Zf as a back up camera. Any disadvantages?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

All very good points Brian. However, for me using the touch screen to select a focus point fails on two counts. First and most important is that I found with my Fuji XT-4s that being left eyed means I have to turn off the touch screen or my nose take over the focus point selection for me! Second I want to be able to move the focus point without taking my eye from the VF.
My most recent Fuji was the X-T3 so didn’t have that option. Does the X-T4 allow you to define the area of the screen to use for the trackpad style focus selector? The Zf lets you define the area of the screen to use so you may be able to make it work, but would depend on how far you have to reach to get to that area. For me this option works really well and I don’t need to remove my eye from the EVF to use but I can see how it may be an issue for you. I’d imagine the joystick is already difficult enough to use.

My most recent Fuji was the X-T3 so didn’t have that option. Does the X-T4 allow you to define the area of the screen to use for the trackpad style focus selector? The Zf lets you define the area of the screen to use so you may be able to make it work, but would depend on how far you have to reach to get to that area. For me this option works really well and I don’t need to remove my eye from the EVF to use but I can see how it may be an issue for you. I’d imagine the joystick is already difficult enough to use.
Thanks for clarifying that the touch screen for focus point works for you. I imagine it will for me.

Personally, if my main camera was a Z9 I would buy a Z8 as a backup the next time Nikon runs a promotion on them. If my memory serves me correctly the best promotion was $400 off during the winter holidays.

I’m not sure I would concern myself with a backup camera. After 57 years of owning SLR’s, DSLR’s, and Mirrorless cameras I have only had one fail. That was after riding across country on a two cylinder motorcycle with the camera in a tank bag. Now a second camera is another issue. I always have two camera bodies the same for seamless transition between them. Nothing worse than picking up a second camera/lens combo in a rush to shoot, then just staring at it trying to figure out which buttons do what.

No defined limit on the LCD on the XT- 4 Brian, but as you say, even if it did I don't think it would be workable. I can se the joystick OK though. My nose only touches the LCD mainly on the RHS 1/3rd in landscape orientation and the bottom 1/3rd using portrait. So if I could define the LHS as the AF touch area I'd have to use my left thumb and release my grip on the lens.

I have read about some really nice features and I like the nostalgic approach, but I never had one in my hands up to now. For me this wouldn't be an option, simply because the entire UX and handling would be totally different to what I am used from my primary body.

I had bought a used Z6ii as a back up for my Z9. I have been pleased with it for scenics, but found it was very hit and miiss for people shots in terms of focusing sharply. So I have it up for sale and am looking for a suitable replacement. The Zf seems to fill the bill especially in terms of the Expeed 7 auto focus. I’m wondering what users might see as the main disadvantages of this camera. I realize it will depend on what people are trying to use it for though.
Another consideration is to wait and see what the new Z6iii offers although I don’t imagine the auto focus will be any different from the Zf and this is the most important criteria for me.
In case you are a pro I woulnt recommand the ZF , not because its not great camera ... the reason is about the diffrences in interfaces between the Z9 and Zf. If your not a pro or your tasks are not dynamic i would go for it.

In case you are a pro I woulnt recommand the ZF , not because its not great camera ... the reason is about the diffrences in interfaces between the Z9 and Zf. If your not a pro or your tasks are not dynamic i would go for it.

Wrong. I'm a pro. I use Z9. Two actually. And the Zf. A great companion, shooting B as well as A-roll. No issue going back and forth, in same sessions.

I use a Z9 and Zf. The Zf’s AF is somewhat worse than the Z9 overall. It’s usually not a large difference, but the times when I notice it most are in low light, and with AF tracking at long focal lengths. Both are common wildlife scenarios.

The Zf as a backup for any purpose other than wildlife is a slam dunk—it performs great and it uses very little space in a bag.

The Zf as a backup for wildlife…. You just have to know that you’re going to lose performance. You’ll still get a lot of shots, and it’s far better than the Z6II, but it’s not the “99%” performer than the Z9 is.

Once again, the information and experiences here are invaluable. Thanks to all who have contributed to this post. It has certainly dispelled any qualms I had about getting the Zf. As I have thought before, as photographers we have to get clear about what is important to us in a camera, and remember what might be to another one is not necessarily applicable to us. Even the people not keen on it were helpful because it helped clarify what was important to me. What 'Nimi' just said above was very helpful: that he can switch between the Z9 and Zf easily. I will not be having another telephoto on the Z9 hence whether it's not quite as good for birds is irrelevant to me. If my Z9 failed, I'd still get some decent bird photos I will be using the Zf for scenic shots that grab my attention while birding, and even people shots. Have got some great ones of other birders. Mainly I'll be carrying it around in towns and looking for good shots while travelling or here in Vancouver.

I had bought a used Z6ii as a back up for my Z9. I have been pleased with it for scenics, but found it was very hit and miiss for people shots in terms of focusing sharply. So I have it up for sale and am looking for a suitable replacement. The Zf seems to fill the bill especially in terms of the Expeed 7 auto focus. I’m wondering what users might see as the main disadvantages of this camera. I realize it will depend on what people are trying to use it for though.
Another consideration is to wait and see what the new Z6iii offers although I don’t imagine the auto focus will be any different from the Zf and this is the most important criteria for me.
I think the ZF needs to enjoy growing its legs a little longer in the market place before the Z6 III comes out maybe with the same or similar features.
Also i believe they will be different cameras for different users and purpose.

The Z8 is a better camera than the ZF and even the Z6 III so maybe spend that little extra and get a good Z8 deal or even a used one.

The ZF will be a little fiddly with dials etc by comparison, also balancing on larger wild life glass.

People i now who have the ZF love it as a great travel camera and for street photography etc.

The short answer is, skip the ZF Z6III both and just kiss up to the minister of treasury and get a Z8, if your plea is rejected then the Z6III is worth the wait especially in ease of use to your Z9.

My tip is the Z6III wont be cheap, the Z8 and Z9 has just had a massive price hike here in OZ hence i grabbed a Z8 on sale at the old price just in time with a day to spare, this i feel is so the price point can be higher for newer models coming down the pipeline ie: Z6III Z7III and the new DX version.

Only an opinion

Update. I took both my Zf and Z9 out and shot some photos of ducks. I the AF on the Zf appears to have excellent eye detection. I used 3D and a little black box appeared around the eye. I was using the animal option. I imagine Nikon will add bird eye detection in a future firmware update. I could not tell the difference in the photos taken with the 2 cameras when they were the same size on the screen. These were bird shot that didn't have to be cropped. Otherwise the Z9 is the only way to go.
Again the camera amazes me.

Update. I took both my Zf and Z9 out and shot some photos of ducks. I the AF on the Zf appears to have excellent eye detection. I used 3D and a little black box appeared around the eye. I was using the animal option. I imagine Nikon will add bird eye detection in a future firmware update. I could not tell the difference in the photos taken with the 2 cameras when they were the same size on the screen. These were bird shot that didn't have to be cropped. Otherwise the Z9 is the only way to go.
Again the camera amazes me.

My experience as well. Personally, I overestimated the importance of the 45mp sensor we have on our 9s, at least for what I shoot. One of the things I love about the Zf is the ability to shoot a smaller, RAW uncomrassed on a FF sensor. It's a great camera.

Best part about the 45mpix sensor to me is the ability to set the camera to DX mode. You get smaller RAW files and a cropped viewfinder, which makes it easier to frame when your subject is too far away for FF anyway.

But I agree, the Zf is good at pretty much anything you ask of it. I was expecting it to be great for candids and city shooting. I was not expecting it to be great at wildlife, of all things!

I have always used my Z9 for sports and fast action but I am going to give the Zf a try and see what I think.
100% you will love the ZF, 14 fps small light, 8 stops of IBIS 10 stops of low light focus, it ticks a lot of boxes as a camera, as i said so may people who have it love it as long as you can deal with the difference in controls.
Is it a Z8 killer NO but does it need to be.

I am a DF owner with an Italian hand made leather case and i look the part LOL, i love it, only 16 mp 5.5 fps LOL just as many people hate it and say its junk, ok a D600 with a D4s sensor and a retro top bingo and a high price point, yes true, but gee i get some really awesome 8000 and 12800 ISO shots even on a 300 2.8 VR II with a 2 x TC III, but that's me.
The DF was great at the time and served me so well, Nikon dropped a new Shutter and sensor for me in it when it blew the shutter, so its got only about 5000k actuation's, not worth selling..........good travel camera on a Ziess 50mm 1.4.

The ZF is clearly highly advanced as well as different and packed with new technology, speed and features, i love it, so do many other people,you wont be disappointment.
For me i had it on my radar, other than 24 mp i would have grabbed one, but the Z8 power house at a sale price was to hard to pass up.
Also.................. sorry i just love 45 mp and once you have that you never go back LOL.
I just swapped out my Z9 for A Z 8 and its a glove that fits my hand and needs more, nothing wrong with the Z9, just big and heavy that was an issue in cases.
So far the move to the Z8 over the ZF and Z9 has proven to be correct for my needs.
My next move will be to pick up a Z7III that will have the new features of the ZF but at 45mp, Nikon knows how to milk our wallets LOL.

Only an opinion

Back