4 New Z6iii Setup Videos!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was delighted to see how it worked with the Z600 f/6.3 at radical ISO ... I just processed those first three in LRC with Denoise AI it would need more work if I had serious owl photos but did ok. Now to go through and look at the first birding outing with it after dinner :)View attachment 92354View attachment 92355View attachment 92356Pretty amazing for those ISO's. Almost makes me smile more than the cats.
Holy moly.....images this sharp at those high ISO values are incredible. Thanks for sharing!!

I just dropped FOUR new Z6iii setup videos especially for wildlife and bird photographers! (Although, I have a feeling they'll help anyone get a start on setting up their new Z6iii.)

• The first video covers the Setup Menu.
  • The second video covers the Photo Shooting Menu.
  • The third video covers the first part of the Custom Settings Menu.
  • The fourth video covers the Controls menu in the Custom Settings Menu (the "I" end and button setup)

This is a MASSIVE amount of information and should help anyone out there get a jump start with their new Z6iii. Also, it's just the tip of the iceberg - I'm actively working on the NEW Z6iii Setup Guide For Wildlife Photography and it's gonna be a must-have for any Z6iii owner. That's coming soon, but for now, those videos should get you started :)

Also, please share this with anyone you know who is getting or has a Z6iii :)

Video 1 - Z6iii Setup Guide for the Setup Menu

Video 2 Z6iii Setup Guide for the Photo Shooting Menu

Video 3 - Z6iii Setup Guide for the Custom Settings Menu (Focus, Metering/Exposure, Timers/AE Lock, Shooting/Display)

Video 4 Z6iii Setup Guide for the Custom Settings Menu (Control Setup)

How about Z9 setup video? Of course, in your spare time.

I have been busy in the field and with e bird but here are some test shots of our cat indoors the day the Z6III 6-27. These are jpgs exported from nx studio imported to LRC and then exported with the preset for this forum as they came out of the Z6III no other changes. The first with the shallow depth of field and very high ISO 20,000 to 45,600 were with the Z600 f/6.3 pf which I had on when setting up the camera. I have not processed anything yet using LRC and noise reduction as needed.View attachment 92350View attachment 92351View attachment 92352View attachment 92353
Good one ken, great examples, the Z6 III is a excellent tool, its a level up from ZF which is just a brilliant camera.

Both models/tools have a clear purpose.

Gracie, looks like a experienced model, knows how to pose LOL.

I can feel the peacefulness, contentment, in the relaxed composition, the spirit is felt, the cross on the necklace in the back ground says a lot and adds an element.

Sorry mate just like the calm peaceful photo.

Lovely set of photos. The 35-150 looks like a nice lens.

I feel the 24mp Z6III offers a little more latitude when using slightly lower level F5.6 F6.3 lenses, and for use in lower light or challenging conditions.

Only an opinion

Good morning,
How does the Z6-3 image sensor, taste, color rendering, compare to the Z6-2 for non-action related subjects? For example, portraits, landscapes.

Thank you.

Good morning,
How does the Z6-3 image sensor, taste, color rendering, compare to the Z6-2 for non-action related subjects? For example, portraits, landscapes.

Thank you.
Joel, if you are asking me I didn't own the Z6ii.

I have not used the portrait impression balance feature.

I can comment on my approach for color rendering. When I got back into photography in 2022 and went to Africa I came home and processed the images. About 6 months later I realized they were oversaturated and not to my liking. I discovered Tony Kuyper's Linear Profiles. I now have a profile for each camera including the Z6iii for those that have one. I sent him a RAW last week and he added it over the weekend.

I create a preset that includes some Color Calibration and apply it on import. It also includes some base level sharpening and perspective correction and a small vignette. I then do manual edits.

If you were asking about the EVF. YES, I see a noticeable difference over the Z9 at times. I was at La Jolla Cove on a mostly cloudy day and I could see a difference.

If these weren't you questions, please clarify or maybe they were to Steve.

Joel, if you are asking me I didn't own the Z6ii.

I have not used the portrait impression balance feature.

I can comment on my approach for color rendering. When I got back into photography in 2022 and went to Africa I came home and processed the images. About 6 months later I realized they were oversaturated and not to my liking. I discovered Tony Kuyper's Linear Profiles. I now have a profile for each camera including the Z6iii for those that have one. I sent him a RAW last week and he added it over the weekend.

I create a preset that includes some Color Calibration and apply it on import. It also includes some base level sharpening and perspective correction and a small vignette. I then do manual edits.

If you were asking about the EVF. YES, I see a noticeable difference over the Z9 at times. I was at La Jolla Cove on a mostly cloudy day and I could see a difference.

If these weren't you questions, please clarify or maybe they were to Steve.
Thanks.
I need touch impressions though

Good one ken, great examples, the Z6 III is a excellent tool, its a level up from ZF which is just a brilliant camera.

Both models/tools have a clear purpose.

Gracie, looks like a experienced model, knows how to pose LOL.

I can feel the peacefulness, contentment, in the relaxed composition, the spirit is felt, the cross on the necklace in the back ground says a lot and adds an element.

Sorry mate just like the calm peaceful photo.

Lovely set of photos. The 35-150 looks like a nice lens.

I feel the 24mp Z6III offers a little more latitude when using slightly lower level F5.6 F6.3 lenses, and for use in lower light or challenging conditions.

Only an opinion
While the Z6III is a good companion for indoor people stuff with the Tamron 35-150 f/2-2.8 the Z6III gives more "bang for the buck" with the Z600 f/6.3 for low light. I took the first shot of the cat indoors at near minimum focal distance with the Z600 f/6.3 knowing that would produce a lot of out of focus area with the extreme shallow depth of field and be a good test for the Z6III low light capability. So when I saw that image at ISO 20,000 when I opened it in NX Studio that sealed the deal for me to keep the Z6III.

While the Z6III is a good companion for indoor people stuff with the Tamron 35-150 f/2-2.8 the Z6III gives more "bang for the buck" with the Z600 f/6.3 for low light. I took the first shot of the cat indoors at near minimum focal distance with the Z600 f/6.3 knowing that would produce a lot of out of focus area with the extreme shallow depth of field and be a good test for the Z6III low light capability. So when I saw that image at ISO 20,000 when I opened it in NX Studio that sealed the deal for me to keep the Z6III.
Thanks for the excellent feedback, i really think it’s a great tool and a good fit for purpose.

How did you find the new EVF..........

The IBIS improved by 60% ? does this mean that in many cases depending on what one is doing there is no need to lug a trip pod.

A 8 day trip through China's rural district, 4 Day hike in the mountains to the coast, night time street photograph y, one could leave the tri pod at home ?.

I hear you can do a waterfall shoot hand held....plus it will be very good for doing video.

In my case i shoot 95% JPEG Fine for action, so the buffer capacity is great, unlimited i am told.

On the Z8 Z9 i can flick to DX mode in cases where i need to spray at 20 fps as i have plenty of pixels in reserve, then settle back to FX at 5-10fps.

It will be interesting to see what the next generation Z8 Z9 will be, the big one is will the Z7III be 45mp or 61......i hope Nikon will be daring LOL.

Only an opinion

Thanks for the excellent feedback, i really think it’s a great tool and a good fit for purpose.

How did you find the new EVF..........

The IBIS improved by 60% ? does this mean that in many cases depending on what one is doing there is no need to lug a trip pod.

A 8 day trip through China's rural district, 4 Day hike in the mountains to the coast, night time street photograph y, one could leave the tri pod at home ?.

I hear you can do a waterfall shoot hand held....plus it will be very good for doing video.

In my case i shoot 95% JPEG Fine for action, so the buffer capacity is great, unlimited i am told.

On the Z8 Z9 i can flick to DX mode in cases where i need to spray at 20 fps as i have plenty of pixels in reserve, then settle back to FX at 5-10fps.

It will be interesting to see what the next generation Z8 Z9 will be, the big one is will the Z7III be 45mp or 61......i hope Nikon will be daring LOL.

Only an opinion
EVF is significantly better than the Z9 color, clarity, brightness etc. the only draw back is the refresh rate and that is not an issue with the viewfinder but the processor.

The IBIS is better than the Z6II was but not as good as the Z9.

I can not comment on the tripod issue since I have not used one in at least 3 years.

Buffer is unlimited if the card can handle it in Raw let alone jpg.

Z6III I can go to DX mode also and if I am not cropping much if any further then pretty good. Z9 I can go to DX and crop a bunch more.

For me low light birds and people indoors and outdoors is what it is all about.

What makes the Z6-3 better at low light? Better NR?
In a low light situation, the lens wide open will bring in the same amount of photons to the sensor. Be it a 24 or 45mp. The light will spread out on the full frame sensor area. It will be captured by lots of smaller micro sensors pixels, no difference if its 24mp or 45mp. Actually the 45mp has a better chance of catching the random photons. It will have smaller pixels that don’t get any light photons which is called shot noise, but the same is true for 24mp, it will have bigger pixels with shot noise.

What makes the Z6-3 better with noise?

In a low light situation, the lens wide open will bring in the same amount of photons to the sensor. Be it a 24 or 45mp. The light will spread out on the full frame sensor area. It will be captured by lots of smaller micro sensors pixels, no difference if its 24mp or 45mp. Actually the 45mp has a better chance of catching the random photons. It will have smaller pixels that don’t get any light photons which is called shot noise, but the same is true for 24mp, it will have bigger pixels with shot noise.

Not an engineer but the best low light performace I have had was in the 24 mp range on full frame cameras D4s and D6.

Nikon talks about the expeed sensor, a "wide ISO range" and "Tailored noise reduction delivers sharper, cleaner images in low-light environments. " How that does or does not relate to the lower mega pixels I do not know.

Time light and speed, over pixel density, MF sensors today outperform all 35mm sensors with ISO because of lower pixel density and faster speed to fill the pixel = lower ISO outcome.

Pixel density.............

The higher the resolution the higher the pixel density, higher density requires that fraction more time to fill the pixels, adding time may not be possible in lower light situations so speed is added by raising the iso, that move means dynamic range or colour is sacrificed ie Noise.

Look at a 35mm DX 24mp D7100, the pixel density is very high compared to a 35mm 16 mp FF sensor that has far less pixel density.

If you look at some of the current MF cameras they absolutely out perform all 35mm sensors with iso low light performance, check out DXO sensor rankings for an example, again the pixel density is far less in MF.

I have tried to answer you the best i can in a broad sense,........... about to land at the airport...........hope it throws a bit of light on the subject.

Only an opinion

Honestly, I'm starting to think it's really not. At this point, I've shot tens of thousands of photos with one and I still find myself keeping to the same ISOs as with my Z8/9. Looking at the Photonstophotos info, it doesn't seem to have much of an edge - maybe a third of a stop - but that's basically invisible in the real world.

Honestly, I'm starting to think it's really not. At this point, I've shot tens of thousands of photos with one and I still find myself keeping to the same ISOs as with my Z8/9. Looking at the Photonstophotos info, it doesn't seem to have much of an edge - maybe a third of a stop - but that's basically invisible in the real world.
I am seeing a difference indoors in the crazy variable light at church and in test shots here at home where I have used higher shutter speeds to freeze the action a bit more than I do with my Z9 and push the ISO's up to levels I usually try to avoid with my Z9 to avoid a trip to LRC denoise with a lot of images.

Outdoors the difference is less but most of my photography out there is bird ID as I walk through the habitat so on suddenly appearing birds in all kinds of light, all sizes, deep in the bushes, out in the sun, backlighted, in flight you name it. Since I cannot predict it I will use the Z9 most of the time it has more fast options to catch that little bird in the bush and then quickly pop up and shoot the Great Blue Heron flying by or the Coopers Hawk flashing by.

That being said tomorrow morning I am going to take the Z6III out again with the Z600 f/6.3 for a short morning birding outing to the pond 4 minutes by foot from my front door. I used it on Bald Eagles and crows chasing them there last week and it did quite well with the DR with the correct settings.

I am helping a recent high school grad with an interest in ornithology and photography and she currently has Nikon DSLR and shorter focal length lens. I have introduced her to you and your books and videos etc.. and she is doing a very good job with the tools she has. She is working full time this summer before leaving for college and saving up for a move to mirrorless.

I have not had the opportunity to try it out on pre dawn and post sunset owls and nighthawks yet.

Time light and speed, over pixel density, MF sensors today outperform all 35mm sensors with ISO because of lower pixel density and faster speed to fill the pixel = lower ISO outcome.

Pixel density.............

The higher the resolution the higher the pixel density, higher density requires that fraction more time to fill the pixels, adding time may not be possible in lower light situations so speed is added by raising the iso, that move means dynamic range or colour is sacrificed ie Noise.

Look at a 35mm DX 24mp D7100, the pixel density is very high compared to a 35mm 16 mp FF sensor that has far less pixel density.

If you look at some of the current MF cameras they absolutely out perform all 35mm sensors with iso low light performance, check out DXO sensor rankings for an example, again the pixel density is far less in MF.

I have tried to answer you the best i can in a broad sense,........... about to land at the airport...........hope it throws a bit of light on the subject.

Only an opinion
I always thought that Pixel density was a myth. Why would bigger pixels fill quicker? Because they have a bigger surface area? The same light rays shining through the lens would illuminate two smaller pixels in a 45mp sensor and one bigger pixel in a 24mp sensor.

Got out for some birding with the recent high school grad I am mentoring. We only spent a shot time over at the pond as the heat started rising quickly. Topped out at about 108f that day.

I took the Z6III and Z600 f/6.3 pf a nice combo. This time out I switched to electronic shutter rather than auto. I will stick with ES unless I think I am going to be shooting fast flying small birds etc. and might run into rolling shutter.

Some shots in shady morning light but nothing with unusually high ISO.

Here is my favorite bird ID sequence from the birding outing. A Song Sparrow feeding a Brown-headed Cowbird fledgling.

Z63_2042.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z63_2044.jpg
Z63_2045.jpg
Z63_2046.jpg
Z63_2048.jpg
Z63_2052.jpg

Back