Zenfolio forcing archiving on all accounts.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have spent a few hours today writing up what I discovered. You can find the write-up here.

Thanks very much for your research and write-up. I realize you're not Zenfolio support, but your article stated "You can view your archived galleries in the new Archive tool in the Zenfolio dashboard." I can't for the life of me find a "dashboard" or an archive tool. Can you (or anyone) point me in the right direction? When I sign-on and go to "Photos" then "All", there are 8 options presented in the "Organizer" section, followed by my list of galleries.

DanCarr said:

I have spent a few hours today writing up what I discovered. You can find the write-up here.

Thanks very much for your research and write-up. I realize you're not Zenfolio support, but your article stated "You can view your archived galleries in the new Archive tool in the Zenfolio dashboard." I can't for the life of me find a "dashboard" or an archive tool. Can you (or anyone) point me in the right direction? When I sign-on and go to "Photos" then "All", there are 8 options presented in the "Organizer" section, followed by my list of galleries.

@DanCarr :

I'm wondering if you work for or are paid by Zenfolio. I noticed you joined the forum the day after I created the original critical post about Zenfolio. Since that time, you have only created seven posts, all of them in this thread, trying to convince folks that what Zenfolio did is really not so bad. That and driving traffic to your blog which also paints a fairly positive image of Zenfolio.

Don't get me wrong - you are of course welcome here - everyone is. It just seems odd that this is the only activity in which you have demonstrated an interest so if you are paid to promote or assist Zenfolio, I think you should be up front about it.

If I'm wrong, I certainly apologize and I'll stop believing my lying eyes. I mean no offense to you or anyone with this post; I'm simply curious.

I had difficulty finding it as well. From the page you are on listing your galleries, click on any one of them to open the gallery. Then click on Access. Archive is the second item on the list under Privacy. It shows the current archive status of that gallery.
Hope this helps.

I had difficulty finding it as well. From the page you are on listing your galleries, click on any one of them to open the gallery. Then click on Access. Archive is the second item on the list under Privacy. It shows the current archive status of that gallery.
Hope this helps.
OK, but at the risk of splitting hairs, doesn't that item tell you whether the gallery is eligible to be archived? I'm trying to find out which galleries have already been archived. And with 750 galleries, it's simply not a practical answer anyway. I might be OK with the auto-arching concept if I had reasonable tools to manage what's archived. I think it's time for a single-malt...

OK, but at the risk of splitting hairs, doesn't that item tell you whether the gallery is eligible to be archived? I'm trying to find out which galleries have already been archived. And with 750 galleries, it's simply not a practical answer anyway. I might be OK with the auto-arching concept if I had reasonable tools to manage what's archived. I think it's time for a single-malt...
I understand, but have they archived ANY of your galleries yet? I certainly left a few of mine vulnerable to them being automatically archived but those galleries now indicate they'll be archived in late 2024. The problem as I see it is there is no way to determine the archive status without looking at each individual gallery. With 750, yikes!
I'm a bourbon man myself but appreciate a good single malt :cool:.....

I have been with Zenfolio since 2007 professionally as a wedding/portrait/motorsports photographer...I have to agree that they are doing this to help make the site faster, which is quite slow these days....but archiving also saves them money since I'm guessing the servers/rentals will cost less. The other issue is the hosting of more video's which they did not use to allow. Example...I have a friend who has more than 71 thousand high res landscape images on Flickr, pays 79.00 a year, with no issues, aka Smug Mug. So there is really no use for them to reason doing this other than to make more profit without upgrading their system. If I was able to easily batch move my images to a different provider I would...but that's not easy. They allow batch uploading, but not downloading. Like someone else said, many of my sales come from older images. They are in the process of archiving some of my galleries, so I am not sure exactly how it all works till they are done. BTW after they archive your gallery, you can bring it back by requesting to...the catch is apparently they are resizing them to a lower resolution than originally uploaded, which again saves them space/speed.

Last edited:
I understand, but have they archived ANY of your galleries yet? I certainly left a few of mine vulnerable to them being automatically archived but those galleries now indicate they'll be archived in late 2024. The problem as I see it is there is no way to determine the archive status without looking at each individual gallery. With 750, yikes!
I'm a bourbon man myself but appreciate a good single malt :cool:.....
Yes they have already done a few of my albums...be aware that you can request to unarchive them, but apparently they are resizing them to a lower resolution.

Where did you hear about them resizing images when reviving an archived gallery? This is the first I have heard of it.

--Ken
I did not hear of it, it is happening to my site right now. When I requested the gallery be unarchived they are now all smaller. But the original can still be downloaded, just when you do a slideshow or the customer clicks on individual images they are all resized. looks like 1024.

I did not hear of it, it is happening to my site right now. When I requested the gallery be unarchived they are now all smaller. But the original can still be downloaded, just when you do a slideshow or the customer clicks on individual images they are all resized. looks like 1024.
Thanks. Well, at least the originals can still be downloaded. I would be nervous if they messed with the originals. I renewed just before they announced the changes so I have a bit of time to see if I can find a better solution for my needs.

--Ken

Just wondering if any zenfolio users have switched to other services, and if so what their experience was like. I recently discovered that zenfolio published a downloader program, and it seems to work. After going through a length restore process followed by several attempts to get the downloader to process all galleries without throwing an error, I was able to get a copy of the JPGs from my site, preserving the folder structure. If there are any sites that can accept an upload of a folder structure, I'd be very interested in making a switch.

Here's the link to the downloader info on zenfolio's site: zenfolio downloader

Well, Zen has finally got things somewhat back to normal for now. After contacting them complaining numerous times about disappearing images awaiting archiving moves. And BTW, anyone who thinks so called old images from 20+ years ago are worthless for any reason or are not really needed...you need to know great images are timeless and will always be receptive to others seeing them and or purchasing prints ! I have sold a bunch of 20-30 year old landscape prints to many, businesses, healthcare offices, hospitals, homes, websites and restaurants.

I've had a Zenfolio subscription since 2012, the mid-level version, not the cheapest. I am a wildlife and travel photographer. I had many galleries (about 20) on Zenfolio dating from 2012-2023, but when I went yesterday to look at them I discovered that most have been removed. The site doesn't even say they are archived. A few months ago it took me about a week to get an archived gallery restored and then the photos looked terrible. It isn't even clear why a few have escaped deletion. My private family galleries, some of which date back over a hundred years, are also gone. As I understand from this thread, my galleries should have been grandfathered, but that doesn't seem to have happened. I contacted Zenfolio and am waiting for their response.

I've had a Zenfolio subscription since 2012, the mid-level version, not the cheapest. I am a wildlife and travel photographer. I had many galleries (about 20) on Zenfolio dating from 2012-2023, but when I went yesterday to look at them I discovered that most have been removed. The site doesn't even say they are archived. A few months ago it took me about a week to get an archived gallery restored and then the photos looked terrible. It isn't even clear why a few have escaped deletion. My private family galleries, some of which date back over a hundred years, are also gone. As I understand from this thread, my galleries should have been grandfathered, but that doesn't seem to have happened. I contacted Zenfolio and am waiting for their response.
My frustration with Zen and this frankly idiotic idea to take down galleries has increased dramatically since last weekend. I had been managing the archived galleries by going into the archive tool, and restoring every archived gallery. It was almost bearable. But this weekend I encountered 150 galleries in the process of being archived, and I couldn't even click the "Restore" button. It's now Thursday, and not one of those 150 galleries has completed the restore process, and emails to support are being ignored. BTW, I didn't notice any quality degradation in restored galleries -- maybe because I only upload smallish jpgs. The restore does NOT restore photos selected as cover photos, which is another significant failure of the entire archiving concept IMO.

Fortunately, a couple of months ago I discovered the Zenfolio Downloader, and downloaded every one of my galleries. I'm in the process of evaluating a photo hosting site "PhotoDeck" and have begun uploading sections of my site to their platform. I investigated at least 6-8 other alternatives, and none of them offered exactly what I was looking for. PhotoDeck has a few downsides, but at the moment I think that's where I'm going to land when my Zen subscription expires in a couple of months.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be seeing the Archive tool, it's right there on the main "photos" page for me.

Archive tool is taking ages to restore my galleries, it has been hours now and very few are restored. I am interested in opinions from other photographers about competing hosting sites. I can't stand the thought of doing this restoration of my galleries once a month.

Archive tool is taking ages to restore my galleries, it has been hours now and very few are restored. I am interested in opinions from other photographers about competing hosting sites. I can't stand the thought of doing this restoration of my galleries once a month.
What is the purpose of your hosting (e.g. family, friends, sharing, sales, portfolio, etc.)? There are a lot of solutions depending on what features you want and what you are trying to accomplish.

--Ken

The purpose for my photography is to promote an appreciation for wildlife, and to encourage people to support efforts to protect wildlife and wild areas. It is a public website, and I have a large list of friends and friends of friends who like to see my photos from Africa, the Arctic, Australia, Canada, etc. I encourage them to share the link to my site with friends who also have an interest in wildlife.

The purpose for my photography is to promote an appreciation for wildlife, and to encourage people to support efforts to protect wildlife and wild areas. It is a public website, and I have a large list of friends and friends of friends who like to see my photos from Africa, the Arctic, Australia, Canada, etc. I encourage them to share the link to my site with friends who also have an interest in wildlife.
If downloads are not expected, you could use a platform like Wordpress.com, especially if your images will be accompanied by text or you want comments from guests?

--Ken

... I can't stand the thought of doing this restoration of my galleries once a month.
What are you referring to needing to restore galleries once a month? When a gallery is updated the clock starts and you have several months(14?) before it is considered dormant and gets archived. It's a PITA but can be managed until you come up with a long range plan.

Zenfolio has some incompetent IT people if they cannot maintain performance with their servers. I have always preferred to pay for server space with someone like 1and1.com and then put together my own site or buy a package and have it installed on one of their servers. I have done this for more than 20 years and I am in the process of creating a new PHP level website and e-store at this time. It takes longer but I have full control now and in the future.

Back