easy to put on and take off -> see picture above in this thread.

Back