Zf as a back up camera. Any disadvantages?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I had bought a used Z6ii as a back up for my Z9. I have been pleased with it for scenics, but found it was very hit and miiss for people shots in terms of focusing sharply. So I have it up for sale and am looking for a suitable replacement. The Zf seems to fill the bill especially in terms of the Expeed 7 auto focus. I’m wondering what users might see as the main disadvantages of this camera. I realize it will depend on what people are trying to use it for though.
Another consideration is to wait and see what the new Z6iii offers although I don’t imagine the auto focus will be any different from the Zf and this is the most important criteria for me.

I had bought a used Z6ii as a back up for my Z9. I have been pleased with it for scenics, but found it was very hit and miiss for people shots in terms of focusing sharply. So I have it up for sale and am looking for a suitable replacement. The Zf seems to fill the bill especially in terms of the Expeed 7 auto focus. I’m wondering what users might see as the main disadvantages of this camera. I realize it will depend on what people are trying to use it for though.
Another consideration is to wait and see what the new Z6iii offers although I don’t imagine the auto focus will be any different from the Zf and this is the most important criteria for me.
That's what I use as a backup to my two Z9s and I like it very much. In some cases (timelapses), I actually prefer it.

my _guess_ is the z6iii will basically be a zf with a few improvements and a "normal" form factor/controls.

it seems the primary concern with the zf is if the retro design/controls will bother you

The Zf has less customizable buttons available which is probably its biggest downside; I feel like it is at least one short. The AF is quite good overall and you can assign different AF modes to buttons like the Z8/Z9. There are no dedicated iso button to turn auto iso on off and no dedicated button to change AF areas. There are no user modes or shooting banks. Remember you only have a couple buttons available to customize so you need to think through how you want to set it up. other than it is one of my favorite cameras.

My friend has the Zf. I have handled it a bit, I don't like the retro feel and it also feels surprisingly heavy. I have the z7ii which is much lighter for comparison.

I think the Zf has some interesting features and O suspect the Z6iii will be similar or better.

I may get the Z6iii it will depend on what it has to offer in convenience, features and performance.

The lack of a focus point joystick is the biggest issue for me. I posted a thread about it:

I thought that maybe with the latest AF technology the joystick was now redundant, but most agreed with me that it was still good to have. I use vintage manual fous lenses a lot and although IIRC the Zf can use some of its AF functionality with manual lenses, there has been some that say it does not work.

There are also times even when using AF that you would want to move the AF point manually.

The Zf is remarkable value at its price, if you're happy with a retro ILC.

Nikon has a history of releasing new technology in its Prosumer - aka Bridge - cameras, which arrives a couple of years prior to the next flagship. We saw this in the F90x (1996) and F100 (1999), which had features appearing later in the F5 and F6, respectively.

The Zf has pixel-Shift and the enhanced VR (linked to the focus point/cursor), and its 2 Custom Area modes allow up to 72 sizes (Z9 allows 19 as I recall).

fyi "For decades, Nikon had a habit of bridging their professional single lens reflex camera releases with a lower-spec, enthusiast-level SLR camera. The N8008 bridged the gap between the Nikon F3 and F4, the N90 the gap between the F4 and F5, and in 1999 the Nikon F100 would link the F5 (released three years earlier) to the upcoming Nikon F6. Nikon’s bridge cameras often offered customers the opportunity to try the latest camera technology before it made it into a flagship for professionals. With the N8008 it was autofocusing and with the N90 it was a button interface replacing analog controls."

The lack of a focus point joystick is the biggest issue for me. I posted a thread about it:

I thought that maybe with the latest AF technology the joystick was now redundant, but most agreed with me that it was still good to have. I use vintage manual fous lenses a lot and although IIRC the Zf can use some of its AF functionality with manual lenses, there has been some that say it does not work.

There are also times even when using AF that you would want to move the AF point manually.
It does lack the focus point joystick but you can use the rear lcd screen as a trackpad to move the focus point around when using using the EVF or touch where you want to focus if using the rear lcd. Using as a trackpad works great but I often have the screen flipped around so it is closed facing the camera and as I have not used it enough I don’t think of flipping it back over with the idea of using it as a trackpad so end up using the dpad.

Using the subject detection with manual lenses with electrical contacts works great. Using it with lenses without electrical contacts still lets you magnify the eye 100% or other predefined value with the touch of a button but it doesn’t yet offer the functionality of the newest Z8/Z9 firmware that with a half press of the shutter returns you back to to no magnification so you have to take the shot without seeing the entire image or press the minus magnifying glass button a few times to get back out. It is by far the best manual focus lens experience I’ve used and very much likely going to fix the one or two quirks with a firmware update.

Is the Zf’s 24MP sensor not a concern for backing up the Z9’s 46MP sensor?

Personally, I’m interested in a Zf for standalone use for urban travel, family, motorcycling… and primarily with wide MF glass.

Personally, I’m interested in a Zf for standalone use for urban travel, family, motorcycling… and primarily with wide MF glass.
If you are someone who does a lot of cropping you might not like 24MP but if you only crop a little or not at all, it is fine. 24MP was considered a lot for a while and now a normal pixel count. I may not use it for small birds where I have to crop often but I’ve been happy with it for everything else. I’m really liking it so far as a travel camera though I haven’t had it long enough to take it many places yet.

I tried every which way to acquire a Zf ahead of a trip to France and Portugal earlier this month, but failed to get authorization. Instead, I took my Z8, several MF lenses (from 21 to 125mm) and my 600PF. Walking 6-8 miles every day, I would have appreciated a somewhat lighter body, but I did perhaps get a better cardio workout, even if not easily measured… :)

It's a smaller hammer, so depends what you're trying to accomplish. For timelapse, for example, it's a better tool: less dense (smaller files) uncompressed RAW in full frame sensor.

The definition of a backup camera includes a couple of perspectives. I think of a backup camera as a camera to be used as a primary camera when the primary camera fails. In that role the ZF is a very good backup - it's a smaller and less expensive camera that includes many of teh features, technology, and hardware found in the Z8. In a similar manner, the Z8 or Z9 could be backup cameras with similar capabities. It's okay to have a backup camera that is different and below the capabilities of your primary camera. A Z7ii could be a good backup camera for a Z8, but it comes with an earlier AF system. The Z6ii is a good backup - but it is lower resolution and the older AF system like the Z7ii. Even a much older Z camera like the Z6, Z7, or Z50 can serve as a backup in a pinch. In this role the ZF is a very good backup camera because it carries a lot of current functionality and fills some additional needs such as a small travel camera or events camera. It can also cover the role of a camera for use with older lenses for a retro feel.

The other version of a backup camera is really as a second camera for use concurrently or replacing your primary camera. Some people like using two cameras at a time, and in that role you normally would prefer similarity. A Z8 is a lot like a Z9, but you could get a second Z9 or a second Z8. In this role the ZF is quite different in handling and controls, so it may not be a great camera for concurrent use in spite of the AF system similarities. As dual cameras it's a lot easier when both cameras have similarities. I also wonder if the feel in your hand with a ZF would be acceptable. But the other version of this is the value of a second camera that is different for dual camera situations. I might use a Z7ii or a Z6ii as a second camera if I already owned one. I might use a Z6ii or Z6 as a second camera if I wanted video capabilities and low light capabilities without much emphasis on AF. I might use a ZF if I previously had a DF and liked using a camera with my older lenses.

Part of the decision involves how much you want to spend on a camera that is rarely or never going to be a primary camera. Is budget an issue? Would you rent a second Z9 or a Z8 as a backup camera rather than owning a camera you rarely use. One point of view is using a great camera like a Z8 behind your Z9 has a very high cost per image because the actual volume with the Z8 would be low. If budget matters, you might use a prior generation camera as your backup because it minimizes the cost of depreciation.

I would only choose the ZF as a backup if I really wanted a ZF for what it is - not for the AF system for use with wildlife. That's a good secondary benefit, but probably not the main benefit of choosing a ZF over a future Z6iii or Z7iii. I would sit tight for now unless a ZF is what you really need.

It's a smaller hammer, so depends what you're trying to accomplish. For timelapse, for example, it's a better tool: less dense (smaller files) uncompressed RAW in full frame sensor.
Very true… I was reading ‘backup’ as a replacement in the event the Z9 is taken out of action. Clearly, the Zf would be an excellent companion to a Z9… or any of Nikon’s higher end lineup, ML or DSLR.

Hehe… just reading Eric’s take now…

As a back up, I meant that if my Z9 failed on a trip, I could use the Zf as an emergency back up. Yes, I couldn't crop the same way, but I'd still have a photo. Better than nothing.

The definition of a backup camera includes a couple of perspectives. I think of a backup camera as a camera to be used as a primary camera when the primary camera fails. In that role the ZF is a very good backup - it's a smaller and less expensive camera that includes many of teh features, technology, and hardware found in the Z8. In a similar manner, the Z8 or Z9 could be backup cameras with similar capabities. It's okay to have a backup camera that is different and below the capabilities of your primary camera. A Z7ii could be a good backup camera for a Z8, but it comes with an earlier AF system. The Z6ii is a good backup - but it is lower resolution and the older AF system like the Z7ii. Even a much older Z camera like the Z6, Z7, or Z50 can serve as a backup in a pinch. In this role the ZF is a very good backup camera because it carries a lot of current functionality and fills some additional needs such as a small travel camera or events camera. It can also cover the role of a camera for use with older lenses for a retro feel.

The other version of a backup camera is really as a second camera for use concurrently or replacing your primary camera. Some people like using two cameras at a time, and in that role you normally would prefer similarity. A Z8 is a lot like a Z9, but you could get a second Z9 or a second Z8. In this role the ZF is quite different in handling and controls, so it may not be a great camera for concurrent use in spite of the AF system similarities. As dual cameras it's a lot easier when both cameras have similarities. I also wonder if the feel in your hand with a ZF would be acceptable. But the other version of this is the value of a second camera that is different for dual camera situations. I might use a Z7ii or a Z6ii as a second camera if I already owned one. I might use a Z6ii or Z6 as a second camera if I wanted video capabilities and low light capabilities without much emphasis on AF. I might use a ZF if I previously had a DF and liked using a camera with my older lenses.

Part of the decision involves how much you want to spend on a camera that is rarely or never going to be a primary camera. Is budget an issue? Would you rent a second Z9 or a Z8 as a backup camera rather than owning a camera you rarely use. One point of view is using a great camera like a Z8 behind your Z9 has a very high cost per image because the actual volume with the Z8 would be low. If budget matters, you might use a prior generation camera as your backup because it minimizes the cost of depreciation.

I would only choose the ZF as a backup if I really wanted a ZF for what it is - not for the AF system for use with wildlife. That's a good secondary benefit, but probably not the main benefit of choosing a ZF over a future Z6iii or Z7iii. I would sit tight for now unless a ZF is what you really need.
Thank you. You outlined the issue of back up perfectly. I know exactly what I want the Zf for--your first definition. If the z9 fails, then at least I have something. I will use the Zf regularly with my Z24-120 for scenics and street/people shots. I have probably owned 12 Nikon cameras since the films days and never had one fail so the odds feel very slow to me. In fact the only piece of Nikon equipment that failed was the VR on the older version of the 70-300.

FWIW, I've made the decision to go with the Zf as "backup camera" (as defined above) tho I'm sure it'll become my "second camera" as well (at spot currently held by my D6) for anything not wildlife as virtually all my lenses are now S mount. However as the need for the 'backup' has eased for the moment my fear is something new will be launched and I'll find myself back in the middle of the want vs need battle :)

FWIW, I've made the decision to go with the Zf as "backup camera" (as defined above) tho I'm sure it'll become my "second camera" as well (at spot currently held by my D6) for anything not wildlife as virtually all my lenses are now S mount. However as the need for the 'backup' has eased for the moment my fear is something new will be launched and I'll find myself back in the middle of the want vs need battle :)
I think I have the same dilemma because I'm afraid the Z6iii will have some 'must have' features. However I am clear about what are essentials for me in a mirrorless camera and the Zf fits the bill. Right now I'm negotiating to buy a used Zf and if I get a good price, then I am placed well in the off chance I absolutely need the Z6iii when it comes out.

The previous thread where you were considering this made me buy the Zf. Its been a great camera so far. :)
I think I have the same dilemma because I'm afraid the Z6iii will have some 'must have' features. However I am clear about what are essentials for me in a mirrorless camera and the Zf fits the bill. Right now I'm negotiating to buy a used Zf and if I get a good price, then I am placed well in the off chance I absolutely need the Z6iii when it comes out.
I considered this as well but considering what I was really wanting this camera for I felt the Zf would probably be the better fit. I think the Z6iii will be a great camera but having a Z9 and Z8 I wanted something different.

The previous thread where you were considering this made me buy the Zf. Its been a great camera so far. :)

I considered this as well but considering what I was really wanting this camera for I felt the Zf would probably be the better fit. I think the Z6iii will be a great camera but having a Z9 and Z8 I wanted something different.
Being someone who started out with film, I love the retro design. I just have to get my hands on one and see if the lack of a bigger grip works for me.

It does lack the focus point joystick but you can use the rear lcd screen as a trackpad to move the focus point around when using using the EVF or touch where you want to focus if using the rear lcd. Using as a trackpad works great but I often have the screen flipped around so it is closed facing the camera and as I have not used it enough I don’t think of flipping it back over with the idea of using it as a trackpad so end up using the dpad.

Using the subject detection with manual lenses with electrical contacts works great. Using it with lenses without electrical contacts still lets you magnify the eye 100% or other predefined value with the touch of a button but it doesn’t yet offer the functionality of the newest Z8/Z9 firmware that with a half press of the shutter returns you back to to no magnification so you have to take the shot without seeing the entire image or press the minus magnifying glass button a few times to get back out. It is by far the best manual focus lens experience I’ve used and very much likely going to fix the one or two quirks with a firmware update.

All very good points Brian. However, for me using the touch screen to select a focus point fails on two counts. First and most important is that I found with my Fuji XT-4s that being left eyed means I have to turn off the touch screen or my nose take over the focus point selection for me! Second I want to be able to move the focus point without taking my eye from the VF.

All very good points Brian. However, for me using the touch screen to select a focus point fails on two counts. First and most important is that I found with my Fuji XT-4s that being left eyed means I have to turn off the touch screen or my nose take over the focus point selection for me! Second I want to be able to move the focus point without taking my eye from the VF.
Third, I can't imagine the touchpad is going to work with heavier gloves or mittens, like you kind of still can with a proper joystick.

Back