1TB CFexpress - ROLL-YOUR-OWN for $181.00 CND

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

i think the primary potential areas for issues with diy solutions like this are:

1) the controller being used on the module
2) the fw version on the controller

basically when we buy cards, someone else has done the component selection/test. when we diy, we have to do it ourselves.

that said, when we find a reliable recipe, the result should be fine.

so my basic takeaway here is the Corsair MP600 looks promising for those so inclined

the one thing i am curious about is to see what fw it's running and if it's up to date, because that can be a factor as well
The memory card is a standard M.2 product made with solid-state chips in various sizes. This type of memory card is the current standard Dives installed in all PCs, Laptops, and gaming devices. It is not likely to need a firmware update. If the necessary firmware is to be updated, one could put it into a PC or laptop and upload the latest version. Doing this is typically not something users are comfortable doing. The chips are constantly getting higher density and faster speeds. This manufacturer's 2Tb M.2 is priced for a spec at 4,800MB/sec, slower than the latest and greatest 2230mm capabilities.

For shooting with the adapter people should note the Q&A on the sale page. I believe these speeds exceed what the Z9 can do.

How fast should my SSD read and write?
It depends on your NVME M.2 SSD drive and your CFexpress Type B card reader.Our adapter support write speeds up to 1200MB/s and read speeds up to 1800MB/s.
Anything in or around 5,000 MB/sec will do the job well in the camera. The speed increase is unlikely to be higher than 1200MB/sec, as the computer's USB ports cannot drop the data onto the Motherboards PCIe 4 channel bus at its maximum rated speed. Which is that of the CPU.

The memory card is a standard M.2 product made with solid-state chips in various sizes. This type of memory card is the current standard Dives installed in all PCs, Laptops, and gaming devices. It is not likely to need a firmware update. If the necessary firmware is to be updated, one could put it into a PC or laptop and upload the latest version. Doing this is typically not something users are comfortable doing. The chips are constantly getting higher density and faster speeds. This manufacturer's 2Tb M.2 is priced for a spec at 4,800MB/sec, slower than the latest and greatest 2230mm capabilities.
yep, i'm familiar. i did a similar project here.

my point is that when you buy an off the shelf cfe-b card, the mfg will typically ensure the fw is at a level that works correctly. when we buy a 2230 card off the shelf, we don't know it's fw is up to date. and regardless, if you tested a specific version of fw, knowing what version it was would give other diy folks helpful information

i did see some problems with the sabrent rocket 4.0 in certain situations, and it makes me wonder if there is a newer fw version available, but since i don't have a TB system, it's a real pita for me to check it

the gotcha for those of us connecting these via microsoft and usb is the ms usb driver doesn't accomidate smart data afaik.
Odd, My Win11 Dell laptop has had no issues seeing the SMART data on all my devices
yep, i'm familiar. i did a similar project here.

my point is that when you buy an off the shelf cfe-b card, the mfg will typically ensure the fw is at a level that works correctly. when we buy a 2230 card off the shelf, we don't know it's fw is up to date. and regardless, if you tested a specific version of fw, knowing what version it was would give other diy folks helpful information

i did see some problems with the sabrent rocket 4.0 in certain situations, and it makes me wonder if there is a newer fw version available, but since i don't have a TB system, it's a real pita for me to check it

The Rocket 4.0 has 86% - 3700 5star. My 512Mb Sabrent CF card has performed well. I am looking forward to their new, 2280mm 8TB M.2 and what 1st adopters have to say about it.

Odd, My Win11 Dell laptop has had no issues seeing the SMART data on all my devices
my mistake. i just tried crystaldiskinfo* and it sees smart data on the usb drives. i think i was thinking of FW updates and then mentally extrapolated.

* i typically only run samsung magician since i mostly have samsung ssds and it can monitor for fw updates and it doesn't report the smart data for the non samsung drives

interestingly, it DOES appear there is a FW update for the sabrent drive (sb-2130), but i can't see any details about what it changes, and i don't have an easy way to apply it
If it is newly released build M.2, it may be worth the effort to update. Have a look at what the update document to see to determine if it is worth the effort or if you are experiencing operational issues. If it is not broken, I tend not to bother unless there is some value added that interests me. Numerous FW updates are made to accommodate newer technologies. Just my 2 cents.

as far as i can tell there is no document
For the device information on the Roll-your own, Crucial, a subsidiary of Micron, the firmware update can be found here.

Firmware for an M.2 SSD is typically issued by the manufacturer of the SSD. When an M.2 SSD is being updated with new firmware, the following components are being updated:
  1. Controller Firmware: The controller is the brain of the SSD.
  2. NAND Flash Firmware: Update firmware that manages performance, data integrity reliability, and wear levelling
  3. Physical Layer Firmware is responsible for transmitting and receiving data between the SSD and the host system, improving data transfer rates, reliability, and compatibility.
  4. Host Interface Firmware: manages communication between the SSD and the host computer boot drive or a Z camera.
These manufactures of SSD should be able to supply their updates for their brand names. The products they make for others, should supply their updates.
Western Digital: Known for their WD Black and SanDisk SSDs.​
Samsung: Produces SSDs under their brand, as well as for other companies.​
Micron: Manufactures SSDs under their brand, as well as for other companies.​
Intel: SSDs.​
Toshiba: Produces SSDs under their brand, as well as for other companies.​
Kingston: SSDs.​

For a commercial CF express card, updates, I assume, are done via your CF card reader. I have used the card since XQD the GOAT, yet not needed to updates to the SSD firmware.

The firmware update process typically involves the following steps:
  1. Downloading the firmware update from the manufacturer's website.
  2. Verifying the integrity of the update file.
  3. Backup all data on the card.
  4. Follow the Mfg's instructions.
  5. Applying the firmware update to the SSD.
  6. Installation typically ends with a “successful”
  7. Confirm your card is functioning correctly.
This is not a complex task, similar to updating camera firmware. If your card is having problems, it is worth a try. Cheers.

I have been using Sintech cards , one 1tb and 1 512mb for 2years with no problems. Used to have Nikon Z7 and Nikon Z5. Now have Nikon Z8. I´m mostly a landscape shooter so I very seldom use the high speed feature of the camera. I almost never shoot video either.

Back