Zf for wildlife - AF and continuous shooting performance?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Tiago C

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi,

If you have used the Nikon Zf for wildlife photography, could you please comment on AF and continuous shooting performance? For example,
- How well does the AF track animals?
- Is there noticeable EVF lag during max fps shooting?
- Is there a drop in EVF resolution when shooting?
- How obstructive is EVF blackout during max fps shooting?

Additionally, what features have suprised you or have been especially useful?

Thank you
Tiago

Hi,

If you have used the Nikon Zf for wildlife photography, could you please comment on AF and continuous shooting performance? For example,
- How well does the AF track animals?
- Is there noticeable EVF lag during max fps shooting?
- Is there a drop in EVF resolution when shooting?
- How obstructive is EVF blackout during max fps shooting?

Additionally, what features have suprised you or have been especially useful?

Thank you
Tiago
Really keen to see what the actual users report on this one. Not that I’m interested in the Zf but this is essentially what I expect in the upcoming Z6/7 IIIs. Thom Hogan's review of the Zf has been good in this regard, particularly the AF seems to be almost the same module from the Z9/8, subject to the limitations of having Non stacked sensors. Thom also says the EVF slide show effect is improved vs the earlier Z6/7 models. The jumpy/laggy EVF slide show effect in Continuous high/H+ modes was one of my biggest complaints with the Z6/7 series.
Canon did a fantastic job with their R5/6 series despite these cameras having non stacked sensors. I hope Nikon does something similar too.

To semi-address your questions first:
- How well does the AF track animals? - Granted I have not used the Zf for birds or wildlife quite yet, I do feel the AF performance and capabilities is on par with the Z9/8
- Is there noticeable EVF lag during max fps shooting? - Not that I noticed, very similar to a 8-10 FPS DLSR.
- Is there a drop in EVF resolution when shooting? Not that I noticed.
- How obstructive is EVF blackout during max fps shooting? There is a quick blackout in the EVF between frames, but very minimal and as mentioned, the experience is just like a DSLR.

Again, in my limited wildlife/bird use...I feel the Zf is capable of capturing quality wildlife pics. Probably not the best camera to 'technically' do so, but very capable, especially with one who knows how to leverage and take advantage of all the new Nikon AF/mirrorless capabilities. The biggest limiting factor for me is the body ergonomics while using with larger lenses and during extended shooting durations. I'm sure you have heard, a lot of complaints in regards to how the body fits in the hands of many due to the lack of an embedded type of grip. Many have added a the Smallgrip to compensate and add a little more 'grip'. Of course everyone is different and it doesn't bother me. But then again, I'm using the Zf to augment my Z9 and Z8, which they use the larger glass with the Zf assigned the lighter, short-range glass. However - if needed, I would not hesitate slapping the Zf on any of my larger glass...but hopefully I'll have a mono or tripod to help in managing it.

Hope that helps!

JC

Last edited:
When I purchased my 400mm f2.8S I had to sell one of my 3 cameras... the choices were the Z9, Z6II, or Z8. I love my Z9 thus I kept it, the Z6II fetched very little in trade so I kept it, but my dealer wanted a Z8 for their rental and offered me a very good price ($3400)... sold it. I then went to Bosque del Apache with my new lens mounted to the Z9 and the Z6II mounted to the 180-600. The Z6II did ok, but I missed the AF flexibility of the Z8... I missed it a lot... a whole lot more than my words implied. When I returned I contemplated buying another Z8 or used Z9 but I did not want to spend $3500 + on a camera... enter the Zf.
My same dealer gave me $1100 on my Z6II and I purchased the Zf for my 180-600 and landscape work.
Thoughts... the AF is maybe a hair less dynamic than the Z8, but it is way way way better than the Z6II/Z7II
At high frame rate you will get the slide show effect, thus the viewfinder experience is NOT as smooth as the Z8/Z9. If you've shot with a Z8 or Z9, you will notice a difference when shooting anything above 6fps. This is the price one pays for a camera that does not have a stacked sensor... but the camera is "only" $2000
AF tracking is more than fine. If you get the lens on the subject, it will behave like the Z8/Z9.
The built in grip is too small for a long lens, so be prepared to buy the SmallRig grip... it's nice, feels good, and has a built in Arca Swiss plate.
If you are used to a Z8/Z9/Z6/Z7, you can program the two command dials to behave like the other cameras... this is how I use my Zf. However, be prepared for dials that will be harder to find. The latter is especially true if you are wearing gloves. To me, this is the biggest irritation with the camera. I can live with the slide-show viewfinder experience, the small dials are a problem for when I shoot in the cold.
There are no "Custom Banks" or "User Banks."... I think that this might be the biggest oversight with the camera. The Zf has an Expeed 7 and thus more than enough processing power to save Custom Banks like my Z9.. Shame on Nikon for not giving us this one little thing that can speed up operation when shooting conditions change... this bugs me a lot!
Finally, the Zf has too few programmable buttons. Nikon should have included either a second function button on the front (yes it changes the styling) or added an AF On button in the back... One extra button and Custom Banks would make this camera a suitable back up to a Z8 or Z9.

So what does this mean for me... I'll be using the body until I can afford a Z8 or Z9 but will keep it for casual shooting and documenting travels. I also hope to learn how to do some videography and will use the Zf for this purpose. It's a good camera and represents a "bargain" in Nikon's line-up but it is an imperfect back-up for a wildlife photographer.
cheers,
bruce

To semi-address your questions first:
- How well does the AF track animals? - Granted I have not used the Zf for birds or wildlife quite yet, I do feel the AF performance and capabilities is on par with the Z9/8
- Is there noticeable EVF lag during max fps shooting? - Not that I noticed, very similar to a 8-10 FPS DLSR.
- Is there a drop in EVF resolution when shooting? Not that I noticed.
- How obstructive is EVF blackout during max fps shooting? There is a quick blackout in the EVF between frames, but very minimal and as mentioned, the experience is just like a DSLR.

Again, in my limited wildlife/bird use...I feel the Zf is capable of capturing quality wildlife pics. Probably not the best camera to 'technically' do so, but very capable, especially with one who knows how to leverage and take advantage of all the new Nikon AF/mirrorless capabilities. The biggest limiting factor for me is the body ergonomics while using with larger lenses and during extended shooting durations. I'm sure you have heard, a lot of complaints in regards to how the body fits in the hands of many due to the lack of an embedded type of grip. Many have added a the Smallgrip to compensate and add a little more 'grip'. Of course everyone is different and it doesn't bother me. But then again, I'm using the Zf to augment my Z9 and Z8, which they use the larger glass with the Zf assigned the lighter, short-range glass. However - if needed, I would not hesitate slapping the Zf on any of my larger glass...but hopefully I'll have a mono or tripod to help in managing it.

Hope that helps!

JC

Thank you vey much!

When I purchased my 400mm f2.8S I had to sell one of my 3 cameras... the choices were the Z9, Z6II, or Z8. I love my Z9 thus I kept it, the Z6II fetched very little in trade so I kept it, but my dealer wanted a Z8 for their rental and offered me a very good price ($3400)... sold it. I then went to Bosque del Apache with my new lens mounted to the Z9 and the Z6II mounted to the 180-600. The Z6II did ok, but I missed the AF flexibility of the Z8... I missed it a lot... a whole lot more than my words implied. When I returned I contemplated buying another Z8 or used Z9 but I did not want to spend $3500 + on a camera... enter the Zf.
My same dealer gave me $1100 on my Z6II and I purchased the Zf for my 180-600 and landscape work.
Thoughts... the AF is maybe a hair less dynamic than the Z8, but it is way way way better than the Z6II/Z7II
At high frame rate you will get the slide show effect, thus the viewfinder experience is NOT as smooth as the Z8/Z9. If you've shot with a Z8 or Z9, you will notice a difference when shooting anything above 6fps. This is the price one pays for a camera that does not have a stacked sensor... but the camera is "only" $2000
AF tracking is more than fine. If you get the lens on the subject, it will behave like the Z8/Z9.
The built in grip is too small for a long lens, so be prepared to buy the SmallRig grip... it's nice, feels good, and has a built in Arca Swiss plate.
If you are used to a Z8/Z9/Z6/Z7, you can program the two command dials to behave like the other cameras... this is how I use my Zf. However, be prepared for dials that will be harder to find. The latter is especially true if you are wearing gloves. To me, this is the biggest irritation with the camera. I can live with the slide-show viewfinder experience, the small dials are a problem for when I shoot in the cold.
There are no "Custom Banks" or "User Banks."... I think that this might be the biggest oversight with the camera. The Zf has an Expeed 7 and thus more than enough processing power to save Custom Banks like my Z9.. Shame on Nikon for not giving us this one little thing that can speed up operation when shooting conditions change... this bugs me a lot!
Finally, the Zf has too few programmable buttons. Nikon should have included either a second function button on the front (yes it changes the styling) or added an AF On button in the back... One extra button and Custom Banks would make this camera a suitable back up to a Z8 or Z9.

So what does this mean for me... I'll be using the body until I can afford a Z8 or Z9 but will keep it for casual shooting and documenting travels. I also hope to learn how to do some videography and will use the Zf for this purpose. It's a good camera and represents a "bargain" in Nikon's line-up but it is an imperfect back-up for a wildlife photographer.
cheers,
bruce

Thank you very much! Another excellent answer

cheers,
bruce
A couple of things I’ll note from my VERY limited experience shooting wildlife with the Zf and a 180-600 lens.

1) Even with the Smallrig grip, the Zf is much smaller in the hand than a Z8. With the 180-600 mounted on it, the pair feels unbalanced. I found it awkward and uncomfortable for handheld shooting. It’d probably be okay on a tripod or monopod, though. My 70-200 f/2.8 was much more comfortable on it.

2) AF tracking was nearly identical to my Z9 experience except for lacking the Bird AF option. Animal AF tracked large birds quite well.

3) At its highest frame rate, the slideshow effect in the viewfinder didn’t bother me. It reminded me of my Z6 II experience.

I bought the Zf for casual photography while traveling, for family events, and for my daily walks & bike rides. I’ve gotten a few landscape shots using pixel shift and the results are impressive.

Back