Zemlin vs Nikon

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've always considered the hood being able to push past the ring to be a feature, not a flaw. In a hood-strike the hood can give and absorb energy rather than having the full shock transferred straight to the lens. When the hood's been pushed past you can get it back over the ring by aligning one of the cams in the hood with a slot on the front of the ring. The first one passes over pretty easily. The second one might take a little pull to get it over the back of the ring. Once you have two through the rest is easy.

I have a lot going on this weekend. Later in the week I'll try to put a quick/dirty video together showing the processes of getting the hood over the ring if pushed past.

I understand the theory, however I believe it happens too easily. First time was not a big drop, second time I'm don't even know how it happened. Appreciate the instruction on dealing with it.

Good marketing however if you impact the lens would you rather the force be transfered to the entire lens or the hood give way and it becomes a strike to the glass? As a sun shade anything works but it you're expecting the hood to protect the glass then you wouldn't want it to give way.

I understand the theory, however I believe it happens too easily. First time was not a big drop, second time I'm don't even know how it happened. Appreciate the instruction on dealing with it.
Check that the back of the grooves did not break away in the first strike. I've replaced a couple of rings for that reason. It should not be easy to push the hood out of the grooves. Email me or message from the site if you find anything suspect on the ring. I'll take care of it.

Last edited:
Good marketing however if you impact the lens would you rather the force be transfered to the entire lens or the hood give way and it becomes a strike to the glass? As a sun shade anything works but it you're expecting the hood to protect the glass then you wouldn't want it to give way.
It's not a claim I make in marketing. It's my thoughts on the design. This is probably the first place I've ever made mention of it. The reason for the angles is to optimize the design for 3D printing. I can't make the angles steeper without compromising the 3D printing process. I don't claim to make a perfect product. I just make the absolute best I can with the tools I have. The vast majority of my customers are thrilled with the products they get from me. Thanks for the feedback.

I just does not It's not a claim I make in marketing. It's my thoughts on the design. This is probably the first place I've ever made mention of it. The reason for the angles is to optimize the design for 3D printing. I can't make the angles steeper without compromising the 3D printing process. I don't claim to make a perfect product. I just make the absolute best I can with the tools I have. The vast majority of my customers are thrilled with the products they get from me. Thanks for the feedback.
It just does not get better than your gear. No only are the hoods a wonderful product, but you've saved my glasses from getting all scratched up with the awful OEM nikon viewfinder covers for the Z8/Z9. Your hood, on my 400/2.8TC is so much easier to use, and not hard to setup. Your viewfinder covers are infinately better! Couldn't be happier! Chris.

The junky lens hood that came on my Nikon 500 PF has about seen it's last day. I have to make a decision on replacement. The Nikon hood is $60 compared to Zemlin at $135.

Is the difference in price worth it?

The Nikon has a lock preventing it from rotating and falling off, does the Zemlin?

Zemlin offers the hood in two lengths. Obviously the shorter the better in the bag but wonder if anyone has seem a real advantage to the longer hood?

I would appreciate feedback from any that may have walked this path, thanks!

Terry
I loved my 500 PF and never had an issue with my hood. Flares were never much of a issue for all my shots. I picked up the 800PF in August and hated the bag lens cap (which is so big and cumbersome) and the enormous hood (which is much larger than my 500 and adds to an already long lens). I initially shopped for the lens cap, and ended up going for the two piece hood also. I love them both. They are both far better than Nikon lens caps and hoods. They are made with a composite that has a much heftier feel to them. I love the two piece hood. It does not have a "lock" , but the way it's constructed and the "heftiness" of the plastic, It is not going anywhere. In fact it takes two hands and a greater amount of torque to remove the hood. I have only used the first section and have never had the need to attach the second piece. ( Remember- I got this in the fall and haven't shot with the lens during the summer.) I love the shorter hood and knowing I can quickly screw on the second piece when the demand calls for it. Karl Zemlin produces superior products and if you're keeping your 500PF ( I will never let my 500PF go. it's such a great lens) I urge you to consider the Zemilin. I give Zemlin a two thumbs up. I don't think you need to get the lens cap tho- the 800PF lacks the threads for a UV filter and I want something to protect the lens.
So - I am suggesting look beyond the price and judge the quality. I have thousands invested in my equipment- there is no price on quality- Zemlin is superior quality in my opinion. Stay Well Be Kind GM

It's not a claim I make in marketing. It's my thoughts on the design. This is probably the first place I've ever made mention of it. The reason for the angles is to optimize the design for 3D printing. I can't make the angles steeper without compromising the 3D printing process. I don't claim to make a perfect product. I just make the absolute best I can with the tools I have. The vast majority of my customers are thrilled with the products they get from me. Thanks for the feedback.
I just saw your reply, and I think you are too modest. My Zemlin cap and hood are far more superior to Nikon's. Now, If you could figure out a way to manufacture a UV filter for the 800PF, I'd be on that list. And yes, you can count me in with the " thrilled"

I have previously bought an eyecup for Nikon z9 and I already had a zemlin cap for my 800mm pf.

I just took delivery on a second eyecup for my second z9 and for the first time tried one of his lens hood for my z 400 f4,5 as well as a lens cap for that lens.

I was so satisfied with the quality of the lens hood that I decided to add a two piece lens hood for the 800mm pf as well.

I will say all of their products are far better than what Nikon provides.

The eyecups are the right combination of strength, balance and compressibility. they also work far better with glasses.

The lens caps are solid and reliable. They go on firmly, they stay on.

The hoods. Very special. Really easy to get on and off and stay firmly in place.

Needless to say I am very pleased with everything I have gotten from Zemlin

Strongly recommended.

Back