Zf or Z 6II or iPhone 15 Pro Max?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

tjphxaz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’m looking for a smaller profile for street photography and candid family photography. Help me pick between Zf, Z 6II or iPhone 15 Pro Max.

I think it also depends on your preferences for focal length and “stealth”. You’ll be noticed less with a phone than anything else. Obviously the quality won’t be the same. A lot of people use the GRIii and X100 for this but you have to like that focal length.
After a phone, I find any of the Ricoh GR models to be the most discreet and smallest. They do not really look like a camera as people come to expect a camera to look like (i.e. lens sticking out of a body with a viewfinder on top). But the GR is kind of a unique camera with lots of pros and cons, so it is not everyone's cup of tea. I still have mine that I bought in 2013 and like having it as an option when I want something small and discreet with good IQ.

--Ken

Of your choices Z6ii but I'd just wait for iii that's likely right around the corner.

If you're open to other options, I'd check out the X100VI, Q3 or A7CR.

The white elephant in the room is Panasonic is rumored to potentially be coming out with a Fixed Lens FF camera to target the Q3/X100 market.

Of your choices Z6ii but I'd just wait for iii that's likely right around the corner.

If you're open to other options, I'd check out the X100VI, Q3 or A7CR.

The white elephant in the room is Panasonic is rumored to potentially be coming out with a Fixed Lens FF camera to target the Q3/X100 market.
The rumors about a possible new Panasonic body have caught my attention. I like my Nikon bodies, but for travel, I find the Z6 to be just a bit too tall to easily fit into my bags and inserts. The Sony, ironically, is a bit too short for my hands, so I am looking for that Goldilocks body that is not too tall, but tall enough to be comfortable to hold. My Olympus E-M1 Mk II currently fills that role, but I would like a FF equivalent if possible. Given that Panasonic has designed RF-style bodies over the past decade, I am hopful they can pull it off if the rumor is true.

--Ken

The rumors about a possible new Panasonic body have caught my attention. I like my Nikon bodies, but for travel, I find the Z6 to be just a bit too tall to easily fit into my bags and inserts. The Sony, ironically, is a bit too short for my hands, so I am looking for that Goldilocks body that is not too tall, but tall enough to be comfortable to hold. My Olympus E-M1 Mk II currently fills that role, but I would like a FF equivalent if possible. Given that Panasonic has designed RF-style bodies over the past decade, I am hopful they can pull it off if the rumor is true.

--Ken
I think it could be pretty cool. I am really surprised Sony has not come out with an RX1RIII. I think it would sell well.

I now own the Q3. It's the Ferrari of all the ones mentioned here imo and makes a great companion to my Z8.

I’m looking for a smaller profile for street photography and candid family photography. Help me pick between Zf, Z 6II or iPhone 15 Pro Max.
I'm with the rest of the replies…if you care about shutter speed and aperture and the like…take a regular camera. If you want something that harkens back to the old SLR days in look and feel…the Zf but the Z6II works more like the rest of the Z bodies…and personally I don't like the Zf's ergonomics. If you care about small and light and innocuous…the iPhone 15 Pro Max. if you shoot it at 1x it produces a 48MP RAW file and IQ wise is just fine…I used mine for a lot of close shots in Africa.

Which is your primary goal, a small device that fits in your pocket or a dedicated camera? I know there are a lot of people who spend over $1200 each year on a new phone because there is a minor improvement in the camera or computational processing it does to the photos to make them look better. I prefer the dedicated camera and really like the Zf. It does seem the retro styled cameras draw less attention allowing more candid shots. I’ve been on the search for the perfect small camera for many years and it doesn’t exist. There are some that do certain things very well, like the X100 line, but it lacks flexibility to be the perfect travel camera for me.

There are a few areas where the phone excels. It is generally always on you, it has the ability to focus very close up, easily fits in your pocket. I really don’t enjoy taking photos with one though. It isn’t easy to manually control in the native app, has a tiny sensor, has a lot of computational things it does to make the image look better; HDR, faking background blur, stacking to get rid of noise. You can turn everything off, but then you’re left with a tiny sensor camera with fixed lenses and the downsides that come along with it.

Cameras like the Z6 and Zf are more enjoyable to use in and make you focus more on the photos and the process to get them imo. I also think there is a noticeable difference in IQ. The downside is they are larger, even with the smallest lenses, and don’t fit in a pocket. Because of that, you may have them in a bag and need to take them out each time you want to use it. Carrying them on a strap could also get annoying on a long day out. There are still a few larger sensor point and shoot cameras available that you should also consider if going this path, but most of them are old technology now and seem to be on their way out with the exception of the X100 and GR. You may still end up leaving them at home if you decide you didn’t want to carry it around. Best of luck deciding.

I have a Sony RX1RM2 which I think is still sold. Somewhat outdated. This was Sony's competitor to the original Leica Q. It produces outstanding image quality and is almost pocketable. Full frame with 35mm f/2 fixed lens. A minor pain to use because it's so small and uses batteries prodigiously. Nevertheless, a fine street camera.

Of your named options, I would pick one of the full frames, Zf or Z6ii, because of their lowlight superiority over a cell phone.

Said above, but if you don't care about the focal length go for the iPhone. Another consideration is if you're wanting to shoot people on the street holding an actual camera (vs a phone, which everyone has now, of course) does go a VERY long way to a warmer reception to the "Hi, I'm a photographer taking photos of interesting people, do you mind if I take your photo?" question. And also noted above, candid street photos of people is a bit difficult without a lens that allows you to keep your distance. That all said, there are adapter lenses for iPhones, tho then surely IQ begins to take a big beating. Generally tho, those gigantic Apple billboards re their phone cameras are taken with the iPhone :)

Zf gives you more flexibility out of your stated goal.
. Slap a Smallrig grip + a JJC ThumbRest and it feels like a Z30. I did that.

For street:
it's quite fun even in full manual with an 85€ lens like the TTartisan 50f2. I did that.
Use a small Af lens like 28Z f2, 40Z f2 and you are done.

For family:
the 40Z f2 will do
the 24-120Z will do whatever you throw at it.

Outside the stated goal
You get eye auto-focus. Animals & people are perfect with any lens you choose.
. Slap a long lens like the 180-600 and you do birds. I did that.
. Slap a medium like 35-180z and you do mammals, cats, dogs, running kids. I use a 70-300E

For everything
You have a fully articulated BRIGHT monitor to shoot in any position at noon
You can shoot like a phone if the need arise

( the Zf is in real use like a Mini Z8 - less the cost and the bulk )

Appreciate all the responses.
Zf gives you more flexibility out of your stated goal.
. Slap a Smallrig grip + a JJC ThumbRest and it feels like a Z30. I did that.

For street:
it's quite fun even in full manual with an 85€ lens like the TTartisan 50f2. I did that.
Use a small Af lens like 28Z f2, 40Z f2 and you are done.

For family:
the 40Z f2 will do
the 24-120Z will do whatever you throw at it.

Outside the stated goal
You get eye auto-focus. Animals & people are perfect with any lens you choose.
. Slap a long lens like the 180-600 and you do birds. I did that.
. Slap a medium like 35-180z and you do mammals, cats, dogs, running kids. I use a 70-300E

For everything
You have a fully articulated BRIGHT monitor to shoot in any position at noon
You can shoot like a phone if the need arise

( the Zf is in real use like a Mini Z8 - less the cost and the bulk )
You and others who endorsed the Zf helped me decide to go that way. I was leaning there before I posted mostly because I wanted something in the Z series as I have the Z8 and Z9 and also I think I would enjoy adjusting settings via the dials. I think it would make be a more methodical photographer.

Based on your choice mentioned,

Short answer

1) I phone 15 Pro MAX
2) ZF hands down if it a choice between it and the Z6 II.

Long answer

The ZF technology is more advanced than Z6II, so if its a camera you choose then its the ZF.

If its street photography and family shots with out doubt the I Phone 15 PRO MAX hands down just delivers, IF you learn or know how to use it properly to its full amazing potential.

You can preset colour temperature, dynamic range, stack, do panoramic shots, shoot raw, edit ON THE PHONE with LR PS Snapseed, all sorts of things...............finding the features and learning to use them to their potential is the key. You also have several handy lenses built in.

ie: focus on a Mushroom at ground level, touch the screen holding your finger on it for a couple of seconds, then you will see the brightness or exposure slider appear on your screen, slide to heavily darken the screen, then with a tiny LED light, put some light on the subject to the desired taste, even adding a little colored gel on the light is creative, depending on the gel colour it may be the opposite to that in your colour wheel, often no need for sharpening or editing, its ready and in your camera album to share.

It can be tethered to a lap top if you want to schlep one around, when images are downloaded onto your lap top you can edit on the run on you lap top or even just on your phone while jetting across the world LOL.

The out come equals or even rivals some of the best attempts made with conventional ways with cumbersome conventional heavy gear, the beauty of the phone is you pop the little light and phone in your pocket and move on to explore another opportunity.

For Macro work the Phones or good small compacts are a match in heaven.

We are seeing all sorts of stunning Phone made photos in club competition entries far more often than ever.

Caveat, a good DSLR Mirror less camera with a high quality piece of glass is spectacular and has a signature look,.........................but it depends on you and what your doing need and want, be it phones or cameras is entirely a choice, they are all just tools with different benefits and outcomes.

Only an opinion

Last edited:

You and others who endorsed the Zf helped me decide to go that way. I was leaning there before I posted mostly because I wanted something in the Z series as I have the Z8 and Z9 and also I think I would enjoy adjusting settings via the dials. I think it would make be a more methodical photographer.

You'll love it, I love mine. Congrats!

I'm going to weigh in on favor of the Zf, too. I actually just sold my Z6ii and replaced it with a Zf. It's lightweight and super fun as a walkaround camera. Its the one I toss in the car when I'm just out and about now. It's fun to adapt vintage glass on it, too. But with the same chip and autofocus abilities as the Z8 and the new IBIS system, it also makes a decent backup to my Z9 in a pinch. I'm really impressed with how nice it is. Hands down much better than the Z6ii, I have no regrets selling the Z6ii.

Plus, it's cool looking.

You will enjoy the ZF its truly a great camera, you can hand hold it at very very slow shutter speeds even of a waterfall and get the milky water look LOL

I sold my Z9 for a Z8 with 2 years warranty as a temporary holding position, i was considering the ZF because i really liked it and love my old DF i still have LOL.

I just wanted 45mp as a minimum with Z9 permanence but smaller and lighter for travel etc plus i got a killer price on the Z8.

You should get a I Phone 15 Pro max anyway their being discounted every second month along with other phones like the 14 series, then you will have the best of both worlds.

Only an opinion

Last edited:

Enjoy it the way you feel it will be better for you.

I use it as a no-dial body ↕️ with a SmallRig grip & a JJC ThumbRest & a gold soft-shutter button

2024-02-23 17.34.34_Zf.DxO.jpg

In terms of iPhone I am pretty minimalistic (using single lens SE 3), but I can understand your "conflict" and it's all about your demand in terms of IQ and intuitiveness of operation in the field.

At first glance I would say - as others: Take the phone, especially because with the threee lens setup you already have a pretty decent focal range and theres enough resolution for cropping.

Where I have doubts is IQ, especially in difficult lighting conditions. I always want to be as close as possible to the desired result while spending minimum time with post, but looking at DOF /object isolation alone, you can only "emulate" this in post with the phone.

The other thing is speed. Although I don't do it, I could imagine the street photography in certain areas requires just as much speediness and intuituveness in operating my camera and I simply can't imagine how that could possibly work with a phone. I would be totally lost without the assignable controls on my camera and there ist no way having that with a smart phone - at least a naked one. But if you have to combine your hpone with additional gear to make it operate like a proper camera you can just as well take a real compact Z camera.

May be I am just too old now, but if I want want to do photography I want a proper camera in my hand. Yes, I use my phone for documentation purpose regularly, but whenever getting the image, the shooting process itself and the joy about the result of the moment is in the focus, I'll nener ever use a phone ...

Given your criteria - I'm assuming smaller / for candids is the priority - honestly the iPhone. There's nothing more compact or stealthy these days - everyone has one, they're constantly out, so people don't really notice them like they would with a larger camera.

For me the easy answer is the Zf. But based on your post / its criteria, I'd say the iPhone.

My suggestion is also for the iPhone. I was doing a 3 week trip 2019 which involved Berlin, Singapore and Sydney--all city photography. I decided I did not want to be lugging around a camera and lens all the time so I only took my iPhone 11 which was the most recent at the time. It didn't even do RAW. I never once regretted I hadn't brought my camera. Today when I look at the photos now I can't see really a difference on my 24" iMac between those photos and current ones taken on my Z9 or Zf, even when I enter full screen. Even interior shots were excellent. You will be taking an iPhone that is 4 generations newer and can use RAW.

My suggestion is also for the iPhone. I was doing a 3 week trip 2019 which involved Berlin, Singapore and Sydney--all city photography. I decided I did not want to be lugging around a camera and lens all the time so I only took my iPhone 11 which was the most recent at the time. It didn't even do RAW. I never once regretted I hadn't brought my camera. Today when I look at the photos now I can't see really a difference on my 24" iMac between those photos and current ones taken on my Z9 or Zf, even when I enter full screen. Even interior shots were excellent. You will be taking an iPhone that is 4 generations newer and can use RAW.
Seriously good to hear you say this as that's my experience in many many cases. I have taken my camera gear in my travel van on road trip holidays and the gear simply didn't see day light but over 500 photos on my phone were magical.

Back