Zemlin vs Nikon

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Terry

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The junky lens hood that came on my Nikon 500 PF has about seen it's last day. I have to make a decision on replacement. The Nikon hood is $60 compared to Zemlin at $135.

Is the difference in price worth it?

The Nikon has a lock preventing it from rotating and falling off, does the Zemlin?

Zemlin offers the hood in two lengths. Obviously the shorter the better in the bag but wonder if anyone has seem a real advantage to the longer hood?

I would appreciate feedback from any that may have walked this path, thanks!

Terry

The 500 mm PF was my most used wildlife lens for a number of years. A great lens. The only thing I did not like about it was the Nikon lens hood. It was often hard to put on and take off the lens.

I had heard good things about Zemlin hoods, so I bought one for the 500 mm PF. I got one that was about the same length as the Nikon hood, if I recall, so not the shorter version. (Sold the 500 mm PF with both the Nikon lens hood and Zemlin lens hood last year after ordering the Z 600 mm PF.)

The Zemlin hood does not have a locking lever. But it snaps into place and stays put. I found it was easy to put on the lens and take off. A great improvement over the Nikon hood. I think you’ll like it.

I’ve liked Zemlin hoods enough that I have bought them for my other Z long telephotos.

I tend to prefer longer hoods over shorter ones. Better protection from flare, rain, snow and salt spray. But I have also bought two-piece lens hoods for a couple of my larger Z telephotos, to have a choice between longer and shorter (using both pieces or just one) and because the two-piece hoods nest together and are smaller to put in my duffel for air travel.

I use the Zemlin hood on my Z 600mm and love it. It twists on securely and has never been loose at all. Highly recommended. I also have their eye cups for both my cameras.

I have a Zemlin hood on my OM 150-400/4.5. The hood slipped over the ring a couple times on a recent birding tour. First time it took a short drop (few inches) while I was setting the kit hood down. Don't know what happened the second occasion. It's a real pain to get the hood back over the ring. Very disappointing. I believe there was another user here that had the same issue.

I have the 500PF and use the stock hood (HB-84) which has seen lots of use and still works fine. I have no complaints and would replace it with the same Nikon hood despite being a very happy Zemlin customer with Zemlin eye cups on two Z bodies and Zemlin hoods and lens caps for 800PF and 600VR TC. I would replace the 500PF hood with same and spend the savings on other items from Karl Zemlin.

I appreciate the feedback. Guess I was hoping for a rave review telling me how much greater the Zemlin is at twice the price! Sounds like another Nikon hood is in my future. Thanks again!

My Zemlin hood for the 500PF works great - I like having it a bit longer than the Nikon HB-84, and in my use it feels more robust and is helpful in the rain or snow to reduce water on the lens during an outdoor shoot. Locks perfectly via snap-in mechanism, mounts in reverse, etc. I'm happy I got it.

I have the 500PF and use the stock hood (HB-84) which has seen lots of use and still works fine. I have no complaints and would replace it with the same Nikon hood despite being a very happy Zemlin customer with Zemlin eye cups on two Z bodies and Zemlin hoods and lens caps for 800PF and 600VR TC. I would replace the 500PF hood with same and spend the savings on other items from Karl Zemlin.
I also went with the OEM lens hood when my 500PF lens hood needed replacing after a number of years of heavy use.

I have Zemlin eyecups on both my Z8 and Z9 and really like them, and I plan to order one of his lens caps for my 600F4 TC

I highly recommend them. They are much easier to install than Nikon hoods and do not fall off. Plus if they are damaged, they are much cheaper to replace

I have a Zemlin hood on my OM 150-400/4.5. The hood slipped over the ring a couple times on a recent birding tour. First time it took a short drop (few inches) while I was setting the kit hood down. Don't know what happened the second occasion. It's a real pain to get the hood back over the ring. Very disappointing. I believe there was another user here that had the same issue.
Same has happened to me this week on my 600 6.3.
I think it’s because the bayonet mounts on Nikon hoods have sharp corners (90 degrees), whereas the Zemlin hoods (and fixing ring) have slightly bevelled edges.
It happened as I was loading the camera/lens combo into a bag.

I had a 500PF for a couple years, then sold it when I went mirrorless. At one point I dropped the camera and lens and although everything still worked, the hood became very difficult (nearly impossible) to get on and off, especially if stored in the reverse position. So I ended up leaving it on in the forward position all the time. As I said this was a result of a drop, so I have no idea if another hood would have fared better or if I had bought a Zemlin replacement if it would go on and off better (though I suspect so).

I'm assuming you've tried a tiny bit of WD-40 on a rag and wipe the contact surfaces (keeping well away from the glass, of course)? I do this every few months and it makes a big difference. :) I've heard graphite works well ,too.

Highly recommend the Zemlin two piece hood. Very functional and sturdy. I usually only use one piece:
IMG_8744.jpeg

I do not know the specifics of that lens. But I have talked one person who had this happen and they did not know how to make sure the Zemlin was clicked into place and that is what happened in their case. Did you contact Zemlin?

I do not know the specifics of that lens. But I have talked one person who had this happen and they did not know how to make sure the Zemlin was clicked into place and that is what happened in their case. Did you contact Zemlin?
No. It happened recently on the first tour I used it on and been busy since I returned. The hood was clicked into place.

No. It happened recently on the first tour I used it on and been busy since I returned. The hood was clicked into place.
Good luck contact Karl as soon as you can. The only Zemlin hood I have is the two piece for the Z800 and it is a whole different animal than the stock Nikon hood. The Zemlin has it's own mounting beefy mounting ring and when locked in place it is not going anywhere until I unlock it :) The snap on cap for the Z800 is probably my favorite Zemlin accessory replacing the stock draw string bag.

Back